• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS [SOLVED] Black/Dark Grey PBR Textures

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
The images below show an object exported from Blender in GLTF format that, unlike all my other objects, insists on displaying black textures in MCX unless I set isPBR material to false.
The shader nodes in blender and material settings in MCX are identical to all my other materials.

Screenshot 2022-08-25 125246.jpg

This is how it should look in MSFS (i.e when i set isPBR material to false)
Screenshot 2022-08-25 125325.jpg

This is how it appears in MSFS. It does not matter whether PBR is set to true or false:
Screenshot 2022-08-25 131244.jpg

My textures are all 32 bit PNGs.
Any ideas guys? I'm stumped because this worked previously, but I can't figure out what changed.

So I've determined that it cannot be a texture issue, as even without the textures loaded, this grey shading still happens when isPBR = true.
The GLTF is attached.

Attachments

• TDPD_river_wall.zip
    161.5 KB · Views: 66
The glTF rules
There is no evidence there of the _COMP texture related to the river_wall

Most likely you have an issue with shader nodes in Blender

Also, you are using an outdated asobo plugin version with and unsupported Blender version (most likely 3.2? The glTF Kronos exporter matches that)

Use blender 3.1 and Asobo 1.1.6

Appen you work in a new blender file, recreate the materials (or migrate wih the Asobo tool) and most likely you results are gonna be better!

@mamu thanks for replying.

I removed the textures as whether they were there or not, the issue was still present.
I added them back in the zip file below.

For comparison I also added a different GLTF (security booth) built the same way with the same scripts. This one has no issues.

Notes:
*I use scripts to guarantee that all my processes are automated and identical. My shader nodes will therefore be consistent between objects. I have verified this manually as well.
*My other objects (terminal, fence, street lights, etc) all exported fine with Blender 3.2 and Asobo 1.1.5). I will update soon and report back.

Attachments

• TDPD_test.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 75
Hi,

It might also be a bug in how MCX renders the object. I'll have a closer look at your object later to see if I can spot something.

As MAMU writes: Use blender 3.1 and Asobo 1.1.6

That is the most current working combination, and this will avoid some problems in Blender exports. Your problem may not be related to this, but 15 minutes to install the current working builds is good insurance.

To me the fact that MSFS shows it normal and MCX does show it dark seems to indicate it is most likely a MCX issue, not a Blender issue. So not sure if updating Blender would matter that much.

Hi,

The black rendering in MCX is caused by the vertex colors in the object. All the vertices have a black vertex color that is multiplied with the material, that is why it renders so dark. Apparently MSFS does ignore the vertex color, not sure why that is. Does anybody know more about the logic behind that?

Hi @arno . I don't think the problem is limited to MCX as MSFS also displays darkened/grey shaded textures as evident in the 3rd picture.

Interesting discovery on the vertex colors. I'm not even sure when I would have set these in Blender or how to change them.
I had to solve the issue by re-importing the object into Blender and starting over from scratch.
It did happen one more time during re-working the object but I cannot find any pattern as to what I did that caused these vertex colors to be set.

I have downgraded to Blender 3.1 and updated to Asobo 1.1.6. If it happens again I will report back.

Last edited:
Hi,

Now that I look at the MSFS picture again I do see it is darked indeed as well, but not as dark as the MCX picture. So looks like I need to tune the blending of the vertex and material colors a bit more to look more like MSFS.

Hi,

I double checked with a test object how MSFS and MCX render objects with a vertex color. But in that test model an object with black vertex colors is rendered as black by MSFS as well. So I think the preview of MCX is correct. I am not sure why for this model MSFS does render it more as gray than as black.

Hi,

I double checked with a test object how MSFS and MCX render objects with a vertex color. But in that test model an object with black vertex colors is rendered as black by MSFS as well. So I think the preview of MCX is correct. I am not sure why for this model MSFS does render it more as gray than as black.
After 6 hours reading blender documentation and pulling my last hair out I saw this post and the black models in MCX and in MSFS were resolved by unticking vertex color in the export to GLTF in Blender :D :D :D

Back