• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Runway Centerline Lights and VASI from XML File

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

I've loaded 4.5.2.13 which appears to be the latest version, and when I load my classic KLAX xml file to create a new project, the runways all have centerline lighting and the VASIs do not appear. I can use the edit popup menu to remove the centerline lights. I can also add the VASI lights to the AFLT display as well so there are workarounds for both.

Here is an image from ADE when the xml file is loaded. Note there are no runway centerline lights and there is a VASI on each runway (difficult to see in ADE, but visible).

aflt45213_ade.jpg

And here is the result when loading the ADE xml file into AFLT - centerline lights and no VASI:

aflt45213_aflt.jpg

I've been away from AFLT for a while so I might be doing something wrong - if so, just let me know. I've attached the xml file in case you need it.

I then removed the centerline lights from and added a VASI to runway 25L. I compiled in FS2004 format using BGL Lights and got this exception message:

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at AFLT4._5.MakeLibrary.MakeXML_Scenery(ModelRef& mr, Boolean bControl, Boolean bLight, Boolean bConsolidate, Int32 fFSVer)
at AFLT4._5.MakeLibrary.SaveLibrary()
at AFLT4._5.MakeLibrary._Lambda$__R19-1(Object a0, EventArgs a1)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Several Compiling Lights progress bar boxes appear, until one appears that causes the exception, apparently. That one is up on the screen, but has not started to move yet.

Thanks,

Attachments

• ADE_KLAX_62.zip
    44.4 KB · Views: 36

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
BTW, I do not need to make any changes to trigger the exception. Load the xml file into AFLT, and compile in FS2004 format using BGL Lights.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Hi Tom. I've recently been working with a manufacturer of ATC tower training systems to integrate AFLT into his system to control individual lights. Along the way I have discovered a few residual issues and maybe I've introduced another. The work has all been for PV5. I'll check tis out and get back to you, probably in a couple days.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
OK, when I load the BGL file instead, everything turns out OK. So I'll load from the BGL file from now on.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
When I tried to place a classic National Standard approach onto runway 25L, I got this exception. It occurred when I clicked Place Lights in the box below.

************** Exception Text **************
System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
at System.Number.ParseDouble(String value, NumberStyles options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt)
at AFLT4._5.PlaceAppLights.btnGo_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

aflt45213_nat_approach.jpg

Thanks,

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I do not get the exception when I place a 0 in the Array Elevation box. This is not required to press the Place Lights button, though.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I cannot place a Funnel approach on runway 25R. When I select Funnel (after going through some quirks of the interface) the screen does not change into the Funnel arrangement.

The quirks are

1. Select runway end
2. Click the Classic Systems box.
3. Choose Funnel.
4. Classic Systems box becomes unchecked and the drop down box is blank.
5. Check Classic Systems box again. Funnel appears in drop down box but the approach below does not change to the Funnel layout.

This is the box's appearance:

aflt45213_fun_approach_bad.jpg

While if I load a previous project with a Funnel approach it appears properly when I Edit it:

aflt45213_fun_approach_good.jpg

Thanks,

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
when I load the BGL file instead, everything turns out OK.
that narrows things down.

I'll add Funnel to the list. Shouldn't be a big issue. (I suspect t you are the first to try it.)

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Glad to help. Note that this is not specific to the Funnel approach type, it's true for all classic approaches that don't use the "standard" dialog box.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
The FS9-compile exception is fixed as are the non-existent centerlines (silly coding error).

I'll get to the Classic system stuff tomorrow. You are probably the only one who has ever exercised that code

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
The attached should fix all the issues you reported. Please give it a whirl.

The underlying issue was that, several months ago, I made a major modification to allow users to work in either ft. or m. without having to account for the minor differences between nominal distances in the two systems. Unfortunately, any data entries peculiar to Classic systems were not addressed. I believe they all are now, but I find it hard to believe you won't find something else. Please let me know.

Don

Attachments

• AFLT45213(a).zip
    326.1 KB · Views: 46

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Now using .13a. When I load KLAX from the xml file I no longer get centerline lights, so that's fixed. But I still get no VASIs displayed. When I load the BGL file the VASIs do appear, so the BGL file was used for the rest of the testing.

I then started changing the approach to runway 25L to a MALSR approach. The data box in Threshold/Extension Each Side does not work properly. When I try to enter 40 into an empty box, I can enter the 4 but the 0 tries to be added to the *left* of the 4, instead of to the right. I have to use the mouse to move the cursor to the right of the 4, and then enter the 0.

I then instead edited the runway 25L approach to a classic National Standard approach. Other than the Threshold/Extension Each Side problem described above (which is in this approach as well), everything went fine. AFLT even remembered all the values I entered yesterday. Going back and editing was fine.

I then edited the approach to runway 25R to a Funnel approach on runway 25R. The Threshold/Extension Each Side problem was here as well, I assume it is present on all approaches that contain that box. Works fine. Going back and editing was fine.

I then edited the approach to runway 24 to a Left Edge approach. Worked fine but above problem present.

I then created a new N and 1 approach to runway 16. This also worked fine but with the above problem. I edited the approach several times (as I did with the other approaches above) and that worked OK until it didn't. I eventually got the original problem I had with the Funnel approach (and then it was permanent for that approach), but I started over with a new project and tried again doing the same things and the error did not repeat. So it's in there somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

OK, so much for approaches. So now I want to edit some taxiway light positions. I find a segment of 3 lights along the north edge of if the south taxiway (Taxiway Link 267 (A)). It is called 57-56 Twy Edge (Left) in the tooltip. I select the line (it turns red) and right click and get "No editing functions available for this element". What, I can't edit taxiway lights? I then try other taxiway segments in the area and get the same thing. I also cannot select individual lights and move them nor add lights to this string. I then click the taxiway line and drag the segment a short distance. I right click and get the "No editing functions available for this element" message again, although the tooltip now reads "Edited Taxiway".

BTW, runway strings have the same behavior, I cannot select single lights and move them.

I then shifted to the Line of Lights around the south apron, right clicked, and chose "Insert Light Into Line". A light was added, and it had a red ring around it. I then clicked on that light to move it, and the red ring disappeared - I cannot select the individual light. I can select the line and move that, but I cannot move any light within the string.

OK, perhaps the lack of editing taxiway and runway segment lines is by design, so I'll add my own lights instead. I right click the screen and choose Add Line of Lights. I choose Edge (Uni), blue, Low, NORMAL, and headings 0 and 83.6. I expect to get a light that I can stretch to a line with the mouse. Instead I get a single light hemisphere and cannot select it to edit it. Selecting Edge in this process instead gives me a blue circle that I cannot select or edit. Using Add Single Light gives me a light on screen with a red ring around it, but when I click it the ring disappears and I cannot select or move it.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I misread your original post re VASIs. It's obviously due to a "hole" in the .xml interpretation. Will be easy to fix. You would appear to be the first person to try the .xml route.

You can edit taxiway segments. But not the way you tried. Select the taxiway segment (not the light segment) and right click. I'll see if I can make the "No functions available" message more informative. (It's a multi-purpose message so adding to it may not be easy.

I cannot select the individual light. I can select the line and move that, but I cannot move any light within the string.
That's why it's called a "line" of lights. You can only move the end-points of the line segments.

I'll review the other issues and fix them as I have the opportunity, Right now I'm otherwise occupied.

Thanks for the report, Tom

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I cannot select the first/last light in the string and move it. I cannot select *any* lights. This is true for runway, taxiway, and Line of Edge lights.

OK, I'll go on to other projects and check back sometime later.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
You cannot move/edit individual runway or taxiway lights or individual lights in a line. I'll check the apron edge lights intersections. If you want to place runways or taxiway lights individually, you'll have to create a suitable "line of lights".

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Don't wander too far away. I didn't mean to be quite so dismissive.

Having taken a quick look at the code, I realize I've basically destroyed the operation of lines of lights somewhere along the way. I'm well on the way to having it working again and hope to have a update available later today or tomorrow.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Fortunately, I destroyed the "Line of Lights" functionality with a single instruction. It all seems to be working now.

VASIs from .xml are back. Don't know what happened to the approach threshold extension text box. For some unknown reason, it was operating as right text alignment even though the specification called for left. A simple replacement was all that was needed.

Attachments

• AFLT45213(b).zip
    326.2 KB · Views: 36

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

Glad I checked back. Everything seems to be working OK now. I remember now I used Copy/Paste Light for most additions I needed.

I had one more recurrence of the Funnel dialog box problem above, but I figured out a workaround - Select MALSR and then close the box. Re-open the box and change to Funnel (etc.).

Compiled the airport and it all looks fine. Nice job on aligning the default VASIs with the ones created by AFLT.

Thanks,

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I thought I would check out your ground illuminating light standards, but I never got that far. I restarted AFLT and it attempted to load my saved klax_62 project. An error box appears:

Unexpected value found in data file ".../Projects/klax_62/Placements.xml" for surface "", type"".

(ExMessage: 'N' is an unexpected token. Expecting white space. Line 1722, position 43.)

I clicked OK and got an airport displaying only taxiway lights - no runway lights, no apron lights, and no approach lights. Placements.xml (etc.) attached.

Attachments

• Placements.zip
    76.5 KB · Views: 32