• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX [Solved] I need to test a simple script on FSX/FSXSE

christopherbritton

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
Hello all,
I'm in need of a few people to test run a batch script snippet for me! I have a script I use in my installers that finish up the installation process by:
  1. Activating the scenery in the scenery.cfg
  2. Moving the SODE config into place
  3. Removing files that are no longer needed (Mostly used when upgrading to a new version, to remove files I have removed from the package or renamed, to avoid conflicts)
  4. Launching the included scenery configurator (if one exists in the package)
Of this, I need to test the scenery activation process. I have gutted the script to only include this part. On my end, the script works, launching the included activator program, however an error is thrown in the console window and the scenery never activates in the scenery.cfg. I need a few different people to test this to verify if it's broke in general or if it's just something on my end.

I have attached below a zip containing the test files. The directory will contain folders test1 and test2.

Please start with test1!

In test1, I'm looking to see if the scenery activator is even working for FSX/FSXSE. If this test does not work, please report the results back to me and ignore test2!

IMPORTANT: If you already have my Bear Island v2 scenery installed into FSX, please deactivate it before trying this script! Nothing bad will happen, but it will invalidate the results. You will also need to remove "empty.bgl" from the scenery folder when you go to remove this test script. Alternativly, rename the original Bear Island folder beforehand and change it back after removing the test stuff.

Instructions:
  1. Copy the contents of the test1 folder into your FSX directory.
  2. Double click to run the ESD_Activator_FSX.bat

This will run the included SceneryActivator.exe, which should add "Bear Island v2" to your scenery.cfg. If the scenery doesn't activate and an error pops up in the activator window, please let me know!

If the process does end up working, let me know, but also give test2 a try and let me know the same.

Test2 uses another method to launch the activator, but requires test1 to be working first. So, if test1 throws an error and doesnt work, ignore test2. If test1 does activate the scenery, you will need to remove it from your scenery.cfg or scenery library before proceeding with test2!

Thanks to anyone willing to spend a few minutes testing this!

Attachments

• activator_test.zip
    71.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Country
austria
Hello, i just downloaded FSX Steam Version to test this, both tests were successful - BUT, only when i ran the ESD_Activator as admin, a normal double click produces an error.
When i ran both tests as admin, the scenery was activated in the scenery library.

Attachments

• Screenshot (382).png
    Screenshot (382).png
    10.8 KB · Views: 7

christopherbritton

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
Hello, i just downloaded FSX Steam Version to test this, both tests were successful - BUT, only when i ran the ESD_Activator as admin, a normal double click produces an error.
When i ran both tests as admin, the scenery was activated in the scenery library.
Thanks for the report! What OS are you running?

I have tried both double click and running as admin. Either way I get "Error reading the Scenery path from Scenery.cfg (Vector)" in the console window..
Which is why I'm thinking it's something on my end. Just need to be sure before I ship it!

Country
austria
Win10 64Bit - the FSX Steam install was a more or less fresh one as i just downloaded it for this test - but there were some files lying around from an old installation that the uninstaller doesn't clean, files under /programData and that kind.
I put the emerald folder and the activator in the main FSX directory, and when i first ran the script i got the error "couldn't write scenery.cfg" - i guess this is because the script can't access the scenery.cgf without admin rights ?

But as i said, running as admin solved that, and in both tests i had the scenery activated on top of my scenery library when launching FSX.

christopherbritton

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
Win10 64Bit - the FSX Steam install was a more or less fresh one as i just downloaded it for this test - but there were some files lying around from an old installation that the uninstaller doesn't clean, files under /programData and that kind.
I put the emerald folder and the activator in the main FSX directory, and when i first ran the script i got the error "couldn't write scenery.cfg" - i guess this is because the script can't access the scenery.cgf without admin rights ?

But as i said, running as admin solved that, and in both tests i had the scenery activated on top of my scenery library when launching FSX.
I got it figured out! Somehow, somewhere down the line, an extra [General] tag was inserted into the scenery.cfg. Removed it and the activator ran great!

What you mentioned above about needing to run it as admin must be a difference in system configuration. The script runs fine for me by both double clicking and running as admin.

Thanks!

christopherbritton

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
Do you have a second [General] section in your scenery.cfg as well? Mine read like:

Code:
[General]
Title=FS9 World Scenery
Description=FS9 Scenery Data
Clean_on_Exit=TRUE

[General]
Clean_on_Exit=TRUE

[Scenery Areas Start Here]

I compared it to the scenery.cfg in the FSX root folder, which was vanilla and didnt have the second "General" section.

Country
austria
No i don't, i was just wondering where that came from in your case ?

Code:
[General]
Title=FS9 World Scenery
Description=FS9 Scenery Data
Clean_on_Exit=TRUE