• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ADE Odd line issues

connomar

Resource contributor
As you should see from the attached screen grab, I have the ADE representation and the MSFS view of the result. The taxiway is from one of Asobo's standard airports, where the taxiways are actually aprons. The center line is a path, running from bottom to top, with the left and right edge lines set to solid. The right side also shows a hand painted line in the position I actually want. Measurement of the taxiway width from solid line to solid line via Google Earth resulted in a measurement of 75 ft. I set the path to that width, and the edge lines were drawn with on the edge of the apron, or slightly outside the apron on the grass. The Edge lighting, which is currently only set on one side, appeared inside the solid line. I then set the taxiway(path) width to 40ft, and the screen grab shows that result. It is very much closer to what I want, but the ADE representation is showing 40 ft as it should. Anybody got any clue what is going on here?

Also, just for laughs, I drew a short Taxiway next to the apron derived version, and MSFS didn't even display that.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Martin

Attachments

• Line Issue ADE.jpg
    Line Issue ADE.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
As previously posted, I gave up on trying to place edge lines and taxi lights with path attributes. The edge lines would not follow a curve and attributes would pass from one path segment to the next past a node. Since most airports have irregular taxiways with varying widths, I found the use of aprons, vectors for painted lines and apron lighting vectors to be an acceptable solution. I'm not sure I got into it in enough detail to confirm width dimensions, but I was able to display taxiway surfaces with lines in MSFS without an apron. On the other hand, I have not been able to get vehicle paths to display the surface, just the lines.

connomar

Resource contributor
As previously posted, I gave up on trying to place edge lines and taxi lights with path attributes. The edge lines would not follow a curve and attributes would pass from one path segment to the next past a node. Since most airports have irregular taxiways with varying widths, I found the use of aprons, vectors for painted lines and apron lighting vectors to be an acceptable solution. I'm not sure I got into it in enough detail to confirm width dimensions, but I was able to display taxiway surfaces with lines in MSFS without an apron. On the other hand, I have not been able to get vehicle paths to display the surface, just the lin
Thanks for your response. It would be great if ADE imported XML for painted lines and aprons. I can't get my head around the ASOBO way of doing things. I'd much rather produce a list of points on Google Earth and import them to ADE as XML files. I've not tried vehicle paths.

connomar

Resource contributor
It should load those from a stock airport. Or do you mean importing XML from a separate file?
I mean XML from a custom created file. We had a conversation about doing this for FSX and the previous version of ADE, but this was not supported. I was trying to create aprons by importing the appropriate XML. The only way I could do it was to compile the XML separately, but then I couldn't see it in ADE, but the aprons did display in FSX. Perhaps I should add this to your new Wish List :)