• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Problem Moving Default River Path

Country
us-georgia
Rebuilding airport layout at KRFD and need to relocate the river next to the airport. I used Sbuilder to create a VTP file to alter the river path by modifying the HL924160 file. Then an LWM file to move the visual water display to the proper location using the HP924160 file. Problem is the original water display (not sure what technical term to use) did not disappear. So now I have two images of the altered section. Could not find a tutorial on this so far. Wondering if I missed a step somewhere. The first file was a VTP file and the second an LWM file. Any help would be appreciated.

Country
us-georgia
I think I found the problem. Need to do a Land Mask over that area. Next figure out what order to layer the river and water elements.

Country
madagascar
Layering problems can be averted if you don't modify the HLxxxxxx.bgl file. Leave the default file(s) as is in the default supplied FS scenery, and work on your water and land polys on a new scenery declaration, both in the same scenery directory. Land and water are not mutually exclusive. That will override the default HL file. You may also need VTP excludes (layers 1 to 8) to exclude shorelines, etc., then build your own with VTP lines (can get them from polygons I believe).

The BIG problem with land polygons as opposed to water polygons - unless I missed something crucial - is, they do auto define flattens on their own. ie, you can't have the land polygons used to replace the old wrong water bounds with land, and make that land use the underlying mesh. Everything inside the polys become flat. If someone has a workaround, please, knowing how to would be very welcome and helpfull.

However, if you need control over the river elevation along its path, yeah, perhaps directly editing the default file(s) is the way to go, but consider some people don't like the concept of touching the default install.. (if you plan to release in the end)
I believe FS9 only supports per point elevation on assembled lines (roads, thin rivers, railroads), but not on poly. Water/Land polys supports on per point elevation requires FSX onwards (if I'm not mistaken).