• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Panama Airport Tocumen Intl. (MPTO) 2021: In Progress!!!

Country
panama
Hey Guys, this is something I wanted to make from long time ago and I finally got the time to start working on it, Already 3 months in, its taking a lot of time since I'm on my own and the Amount of Research this has required is HUGE for every aspect of its functionallity as well as its visual details and appereance, (Specially deciphering every single label on the floor) Im trying to stay as Truth to the Real thing as Possible so bear with me, this will take me some more time, but here you can see some of the views I have so far:

FlightSimulator_87btDqeX1V.jpg

FlightSimulator_fox26LyJe8.jpg

FlightSimulator_TWm0rLYGN7.jpg

FlightSimulator_L8c2nZFdEc.jpg

FlightSimulator_qEa84KlL9S.jpg

FlightSimulator_htQoHkeuWQ.jpg

FlightSimulator_gXnBUSd3AI.jpg
FlightSimulator_P8ottimBMM.jpg

FlightSimulator_XNnn9iHsdE.jpg

It has been a Huge Struggle to figure out Everything since its my very first attempt in making an Airport in a Flight Sim, but as a Panamenian I feel Compelled to make the best rendition I can of our International Airport, specially it being a Hub of the Americas and our 2nd terminal having one of the most modern designs of the region.

NOTES:

The Current T1 and T2 Models, as well as the Cargo Area and Fuel Tanks Depo are NOT Final, Im just using them as PlaceHolders to test proportions, once every angle and measurement are defined I'll start modelling and texturing the final versions of them. Now Im mainly focusing on Functionality and visual Ground Directions, All Taxiways, Vehicle Roads and Parking Gates are named and fully, operational already, Im very actively working on it to finish as soon as possible.

For anyone interested in this Airport please be patient since its heavy work but it will get there!!! and Thanks to anyone who went through this post =D

Country
unitedstates
This looks great. I did a "quick and dirty" version of MPTO months ago for our virtual airline, but never took the time to make the custom building models. So, I know what a large project this is...very ambitious for a first project. I am glad a native Panamanian is doing it, since you will be better able to get good/accurate textures and will be able to get a more accurate idea of the building details than the satellite and internet pictures which were my only source. I do hope you look into using the terraform/terrain profile for the runways; Google Earth shows that 03L as a bit of a rollercoaster.

Country
panama
Thanks Guys!
And thanks dale in cda! Oh I think I never saw your version, have only seen 2 so far, one from 2018 or 19 which was also for Xplane 11 and one made by some Chinese I believe, and I know those would have been massive works at its moment but they seem somewhat obsolete now, so I wanted to make a much more accurate version that fits as flawlessly as possible with the Sim graphics.

To tell the truth, I knew this was going to be a big work, but everytime I feel like it gets bigger and bigger XD, sooo much stuff to make and pay attention to, and you'll be surprised that even tho I have been here all my life, and traveled through the Airport a Lot, I dont think it has been so much easier XD, also with the Pandemic is not like I can just go to the airport, and I live very far from it too XD So I've kept searching for reference every single week since I began, there's always an area or something that I cant see, good references for latinamerican stuff are never easy to find, at least by internet, even for us XD But knowing local names, companies, areas, and being a spanish native speaker does help hahah. (Plus also I have a Pilot friend who has helped me in understanding some things about the airport too)

This is My Reference Board so far, it has been really hard to get most of those, but I think I have mostly what I need already:

PureRef_IvFNkxEDqG.png

About Terraforming yeah, I made everything absolutelly flat XD, I know no terrain is 100% Flat but, I dont want to make up elevations just because without having accurate info on it, and also the system is preeeety buggy =/

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
If you would like, I can sent you the runway elevation information I took from Google Earth. The only thing is there will be height blending work on the south part of the main apron -- you would need to also learn some about terraforming with rectangles and polygons. It is not very difficult (seeing how much you have already done well). I will add that adding the terraforming to 03L took away all the problems I originally had with the elevations in that corner of the airport.

Country
panama
Oh would be glad! Sure thanks! Yea I stopped messing with terraforming and polygons when it totally screwed my taxiways, but could keep giving it a try.

Country
unitedstates
Most of the terraforming problems I had at MPTO was from trying to make the drainage depressions.

Anyway, here ya go. Hope you can make it work for you.

Attachments

• mpto_rwy_profiles.txt
    7.1 KB · Views: 114
Country
panama
Hahhaha, Damn I JUST tried to get those today XD, with no success =/ Its a shame you cant subdivide the area of the airport, not enough polygons to support tiny depresions.

Thanks for the File, gonna check it out!

Country
panama
Some updates, have done All signs for streets already and started placing the Taxi Signs, those are really hard to figure out because I have no documentation on them other than randomly spotting them in pictures and videos as well as just making up others.

FlightSimulator_Ks1NqLStkp.jpg

FlightSimulator_8OUyLYsPBh.jpg

FlightSimulator_DKjMHYehV3.jpg

FlightSimulator_GY4aHDb37h.jpg

FlightSimulator_GzDoSvf3G0.jpg

Country
unitedstates
Some updates, have done All signs for streets already and started placing the Taxi Signs, those are really hard to figure out because I have no documentation on them other than randomly spotting them in pictures and videos as well as just making up others.

View attachment 74180

Looks great, but the taxiway line that is red should probably be an orange color. Red is normally used to indicate danger or "vehicles not cross when aircraft operating. While alternate taxi paths are blue and orange [Airports Council International, "Markings and Signs Handbook," 2nd edition]

Country
panama
Thanks! Well thanks for that info, had no idea on that, most pics that line looks preety much red, but there's one Pic where its like a very intense orange, its still more in the Red Spectrum but not totally so its like an intense orange, I will change it =P

Btw been struggling into modelling the 2nd Terminal, The shape themselves are not complicated but trying to make everything fit according to all structures, specially jetways and pillars and the roof structure has been really problematic, its just not possible to get it without actually having the blueprints on it, but here's the blocking for the final shape:

FlightSimulator_uETQoWGVtI.jpg

FlightSimulator_U0PNk60nYb.jpg

FlightSimulator_Q4XNnpIOPk.jpg

Obviously all details are missing and there are still some positioning corrections to make, colors not final, etc, but just posting some progress ;P

Country
panama
T1 Parking Area and Electrical Station Area Update:

FlightSimulator_OUczmnTUXR.jpg

FlightSimulator_fWUoYzOLLd.jpg

FlightSimulator_vaCvz9A25K.jpg

FlightSimulator_UaKZRyqzRM.jpg

FlightSimulator_EEEckzneXg.jpg

As always still things to fix here and there, figuring out all this area has been sort of a nightmare and also you have to consider that the Satellite Image Im using as reference to match everything does not match the applied satellite image within the simulator (I have no idea why) since the image MUST be the same, but seems like MSFS makes some weird distortion of it inside the sim, so nothing that I make ever matches within the sim, I have to go back and forth several times rearranging proportions on everything and this has been a Huge Pain and setback during the whole project, hence why its taking so damn long just to make the blocking of it.

Anyway thankfully Im nearly done figuring out the layout of the whole thing, once this step is done the fun part will begin, detailing and texturing ;P

Country
panama
T1 Parking Area and Electrical Station Area Update:

View attachment 74984

View attachment 74985

View attachment 74986

View attachment 74987

View attachment 74988

As always still things to fix here and there, figuring out all this area has been sort of a nightmare and also you have to consider that the Satellite Image Im using as reference to match everything does not match the applied satellite image within the simulator (I have no idea why) since the image MUST be the same, but seems like MSFS makes some weird distortion of it inside the sim, so nothing that I make ever matches within the sim, I have to go back and forth several times rearranging proportions on everything and this has been a Huge Pain and setback during the whole project, hence why its taking so damn long just to make the blocking of it.

Anyway thankfully Im nearly done figuring out the layout of the whole thing, once this step is done the fun part will begin, detailing and texturing ;P
Any updates on this?