• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

No Guid?

Country
netherlands
I've got a problem! FSDS compiles allright, but fsdstweak won't! I get this message in my cmd screen:

(0): error : XToMdl.exe Unhandled Application Exception
(0): error : System.FormatException: GUID moet uit 32 cijfers en 4 streepjes bestaan (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).
(0): error : bij System.Guid..ctor(String g)
(0): error : bij Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XmlToMdlLib.MDLProcessor.ProcessXmlStartElement()
(0): error : bij Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XmlToMdlLib.MDLProcessor.LoadFile(Stream InputStream, XPartDict PartDictionary)
(0): error : bij Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XmlToMdlLib.XmlToMdlLib.Process(Guid& ModelGuid, Stream AnimationData)
(0): error : bij Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.ProcessInputs()
(0): error : bij Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.RealMain(String[] args)
(0): error : bij Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.Main(String[] args)
(0): error :
(0): error : GUID moet uit 32 cijfers en 4 streepjes bestaan (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).
(0): error :
(0): error : Stack Trace:
(0): error : bij System.Guid..ctor(String g)
(0): error : bij Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XmlToMdlLib.MDLProcessor.ProcessXmlStartElement()
(0): error : bij Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XmlToMdlLib.MDLProcessor.LoadFile(Stream InputStream, XPartDict PartDictionary)
(0): error : bij Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XmlToMdlLib.XmlToMdlLib.Process(Guid& ModelGuid, Stream AnimationData)
(0): error : bij Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.ProcessInputs()
(0): error : bij Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.RealMain(String[] args)
(0): error : bij Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.Main(String[] args)

Can anyone point me to the solution?

Really appreciate any help! I'm building for FSX on a win10 machine.

Cees

Country
netherlands
I think I'm leaving the fsdstweak for what it is and shift focus on ModelconverterX. MCX does everything tweak does, only requires a bit more patience from the user.

Cees

I think I'm leaving the fsdstweak for what it is and shift focus on ModelconverterX. MCX does everything tweak does, only requires a bit more patience from the user.

Cees
Yes I wish that in MCX you could apply a template to configure all the textures based on preset amounts like FSDStweak does. Its a painstaking task to update all the materials each time you compile the models. It does however allow us to use FSDS 3.5.2 for the cockpits, so not all bad.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
What kind of texture presets can you make in FSDStweak then? I'm not familiar with that tool (it's at least 20 years ago I worked with FSDS).

What kind of texture presets can you make in FSDStweak then? I'm not familiar with that tool (it's at least 20 years ago I worked with FSDS).
Hi Arno,

Its kind of like MCX, but FSDSXTweak allows you to save and edit a config file that has all the projects material properties like bump mapping, specular, light mapping etc linked to each specific material name. The process is that you compile the model in FSDS, then run the FSDSXtweak plugin. When you run the FSDSXTweak plugin it applies all those material settings to specific material names in the X file and compiles the mdl.

Would be great if MCX could do this. I know MCX can save a material template, but it's not linked to a specific material and doesn't add the various material names for bump mapping, emissive etc.

See screenshots on the wiki page - it would probably explain it better!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks, let me have a look. A material template in MCX could be configured to set bump maps, etc. as well. But MCX has no option right now to use a different template for each material. Let me consider if that is something that can be added.