• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Selfies Meh ..... But this one

Country
canada
Thought this was cool.

Growler Selfie

edit:
too bad as the original photo was much bigger.

Harm-launch-selfie.jpg

Last edited:
Inside info: it is burning up fuel very fast. Too fast!!!
Operational, sure. Combat ready, definitely. But both within a 500 mile radius.
The farmer next to the airport will not hear it anymore deafened as he is by the first time it flew over.
And the farmer further away, he is lucky, because by the time it gets there (if it does?), it will have to turn around at low speed because it is out of fuel.
I guess it needs a P3Dv.4 instead of the v2.5 for the F-35A we have been testing over here.
Maybe I should take a look in the aircraft.cfg and the .air file to see if I can be of some help to Lockheed and the USAF:D.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Operational, sure. Combat ready, definitely. But both within a 500 mile radius.
That makes this statement very suspect:
The fighter probably won’t deploy to the Middle East to fight the Islamic State group any earlier than 2017, he said, but if a combatant commander asked for the capability, “I’d send them down in a heartbeat because they’re very, very good.”
How would they get them there? Ship them via Amazon's new 767-300? :rotfl:

Country
canada
Well ......... F-35A combat ready for the US air force
I guess it needs a P3Dv.4 instead of the v2.5 for the F-35A we have been testing over here.
Maybe I should take a look in the aircraft.cfg and the .air file to see if I can be of some help to Lockheed and the USAF:D.

I agree an update to 64 bits should fix everything .... like you hear on the Flight Sim forums :duck:

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
No selfies like space selfies:

yNnpMw6.jpg

Honorary mention:

1bHIDmT.jpg

Last edited:
Country
us-texas
Theres range and then there's combat range. You can get to altitude and cruise 1000miles+ on an A or C model, a B is slightly less because the lift fan lies where the F2 tank normally is.

Combat radius is low altitude, with the occasional AB run, and external loads. Yes, that one will eat your normal range pretty quickly......but still getting 500 miles is plenty.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
It's a bit further than even 1,000 nm to the Mideast theater of operations. That means a lot of inflight refueling... :eek:

Last edited:

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
One of the Bs flew the Pond to the UK recently, but the number of inflight refuellings on the way wasn't mentioned.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I remember reading about the VTOL Yak-38 Forger and aircrews joked about how it had sufficient reserves to adequately defend the forward mast.
It's a bit further that even 1,000 nm to the Mideast theater of operations. That means a lot of inflight refueling... :eek:
Isn't that what Ali Al Salam and Ahmed Al Jabar airbases are for? Check the drag strip style ready-up area and those concrete fortress/hangars, every one of them pierced by a PGM while Saddam temporarily occupied them.

OKAS-Google.jpg

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Combat radius is low altitude, with the occasional AB run, and external loads. Yes, that one will eat your normal range pretty quickly......but still getting 500 miles is plenty.

I think you can get around 250 to 300 miles out of a F-16 with a combat load (4 x A/A missiles, 2 x Wing Tank, the rest A/G stores), so anything more with a similar load is an improvement.

Country
us-vermont
Since we are talking about useful combat range I'm told by F16 pilots here that afterburner takeoffs almost every mid-morning are a "safety" issue.. are they blowing smoke (at me?).

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Since we are talking about useful combat range I'm told by F16 pilots here that afterburner takeoffs almost every mid-morning are a "safety" issue.. are they blowing smoke (at me?).
I can't say much about F-16s but I've watched enough F-18s take off using after burners from conventional runways, obviously carrier launches would require it and it may be SOP.

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
No weaponry, high altitude, leisure speed: ~465 Gallons/min = ~ 1080 nm.

F-35 doesn't really go beyond "leisure speed" :rotfl: 1200 mp/h (mach 1.61) seems like a rather slow speed for a jetfighter to me anyway, concidering it's supposed to replace F-16s which flies mach 2. Combat range seems slightly improved over the F-16, though competing aircraft, such as the Eurofighter Typhoon and Dassault's Rafale beet it by a long shot. This is rather strange since it is supposed to be a strike fighter (hi-lo-hi missions should belong to it's sweetspot and I'm doubtful it does).
Let it be said btw I'm not a fan of the F-35 anyways, so I might be too negative here, but I think other, more suitable aircraft didn't get a fair chance in the aircrafy selection process of the RNLAF :(

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Better beyond visual range weaponry does not require high dash speeds anymore. High performance and aerodynamics also do not mix well, espeically if you try to keep things as cheap as possible to make the aircraft attractive to allied customers (quite ironic, eh?).

The F-16 was supposed to be a cheap fighter that could hold its own in air combat (post-Vietnam!), yet be a useful bomb truck.

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Better beyond visual range weaponry does not require high dash speeds anymore.

Do you remember the MiG-21 and Phantom II? Thought was no guns would be needed to engage the enemy and what did true combat teach? Guns were once again needed in Vietnam, initially as gun pods and later (atleast on the MiG-21) feautured canons as standard armament again... I doubt this will be any different to be honest, I don't think the F-35 can simply fly like a "flying fortress" using it's non-visual weapons only, it will have to use it's visual weapons, history teaches us!

quite ironic, eh?

Quite so, try to make a "cheap fighter" and make it one of the most expensive ones...
F-16 and F-5 were successful in being "cheap fighters" and this made them successful and well-sold. The F-35 is, shall I say, quite a bit less cost-effective....

The F-16 was supposed to be a cheap fighter that could hold its own in air combat (post-Vietnam!), yet be a useful bomb truck.

And exactly that makes it so usefull, again a point on which I'm skeptical the F-35 will be just as good...

Not convinced about the Lightning II I'm afraid.