• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Scenery Library Duplicates_FS9

Messages
287
Country
ireland
I've been using FS9 since it came out, and others before it. I never came across this problem before. I'm running Windows XP Pro.

All of a sudden, it seems, many entries (not all) in the scenery library are duplicated. If I delete the duplicate, reboot, and run the sim again, the duplicate is back! Aargh!

I can't be sure that this is new but I never noticed it before. The folders in the Addon Scenery are not duplicated and there are no 'extra' folders elsewhere containing these sceneries.

In the scenery library if I use edit, each duplicate has the same path as its 'companion'.

Anyone any ideas of the cause of this and a cure?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I just tried to remove an entry from the scenery library in FS9 a couple days ago and had the same problem (not duplicates, but the item I removed didn't actually get removed even though it disappeared initially).

After a couple attempts I used the FSNav database creator to remove it and everything was fine after that. Not sure if this is a Win7 thing or what, I never had any issues with the scenery library on WinXP. If you have FSNav try that, if not I believe there are some free apps in the file libraries that could do it.

Jim
 
Thanks, Jim. It's a bit of a mystery. I've been running FS9 in XP for years and, all of a sudden, these duplicates.

I tried your idea of running the FSNav database loader but it stalled halfway through. This is a bug I've come across before but my usual fix didn't work this time.

I ran ScanAFD and removed duplicate AFCADs, then tried the FSNav DB loader again, but no go.

After a bit more head scratching it dawned on me to check the scenery.cfg file. It was full of duplicate entries. How they got there I have no idea. I deleted them using SceneryConfigEditor and the FSNav database rebuilt without a hitch.

Back to normal now. :)
 
Hi John, I just meant to use the database creator as a scenery.cfg editor, you can shuffle things around, add.remove, etc. and the "Save to FS" will update the scenery.cfg.

I've had problems with the actual database builder crashing myself, in my case it was always because Addon scenery itself was listed as a scenery area which causes the DBC to scan Addon Scenery twice, it goes through the whole folder when it scans Addon Scenery rather than just Addon Scenery/Scenery like you'd expect, then it scans each area individually as well. My solution was always to just not use Addon Scenery/Scenery and not have it active in the .cfg. I can see where a bunch of duplicates might have thrown it for a loop, it seems to be a little quirky that way.

Sounds like you got it sorted though, glad to hear it and have a great day :) .

Jim
 
Back
Top