• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Organizing a scenery project

Messages
49
Country
norway
Seems that my previous and rather long post has proven to be too much to ask for (People are busy I know), so I'll try with a simpler question this time.

I am working on creating a scenery of an island in the Arctic. I allready have a pretty good mesh, but it needs some fine tuning here and there (especially editing the height of a few lakes). What I want to do is recreate the airport, make a bush strip, new landclass, roads and have some 3D objects thrown around to make the area come to life (harbour, farms, factories, cars etc.).

For the rough landclass editing I use EZ Landclass since I like how the landclasses are blended together for larger areas. On smaller local edits I will use polygons and "lanclasspoly" to make corrections.

How do you suggest I organise the whole thing? How many KML-files do you make? Do you make several KMLs of smaller areas or do you do the entire scenery as one big KML-file with lots of polygons? Or do you make KMLs as different "levels" (One for mesh edits, one for landclass edits, and one for objects (piers, roads etc.)?
 
I tend to try to make the KML as big as possible- that is containing as much as possible. But with the following exceptions:
Provide a seperate bgl to exclude underlying LandClass in case someone is using add-on scenery that also covers the area.

If there are complex water features, I keep them separate from the land textures. The reason is that after any modifications to the polygons in GE, the HydroPolys need elevation data amending again. Don't bother in smaller projects though.
 
For the rough landclass editing I use EZ Landclass since I like how the landclasses are blended together for larger areas. On smaller local edits I will use polygons and "lanclasspoly" to make corrections.

You can also create landclass "tiles" using the LandClass tag (as opposed to the LandClassPoly tag).

The nice thing about creating landclass tiles in FSX KML is that they will be "blended" depending on the order in the KML. So you might like to cover a large area in forest and then cover a smaller area as a city. Just create two polygons in Google Earth, put the large "forest" polygon first and the smaller "city" polygon after it and FSX KML will "blend" the landclass so that you get the city landclass sitting on top of the forest polygon.

The same applies for waterclass "tiles".
 
Back
Top