• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Problem With the New Development of Airport Design Editor v 1.79.7475

I've just installed the latest version of ADE, 1.79.7475. When I try to add an image, it tells me that the file is not an image file. But the file was created in SbuiderX and has always opened in previous versions of ADE. The message reads:

This file C:\SbuilderX315\Tools\Work\18135766X135830Y210222.BMP is not an image file. Please check the file details and try again. How do I check the file details? I'm using that same process as I've always have in previous versions. The file is large and I don't know if that could be the reason for it. I don't recall having this problem in the past and I figured it would tell me that the file is too large if that were the case. Will a large file size cause this?

Ken.

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Ken:

You may wish to try using:

SBuilderX Menu > File > Add Map > From Background

...to create several smaller tile selection composite 1-piece images.

Those images will also always have accompanying *.TXT Geo-referencing files with the same file name prefix) in ex:

C:\SBuilderX315\Tools\Work\ sub-folder

...along with the *.BMP files having the same file name prefix.

If necessary, convert those *.BMPs into *.JPG files to reduce Added 'Image' file size / use less of ADE's Windows Task Session space.

You may use the same Geo-referencing info in the *.TXT files from the *.BMPs to calibrate *.JPG images when Added to ADE's image list, if you are careful to keep all total pixel counts unchanged for the Rows and Columns of each image (do not resize them).

After all images are Added / listed in ADE's Image pick-list, you may have to swap between images. so only (1) is 'active' at a time.

GaryGB

Last edited:
I think a large bitmap would cause that problem.

Hi Dick,

Yes, it looks like you're correct. It was the large file that caused the problem. As a matter of fact, I didn't realize it was so large until I went back and checked its size. It was about 750 megabytes.. I was trying to get the better resolution but forgot about ADEs limit of 7.5 megabytes. I create a new image and this time reduced it to 65 megabytes and it worked fine, although it popped up, this time, and warned me about the 7.5 megabyte limitation. I guess when one goes really extreme on the image size, ADE no longer considers it an image, even though it is an image. But everything seems to be working okay now.

Ken.

Hi Ken:

You may wish to try using:

SBuilderX Menu > File > Add Map > From Background

...to create several smaller tile selection composite 1-piece images.

Hi Gary,

I've heard that one can take several smaller images and composite a single image but I haven't figured out how to do that. I assume I would do that in Gimp, and if I'm correct, this is what I would do if I were creating photo ground scenery. If you know of a good tutorial that explains how to make those smaller images correctly, could you link it here?

But in this case, I wasn't trying to make a photo ground scenery but making some corrections to the navaids in the Birmingham Airport ADE file that the developer did not have correct. The glide slope antenna was way off for runway 24 as well as the localizers. And also needed to set the correct tower view height. So these didn't really require such large images, but I wanted it sharp enough where I can see the exact location of an object.

Ken.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Ken:

The amount of memory address space that the pre-MSFS-2020 version of ADE is (currently) able to make available for use by background images is limited.

BTW: I am not certain to what extent the newer ADE MSFS-2020 version has been tested with lager background image, but I have already tested (1) large background image'.

Although that newer MSFS-2020 version of ADE initially warned about exceeding a 7.5 MB threshold, it did still successfully accept and display the image.

Perhaps the image size warning is from inherited old code, and ADE for 2020 Alpha-19 (now a 64-Bit app) ...can accommodate such larger images.

That option is not available in the pre-MSFS versions of 32-Bit ADE, so one will hit a wall with some image sizes (some say 7.5 MB, others say 100 KB ?)

Perhaps Jon could explain this in greater detail, (if he has not already done so in another document he can link us to) ?

See: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...en-adding-with-coordenates.442208/post-793026

You must plan to limit your added background images (for large airfields like KBHM) ...to (1) at a time for your FSX / P3D project. :pushpin:

SBuilderX' tile down-loader takes your selection of multiple 256x256 pixel imagery 'tiles' in the work-space, and merges them into 1-piece images in:

[SBuilderX install path]\Tools\Work

...during preparations for a BGL compile of imagery.

I recommend composing the size of those smaller imagery tile selections, by drawing smaller-sized selection 'rectangles' over them, in the:

SBuilderX Menu > File > Add Map > From Background ...dialog box.

Then you can add them all as individual 1-piece images to ADE, and swap them in / out as you work over different parts of the KBHM airfield extent.

See: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...en-adding-with-coordenates.442208/post-792943

I will be on the road traveling for most of this weekend, but will try to check back here later. :cool:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Ever since I've upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, I have more issues than I ever had with Windows 7. Every time I turn around or try to do something, the very same things I did in Windows 7, I have a problem, one after the other. Now, I'm not able to compile my airport. When I click on Compile Airport and Compile, I get this long error output report. See the Compile Error Report text below. There is a button the says Fix Errors, but that did not do any good. When I click that Fix Errors button, another window pops up named 'Issue Manager.' In the blue box below the text, it says:

"Your Bgl Compiler will not compile correctly. Update to at least SP1a. Click Fix to open the download page in your browser."

When I click on the Fix button in the Issue Manager, it says that the download is no longer available. Here's a screenshot:

Compile Errors.jpg

I've made these edits many times and was able to compile it. And what are they getting at regarding updating to SP1a? Update SP1a to What? I'm not sure, but it seems that I get messages that have nothing to do with the problem at hand. Is there a SP1a for this version of ADE that I need to download, or are they referring to my FSX sim? My FSX is the Gold Edition and does not need any service pack updates. If this problem is caused by ADE, is there a more stable version of ADE?

Ken.

Attachments

• Compile Error Report.txt
    385.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Ken:

Scruffyduck will be best qualified to reply to the details of your ADE v1.79x error report attached above.

Regarding your current installed ADE version, did you download and install the latest pre-MSFS-2020 version 1.79x from what, AFAIK, is the last build dated July 2020, linked ...from this thread post ? :scratchch:

PS: "SP1a" may be a reference to an interim (and eventually superseded / abandoned) version of the FSX SDK.

Did you install the FSX SDK from the FSX Gold DVDs instead of using the complete and updated auto-installer SDK version from Lockheed-Martion for P3D v1.4x ?

If so, your DVD-sourced FSX SDK installation is in an incomplete state and that thus far incompletely updated SDK version should, IMHO, be uninstalled.

I recommend downloading and installing the FSX / ESP- compatibile P3D v1.4x version of the FSX SDK, and using that ...instead of the DVD version of the FSX SDK.

If necessary, manually update the file / folder paths for ADE that point to the P3D version of the SDK compilers.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi Ken:

Scruffyduck will be best qualified to reply to the details of your ADE v1.79x error report attached above.

Yes, I figured he would be. I just posted the error report so that he would have something to go on and what's occurring.

Regarding your current installed ADE version, did you download and install the latest pre-MSFS-2020 version 1.79x from what, AFAIK, is the last build dated July 2020, linked ...from this thread post ? :scratchch:

Yes, I think that's the one I've downloaded. It's file name is ade_current_dev.zip.

PS: "SP1a" may be a reference to an interim (and eventually superseded / abandoned) version of the FSX SDK.

Now it seems to make since why I got that message regarding the SP1a and I had no idea that a later service pack had been released after the Gold Edition.

Did you install the FSX SDK from the FSX Gold DVDs instead of using the complete and updated auto-installer SDK version from Lockheed-Martion for P3D v1.4x ?

I installed the SDK from the DVD disk 1 Gold Edition. I did not use the one from Lockheed Martin. I didn't think one could use an SDK from a different game, such as installing the SDK from P3D to FSX. This is the first time I've ever hear of doing that.

If so, your DVD-sourced FSX SDK installation is in an incomplete state and that thus far incompletely updated SDK version should, IMHO, be uninstalled.

I recommend downloading and installing the FSX / ESP- compatibile P3D v1.4x version of the FSX SDK, and using that ...instead of the DVD version of the FSX SDK.

If necessariy, manually update the file / folder paths for ADE that point to the P3D version of the SDK compilers.

Okay. Thanks so much for your assistance regarding the SDK. I will uninstall the SDK from the DVD Gold Edition and install the one from LM with the file name Prepar3D_SDK_1.44747.0.

Ken.

Country
us-illinois
When you installed SDK from the Gold Edition, did you remember to also install the SDK updates from DVD3 (the "Acceleration" DVD)?

The process is outlined here: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/in...#FSX_Acceleration_Pack_OR_FSX_Gold_Pack_users

-JP

Hi "-JP":

Indeed, SDK installation of the FSX SDK from DVDs to a SP2-level compatible with that provided by the Acceleration RTM DVD, would need to be a multi-step process ...as explained in the wiki you linked to above.

Although I previously always preferred to use the multi-step FSX SDK install from the DVDs, I have now found it to be quicker and less fraught with risk for problems when using the P3Dv1.4x SDK auto-installer (which is fully compatible with FSX RTM Deluxe / Acceleration and/or Steam Editions of FSX.

For those that still prefer to use their DVDs to install the FSX SDK, the wiki linked above is a very helpful learning and troubleshooting resource, as is this thread also: :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
When you installed SDK from the Gold Edition, did you remember to also install the SDK updates from DVD3 (the "Acceleration" DVD)?

The process is outlined here: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/in...#FSX_Acceleration_Pack_OR_FSX_Gold_Pack_users

-JP

No, I sure didn't. I didn't even know the Acceleration CD had the SDK service pack, and it sure did. It had the SP2. So, I ran the DVDs again and made sure all the service packs were installed. Everything works fine now.

Ken.

Last edited:
Indeed, SDK installation of the FSX SDK from DVDs to a SP2 level compatible with that provided by the Acceleration RTM DVD, would need to be a multi-step process ...as explained in the wiki you linked to above.

That's what I've noticed about using the DVDs. It was a multi-step process. I think I had to run this step 2 times to get it to SP2.

Although I previously always preferred to use the multi-step FSX SDK install from the DVDs, I have now found it to be quicker and less fraught with risk for problems when using the P3Dv1.4x SDK auto-installer (which is fully compatible with FSX RTM Deluxe / Acceleration and/or Steam Editions of FSX.

There's one thing I'm curious about. Am I correct that this version of the SDK is for the earlier version of the P3D? I've notice it's the 1.4x version and there is a much later version of the SDK for the P3Dv 4.5 and I assume I would install that version of the SDK.

For those that still prefer to use their DVDs to install the FSX SDK, the wiki linked above is a very helpful learning and troubleshooting resource, as is this thread also: :)

I've decided to use the DVDs SDK because the SDKs had it's own FSX file name and would not get it confused with the P3D file name. The file name Prepar3D_SDK 1.4x was confusing, giving me the impression that this SDK is for the LM. That may be hard to understand but I know how I am about forgetting things at a later date and forget that this version works for FSX as well, thinking that it's the P3D SDK because of the file name. Will it be okay to change the file name from Prepar3D to FSX and place it in the original location as the DVD FSX? If so, then there won't be no confusion. The thing I was not happy with is that it did not confirm what SP was installed. Is there a text file or some document that confirms my install?

Ken.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

If you get the FSX SDK from the DVDs installed OK, then those are fine to use. The only time you need the P3D 1.4 SDK is when the other route does not work. And the P3D 1.4 SDK was the last P3D SDK to create an FSX compatible model file.

I believe that if you double click the fsxsdk.chm file to open it, it should tell you something like:

Flight Simulator X SDK Overview

New for the Acceleration Expansion Pack SDK​

Which tells you the version of the SDK installed.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Ken:

I am still traveling right now, but will try to reply in more detail later, if necessary.

I would not rename the SDK installer executables, or the names of their default target folders when they are installed.

The installed SDK folder structure is critical for FS utilities to locate and run SDK executables, even after SDK "ConfigSDK.exe" is run, and certain pertinent info is written into the Windows Registry.

I believe you will find that P3D version 1,4x is fully compatible with FSX RTM Deluxe and Acceleration SP2-level content (...and of course with P3D version 1.4x as well).

But, be aware that although in many- but not all- cases, FSX scenery compiled with FSX SDK executables will load and display OK at run time in P3D versions 1.4x through version 5.x, each P3D version has its own freely downloadable SDK version.

Generally speaking, compatibility with FSX scenery becomes less likely beginning with P3D version 5.x.

If you intend to target P3D for alternate output versions of your scenery, I recommend using the SDK version (and any unique XML syntax) which matches each particular P3D numeric version when compiling.

GaryGB

Last edited: