• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS prevent model from appearing in SDK object list after installation of 3rd party addon?

Country
canada
I've noticed that when i download an addon the models from said addon now appear in my SDK object list. I'm worried about this as a developer for 2 reasons.

1: I may inadvertently use use a model that I don't have rights to thinking its from the vanilla game, which can cause issues to my product down the road.
2: others can use models from my addon in their work, which can cause liability problems for both me, and other developers who get hit in the head with reason number 1.

Is there any way to prevent 3rd party content from showing up in the SDK?

Last edited:
There's been a few discussions about this, with some different solutions. The simplest way is to check the properties of the object -- the package name is shown. Here, the package name is 'fs-base'.

screenshot_63.png

At the moment the only way to prevent this content from showing in the list is to remove the content. Since this is a nuisance to do all the time, then a compromise might be to wait until ready for release, remove all third party content and check for rebuild errors.

But the best solution relies on the developers -- it's easy enough to designate all your model names with your id. My general library objects generally start with GZ-, and specific project objects use the ACAO, so I know that they are mine, and are easily recognisable as third party content.

There's been a few discussions about this, with some different solutions. The simplest way is to check the properties of the object -- the package name is shown. Here, the package name is 'fs-base'.

View attachment 71163
At the moment the only way to prevent this content from showing in the list is to remove the content. Since this is a nuisance to do all the time, then a compromise might be to wait until ready for release, remove all third party content and check for rebuild errors.
I use MSF Add-on Collector. This allows me.to keep.any add-ons outside the community folder, and just tick the add on I want to activate.

When building my own scenery, I untick all the add ons. That way other people's models don't show in the list, and saves having to keep move files.

Hope this helps

Steve

Seriously, move all addons to a backup folder before you start your development work, or use the solution above. Anything else in not dependable.

Thanks for the tips guys. So far I've been using rhumbaflappy's advice and keeping my community folder clear of 3rd party assets.

There is still the issue of piracy though. When I buy assets I'm responsible for how they're used, not only that, I make my own assets that I'd rather not have other developers have access to use in their work, particularly the free addon group who can do some amazing work, but are much less inclined to worry about permissions than others.

It just seems like an oversite by Asobo to allow this. I've contacted the legal team at turbosquid to ask them their view on the situation as I'd reallllly hate to have something like this to bite me in the ass down the road. it doesn't seem like this is the kind of thing I should be liable for, but lawyers are infamous for throwing anything at the wall and seeing what sticks...

Really, good practice for all content designers is to add an unique prefix to their asset names, like the airport ICAO or the "brand"/"nickname"/"initials"/whatever. And use only lower case, as I noticed that Asobo assets names always start with an upper case and thus are all loaded above assets having only lower cases.

Back