• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Sending keyboard input to MSFS

Country
norway
Is it possible to send key inputs from a simconnect client to MSFS?

Example: I want to send "ctrl-shift-l" from my simconnect client. In MSFS I have defined the "ctrl-shift-l" to a specific MSFS Event(FLC in GA airplanes)

Or is it only possible for simconnect APIs to send Events?

Country
us-ohio
You can't send any arbitrary inputs like that, no. You would have to map a client event to a sim event and then map an input event to a client event.

Country
norway
So, you are saying that SImconnect API only supports sending Events.

FSUIPC has a function to bind joystick buttons to keystrokes.

Does anyone know how FSUIPC is able to send keystrokes? As FSUIPC can't send keystrokes via the SImconnect API interface, they must use another way of doing it.

Country
us-ohio
Ok... you can hack in and take over the sim's main window procedure... but, I don't think that's possible inside the sandbox the sim provides. As for FSUIPC, I am unaware of the MSFS version's abilities, installation, etc. It also runs inside the sim's environment and your client does not, different rules right off the bat.

You're talking about wanting to send an "MSFS Event(FLC in GA airplanes)", so I am uncertain why you have issue with SimConnect only sending events. In fact, I'm really confused at this point. If the event is defined in the sim as existing... then simply sending that event's value via SimConnect isn't that difficult and doesn't require sending complex keystrokes.

Country
norway
I probably confused you a bit with "specific MSFS Event(FLC in GA airplanes)".

In the airplanes equipped with the Garmin G1000 system, there is an FLC button. The function behind that button does not have a Simconnect API Event as some other G1000 buttons, i.e. AP_HDG_HOLD_ON.

The only way to access the FLC button on the G1000 is either by keystrokes, i.e. ctrl-shift-l, or a mouse click over the button.

That is why I wanted to know if it was possible to send keystrokes via SImConnect API as there is no Event for some of the G1000 buttons/functions.

In order to connect addon hardware modules to MSFS and have them interacting with the sim is either by SimConnect Events or Keystrokes injection.

Sending Events from a Simconnect client is no problem, but as some functions lack an Event definition in SImConnect, a keystroke solution is the only way I believe it can be managed.

The new FSUIPC v7 is now running outside the MSFS environment as an .exe application.

Hope this clarifies my issue better.

Last edited: