• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Noob MSFS 2020 Questions about .pck and .gvp files

Country
unitedstates
Edit: For anyone curious Ive made some headway. You can decompile the .pck sound files at least (not sure about non-sound yet) using Wwise Unpacker. However, the SHARED.PC.PCK file is mostly full of ambient sounds. They have hundreds of bird sounds by the way! You can unpack .gvp sound files like for ATC speech using a program I found here called GVP Voicepack Decompiler: http://mormegil.wz.cz/flying/gvpdeco/gvpdeco_en.htm

Edit 2: Updated the title so it will be searchable in the forums for people looking for similar stuff in the future. Ive also decompiled the .gvp file and found all the ATC sounds, however it looks like there is a text file that is the one I want to edit to remove sounds, at least thats what Im going to try at first. I think if I just delete references to the .WAV files, the game will only display the text in the ATC window and not try to play a sound. Downloading a compiler now to test it out before I edit hundreds of lines.

Looks like Ill have to download the SDK to recompile though.

Hey All,

I am a bit over my head here, but I had a few questions and Im hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I am not a coder, so I have no clue how to write mods for a game like this. I am a modder, and the extent of what I can normally do is just unpack files, change settings, maybe adjust a few basic graphical things, and recompile. But in this game I am at a loss of where to begin.

I am looking for a few things in MSFS 2020 and Im hoping some people might know where I should look. I have so far looked in every folder, .cfg file, etc... Looking for these things, and no luck yet.

1) How to unpack the .pck files. So far every program Ive downloaded doesn't let me unpack them, nothing works.

2) Im looking for settings related to showing the copilot while in the cockpit. There must be a simple setting somewhere I can change. When I am outside of the plane, I see my pilot/copilot, but inside they vanish. I have looked everywhere and am at a loss. I figure if I can find the setting, its probably a 0/1 type setting for both the pilot and copilot, I can then just replace the pilot meshes and textures with invisible ones and only leave the copilot, so when Im in the cockpit I can see them. Although it may be a separate setting. Either way I cant figure out how to get the copilot to show while in the cockpit.

3) I am looking for a list of all the Squawk codes used in the game. I have no clue where these are stored.

4) I am trying to find where all the sound files are stored for ATC/Pilot speech. I want to turn off my pilot speech, but keep the ATC chatter/speech. But in game the options are linked together, so I cant just turn one down, I have to turn them both down. I feel like if I could find a program to unpack the .pck files, its probably in one of those, but so far no luck as I said, and maybe its somewhere else?

5) Lastly, I am wondering if its possible to make a mod for buttons in the game that have no bindings? Its odd that we have buttons on aircraft that cant be bound to a keypress, since there are plenty of keypresses left that would allow it.

Anyways, I know its a lot of stuff Im looking for but if anyone can give me some pointers in any of these things it would be helpful to know if its within the range of my ability, and how I might go about doing it.

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
2, The outside (exterior) and inside (interior) models are typically separate. Most FS models have crew in the exterior model, but not in the interior model. I don't know of a setting that changes this universally. In previous sims there were certain addon planes that allowed you to customize this, but only for that one plane.

3. In previous sims the code given to squawk the transponder was random. In real life there are certain codes used for specific purposes; you can do a web search for those but I have no idea if FS2020 uses any of them.

4. In previous sims the ATC voices were stored in the USEnglishBig.gvp file in the main Sound folder. I don't know if this is true in FS2020.

5. I'm not sure what you mean by buttons in the game. If you mean the buttons and dials on an aircraft panel, then whether a control is clickable is hard coded in the model (assuming everything is modeled in 3D). While you can change the action of a button or dial by editing an XML file, AFAIK you cannot create a new one.

Country
unitedstates
Thanks, this was the answer I was looking for. The .pck files are still a mystery but maybe someone else knows, or maybe Ill find a working program. If I do Ill edit and update my thread.

What I mean by buttons is for example in the TBM Dauher 950m (I think I got that right), the panel for autopilot has a bunch of buttons you can push, such as FLC, VS, etc... that are not mapped in game to any keybind and are seemingly not mappable to a keybind. I was curious if there was a way to edit an xml or other type of file to tell the game "Bind FLC Key to CTRL+ALT+L" for example, even though there isnt currently a listing for it in the keybinds mappings. Stuff like that I can do by just copy/pasting code, if I know where to find it and all relevant info at least!

FS2020 is using many real squawk codes, but I dont know if they are all real. However I do notice different regions have different squawks like in real life, but I havent tried to compare it to a list in real life to see if its a 1:1 relationship yet.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I believe if the button is clickable, then there is an XML file that determines the action of all of those. I don't own the sim so I don't know where it's located. I don't know if you can create new keystrokes for actions - you could using 2D panel gauges in previous sims (OnKey), but I don't know if that is still supported here. Perhaps posting a this question in the Gauges forum (or at least the FS2020 forum) will get you that answer?

Country
unitedstates
I believe if the button is clickable, then there is an XML file that determines the action of all of those. I don't own the sim so I don't know where it's located. I don't know if you can create new keystrokes for actions - you could using 2D panel gauges in previous sims (OnKey), but I don't know if that is still supported here. Perhaps posting a this question in the Gauges forum (or at least the FS2020 forum) will get you that answer?

Thanks they were able to help me out. Turns out it doesnt show all commands by default, I had to click the filter to "All" instead of "Assigned" in order to see every option. One might say it was hidden in "plane" sight...

4) I am trying to find where all the sound files are stored for ATC/Pilot speech. I want to turn off my pilot speech, but keep the ATC chatter/speech. But in game the options are linked together, so I cant just turn one down, I have to turn them both down. I feel like if I could find a program to unpack the .pck files, its probably in one of those, but so far no luck as I said, and maybe its somewhere else?

Hi, I was just wondering if there is a way to change the co-pilot voices as (with all due respect to the ladies out there) I prefer a male co-pilot. but havnt been able to work out a way to change it. I have installed some IVONA speech voices (all TTS compatable, and set them as default windows speech, but MSFS2020 seems to just ignore them. As you were working with sound, I was hoping for some pointers. Thanks Chris

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
You can change your own plane's voice in earlier sims, I assume you can do that here too.

For the other AI aircraft's voices, the only way to do that in earlier sims was to:

1. Decompile the GVP file.
2. Remove the female voices from the XML file.
3. Recompile the GVP.

This is a relatively complex undertaking.

This file becomes tricky to edit with Editvoicepack - it will only create voices for the remaining copilots and thus you can not upload such edits to the web, for they are incomplete on other's systems.

Country
australia
Hi, I was just wondering if there is a way to change the co-pilot voices as (with all due respect to the ladies out there) I prefer a male co-pilot. but havnt been able to work out a way to change it. I have installed some IVONA speech voices (all TTS compatable, and set them as default windows speech, but MSFS2020 seems to just ignore them. As you were working with sound, I was hoping for some pointers. Thanks Chris
This is in your settings in MSFS.

Hi there Oz and Tom. Thx for your replys, mmmmm, I havnt been able to find the voice settings in MSFS2020, so must be blind. I can see the avatar changes, so changed them both to male, but still get female co-pilot, LoL (When I changed the avatar, I did yet a prompt to say language settings changed, restart sim) but still a female co-pilot

Country
australia
OK Let me try later tonight and see if I can figure it out. I woudln't go messing with files yet as I'm sure there is a setting as my co-pilot voice is currently male.

Thx Oz, I might try another carrier for the a320 to see if it changes. Im flying the Jetstar model with the silver tail, not the orange one. Ill see if that changes anything

Country
unitedstates
You can change your own plane's voice in earlier sims, I assume you can do that here too.

For the other AI aircraft's voices, the only way to do that in earlier sims was to:

1. Decompile the GVP file.
2. Remove the female voices from the XML file.
3. Recompile the GVP.

This is a relatively complex undertaking.

This file becomes tricky to edit with Editvoicepack - it will only create voices for the remaining copilots and thus you can not upload such edits to the web, for they are incomplete on other's systems.
If you don't like the co-pilot having a female voice, pick a make co-pilot ----- KISS !!!!
If you don't want a Co-pilot, then pick one and delete it's model .. (and set the co-pilot's weight to zero) --- KISS