• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3Dv4-Compatible SAMM Version 2.2.08 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country
russia
Hi,Don!
I have understood that "Don" and "Gadgets" there is a same person, just now!
Many thanks for your operation!

Konstantin

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just uploaded SAMM 1.0.08. This update contains a workaround to avoid SAMM calculating a bounding box size far larger than required (which in turn suppressed autogen in a wide area surrounding the static model) when it encountered certain unusual aircraft design techniques.

The update should be automatically detected and downloaded by existing users. If not, it can be downloaded from here.

Don

Country
us-newyork
SAMM version 1.0.08 Doesn't Work for me.

Program starts OK but problems start right off the bat. First:

In the aircraft folder line opening up the file tree doesn't show anything above the letter "N" as if the rest of the contents of the disk drive doesn't exist.

When I type in the full address including an aircraft that I know to be only from FS9 it replies:

(No static aircraft in folder)

Well isn't it the idea to change a flyable a/c into a static one?

Is this bad or did I screw up somewhere?

First time I tried it, the program tried to start an aircraft I didn't have opening two Notepad windows and it wouldn't allow me to close the program Close the error window and the whole process started again.

I have found these problems with all the versions I've tried. Maybe the program doesn't like Windows 7?

lordish

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
In the aircraft folder line opening up the file tree doesn't show anything above the letter "N" as if the rest of the contents of the disk drive doesn't exist.
Unable to duplicate. This area of the prograsm hasn't changed since its introduction. Have you tried running as administrator?

When I type in the full address including an aircraft that I know to be only from FS9 it replies:

(No static aircraft in folder)
You appear to be attempting to open an aircraft folder using the static model specification window.

First time I tried it, the program tried to start an aircraft I didn't have opening two Notepad windows and it wouldn't allow me to close the program Close the error window and the whole process started again.
Don't know what you mean by "start an aircraft" and I don't understand what you are telling me from "I didn't have openong ..." onwards. What error message are you referring to?

I have found these problems with all the versions I've tried. Maybe the program doesn't like Windows 7?
SAMM was developed on a Win 7/64 system. Since no one else is complaining about these issues, I wonder if, perhaps, you've misunderstood the user manual.

Don

Country
us-newyork
Unable to duplicate. This area of the prograsm hasn't changed since its introduction. Have you tried running as administrator?

Don

Don,

Running as administrator cleared that problem up, the full folder tree shows now. The rest of the stuff should follow. :D Just chalk my last email as total panic, something I'm REALLY good at. Thanks a lot.

lordish

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just uploaded SAMM 1.0.09. This update is simply a re-issue of the test version 1.0.08a which allows you optiionally to save textures to the main scenery \texture folder (rather than to a dedicated sub-folder) when placing static models or creating libraries.

The update should be automatically detected and downloaded by existing users. If not, it can be downloaded from here.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
SAMM Version 1.0.10 is available. It incorporates a single improvement, i.e., only those textrures actually used by the static model are saved in the scenery/library folder. (I thought I had already implemented this feature. It was only after using SAMM for my own use that I realized I hadn't.)

Version 1.0.10 is identical to 1.0.09(a) which was released several weeks ago for test purposes. Since no one has reported any deficiencies in it, I presume it's safe to release.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
SAMM Version 1.0.11 is available. It corrects a couple of recently-discovered issues. As well, the update routine has been modified to check for improvements on the new server - http://stuff4fs.com.

Other than the server update. Version 1.0.11 is identical to 1.0.10(a) which was released for test purposes a couple ofl weeks ago. Since no one has reported any deficiencies in it, I presume it's safe to release.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
SAMM Version 1.1.12 is available.

I reported earlier that I had updated the "check for update" routine to utilize my new server. That turned out not to be true. This release does, however, check the new server for updates.

Otherwise, Version 1.1.12 is identical to its predecessor. However, it is recommended that you all update to 1.1.12 since, if you don't, you will soon loose the automatically update capability.

This update should be automatically detected and downloaded. If not, it can be downloaded from here or by visiting the website http://stuff4fs.com.

Don

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
SAMM Version 1.1.13 is available.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I have added several editors to SAMM and made a few other minor improvements. For a full list, please refer to VersionHistory.pdf in the archive.

This update should be automatically detected and downloaded. If not, it can be downloaded from here or by visiting the website http://stuff4fs.com.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
SAMM Version 1.1.14 is available.

This update corrects a problem in the handling of night textures. It should be automatically detected and downloaded. If not, it can be downloaded from here or by visiting the website http://stuff4fs.com.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Since there have been no new "bugs" reported lately in either the general release or the development release, I have updated SAMM to Version 1.1.15.

This new version is a collection of fixes for all issues reported since the previous release. As well, it contains a major improvement whereby all animation code has been removed from the static models. This should result in an improvement in the "FPS hit" of static models - the greater the number of animations in the model, the greater the improveement. While you will likely see little change with AI models, converted flyable models should have a significantly lower impact.

This update should be automatically detected and downloaded. If not, it can be downloaded by visiting the website http://stuff4fs.com and navigating to the SAMM page.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Unfortunately, version 1.1.15 is not quite "perfect". It doesn't handle night textures as it should. Version 1.1.15(a), available as the SAMM Development Release from http://stuff4fs.com fixes the problem.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
SAMM Version 1.1.16 is now available. It resolves several minor difficulties reported over the past month or so.

This update should be automatically detected and downloaded. If not, it can be downloaded by visiting the website http://stuff4fs.com and navigating to the SAMM page.

Barring major difficulties, this will be the final release of Version 1. As announced in another post, the initial development of Version 2 is complete and it is available as the Development Release from http://stuff4fs.com .

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just released SAMM Version 2 generally. Current users of Version 1 will be alerted the next time they run SAMM. Alternately, Version 2 may be downloaded from http://stuff4fs.com.

Version 2 does everything Version 1 did. As well, it:
  • creates static models of FSX aircraft (requires the FSX SDK be installed),
  • has an integrated model viewer,
  • converts static models of FS9 aircraft for use with FSX and vice-versa (requires FS9 and/or FSX SDKs),
  • supports a number of texture processing features utilizing Martin Wright's graphics processing .dlls if installed, and
  • allows custom shadow generation to minimize FPS impact.
Some Version 2 features operate differently from their Version 1 counterparts. So all those upgarding from Version 1 are encouraged to review at least the first half of the User Manual. Please note also that static models created with Version 1 are not compatible with Version 2. If you wish to retain/update models created with SAMM Version 1, you should install Version 2 to to a separate folder.

Enjoy,
Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just released SAMM Version 2.1.01 generally. Current users of any earlier version will be alerted the next time they run SAMM. Alternately, Version 2.1.01 may be downloaded from http://stuff4fs.com.

Version 2.1.01 corrects a number of bugs that eluded detection during testing prior to general release of Version 2. As well, for you power users, 2.1.01 includes the last planned feature for Version 2, the simulation of global variables. With a little investigation of the design of the aircraft .mdl with SAMMs Listing and Tools features and/or with MCX, you should be able to control every animation included in the model.

Those of you who have not already upgraded to Version 2.1.00, please review the included user manual. While SAMM2 does everything SAMM 1 did - and a lot more - SAMM2's implements some SAMM1 features differently. In particular, please note also that static models created with Version 1 are not compatible with Version 2. If you wish to retain/update static models created with SAMM Version 1, you should keep SAMM1 and install SAMM 2 to to a separate folder.

Enjoy,
Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just released SAMM Version 2.1.02. Current users of any earlier version will be alerted the next time they run SAMM. Alternately, Version 2.1.02 may be downloaded from http://stuff4fs.com.

Version 2.1.02 corrects a number of mostly-fringe bugs (i.e. unlikely to be encountered with the majority of aircraft models). But a bug reported this morning had the potential to declare certain .dds textures for FSX models as missing and leave the model untextured. Hence the re-release.

Those of you who have not already upgraded to at least Version 2.1.00, please review the included user manual. While SAMM2 does everything SAMM 1 did - and a lot more - SAMM2 implements some SAMM1 features differently. In particular, please note also that static models created with Version 1 are not compatible with Version 2.

If you wish to retain/update static models created with SAMM Version 1, you should keep SAMM1 and install SAMM 2 to to a separate folder. But, it's so easy to re-create those static models with SAMM 2 that I don't know why you'd want to.

Enjoy,
Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Some of you recognize that SAMM has difficulty with very complex FSX models. For the past few days, I have been experimenting with ways to avoid some of those issues. I'm happy to report that I have made some progress.

I have just uploaded SAMM Version 2.1.04 to my server http://stuff4fs.com. While it's still not perfect, I does a better job than previous versions. Current users of any earlier version of SAMM will be alerted to the update the next time they run SAMM. Alternately, Version 2.1.04 may be downloaded from the server.

I have incorporated the same improvements in the Development Release 2.2.00(j). This development release adds an airport populator to SAMM that, among other things, interprets AI traffic files, automatically creates static models of the AI aircraft (assuming they exist on your system) and places those models in the same parking spots they would occupy as AI. With a little manual intervention, you can mix static models and AI - even from the same traffic file.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I finally found the problem that caused parts on certain aircraft to be misplaced. It is fixed in Version 2.1.06 - just uploaded. Current users of any earlier version will be alerted the next time they run SAMM. Alternately, Version 2.1.06 may be downloaded from http://stuff4fs.com.

Unfortunately, one other issue remains. That is, certain parts of a few aircraft (notably the pilot's door on the stock C-172) do not responding to the static offset and appear lower than they should. I know what causes this, but to fix it would require a major redesign - which "isn't in the cards".

There are (at least) three workarounds.
  1. remove the static offsets from the model and apply it in the XML placement code,
  2. pass the model through ModelConverter X, or
  3. find another model.
Enjoy,
Don

Country
unitedkingdom
I wondered if anyone here could translate the following into homer so I know what problem I have?

INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR C1003: Failed to create MSXML object! (0x80040154)

Parsing document: C:\SAMM2106\mi6_open.xml

ERROR C2470: Unrecoverable error parsing XML!
ERROR C2006: Parse failed (0x80004005)
ERROR C2003: Failed to process file: C:\SAMM2106\mi6_open.xml

I have been running SAMM2106 succesfully until a full system reinstall last week. I have Windows 7 ultra, MakeMDL_SDK, and fs9 installed. I have had this error on a couple of models that previously converted without a problem, I always open SAMM2 as administrator.
I tried them again as a test and got the same message as above. So I guess I have missed something basic as usual.

Any help greatfully rec'd

Steve

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.