• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Panel Bitmap Question

Country
us-texas
I don't see anywhere in the forums where Panel Design is mentioned, but I have a question and this at least seemed like the more likely area than any other.

I have a vc panel for an FS9 portover that has an open area below it that allows you to see the outside world. I want to close that gap. The particulars are unimportant at this point, I've been successful in doing just that, however my dilemma has to do with what is happening to the bitmap once I load it in the sim.

The bitmap is 1024x768 true size. I load it into DXTbmp and then transfer it to PSP8 for editing. I save the edited bitmap (no physical change in size has taken place) and import it back into DXTbmp. Still the size is constant (1024x768). I save it in the format it was loaded in (16bit 555-1 w/alpha) and close the program. Load up FSX and load the airplane and the bitmap has been distorted (width remains constant but the height has increased significantly). No good!!

I continued after that to experiment with different conversions to see if somehow that was causing a distortion, even though it was not visible in the program. Nothing changed. Finally, I simply loaded the bitmap into DXTbmp, saved and then loaded it into FSX and still the bitmap had been distorted. Apparently just the function of loading the bitmap into that program causes a distortion, but why this one bitmap? I do this a dozen times a week with different airplanes and I've never seen this before.

So anyone want to take a stab at this one? Just some additional info. While most VC panels I work with have the texture as part of the "texture" folder, this one happens to reside in the panel folder. However, I just finished redoing Milton Shupes Howard 500 VC to HiRes textures and all of those were in the panel folder, so I don't see that as a contributing factor to the current problem.

Country
us-texas
Thanks to all 49 who at least took a look at the question. I have figured out a way to make it load correctly. I have no idea what I did, or why this method works and the normal one did not, but I'm moving on.