• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Special Effects omitted from .mdl file when using P3d/FSX tool to export the model from Blender 2.8

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi. Can anyone explain please? I have created Empties for Special Effects attachment in my Blender model. When I export the file using the P3D/FSX tool, the Special Effects are included in the .x file but not the .mdl file. I have then to import the .x file to MCX and then export to a .mdl file which now contains the Special Effects. The .mdl file can then be used by P3D.
Wondering why the Blender export omits the Special Effects.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Which version of the toolset? and is it possible to send the Blender file to verify?

You did say v2.80 of.Blender? and which effect were you trying to attach?

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Doug. I am using Blender 2.83 and exporting to P3D V5.3 HotFix1. Issue occurs with any effect(s) but I have attached the light effect I am using for a model I call Light_Pathway - a simple pedestal light. I also note that when importing the .x file to MCX I get a message "Could not find animation for - name of model parts that have effects". It looks like the P3D/FSX2Blender assumes there is an animation for every effect and MCX issues a warning for each effect (not a big issue).
I have included in the Blender file, Textures used and the Blender Export log.
One further observation, if I hide parts of the model in Blender and then export only the visible parts, the export fails.
I must stress none of the above are big issues and can easily be worked around, so don't spend time on this!
Thanks for your help.
PS: Change the file extensions - all to .dds except for fx_John_Fu;ller_Light_Blue_White to .fx and Light_Pathway to .blend All textures should go into Texture sub-folder and, obviously, the effect into P3D Effects folder.
John

Attachments

• Filament.txt
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • fx_John_Fu;ller_Light_Blue_White.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 22
  • glass_T.txt
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • Light_Pathway.txt
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • LIGHTTOWER.txt
    42.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Light_Pathway-log.txt
    8.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Steel.txt
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Sorry about the long delay....

You might want to update your P3D also... There is a 2nd Hotfix out there that deals with a lot of updates (lighting being one of them).

Updated Edit: The Blender2P3D/FSX Toolset has been updated to v0.98.38! Compatible with Blender LTS v3.3 Only!
Download: Here

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Sorry again... I meant to also mention that with some effects you also need a controller.fx also.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Folks. I have installed the latest Blender2P3DFSX_v0-98-34 with Blender 2.83 and still have the same issues:
1. If I select export "Only selected", the export fails. All model parts have to be exported.
2. When I export a model with any effects, the .mdl file does not contain the effects but the .x file does.
3. When I export a model with animations, the .mdl file contains the animations but the .x file does not.
I was thinking of modelling a revolving light which would contain both effect and animation but I don't see how this can be done with the above limitations.
All suggestions welcome on how to fix.

Country
unitedkingdom
UPDATE - Still the same issues. I have tried:
1) Using P3D V4.5 SDK - same as V5.3HF1
2) Installed Blender on Windows 10 system same as Windows 11.
3) Uninstalled Blender completely - deleted Blender Foundation folder after uninstall
a) Installed 2.79- same issue
b) Installed 2.937 - same issue
4) Workaround - export the animation as one file and the effects as an other, then use MCX to merge the two. This works fine if there is two distinct objects.
But not sure if it will work with animation AND effects on same object (thinking I might be able to separate the "effect object" from its duplicate - ie its copy without the effects - for anyone wondering, an object with an effect will not display in P3D, have to make a copy). Best solution would be to have these issues fixed!
As a start, has anyone got "Export only current selection" to work. Simply try hiding an object and then export "only current selection".
I cannot think of any other combinations to try - Blender V3??? Does it work with Blendert2P3D/FSX toolset??

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

The answer to your last question: "Does Blender v3 work with the Toolset?" No, it does not.

I know that animations and effects function correctly with the toolset... I am not sure what you are trying to do anymore, As I have mentioned before, effects, such as lights, need to have a "control.fx." or controller. They can not just be attached to a model and expect to work correctly.

If you can zip up the file that you are working on and explain what you are trying to do, step by step - might be able to solve this problem for you.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Doug, thanks again for your help. I have uploaded 4 pics of the animation and effect. They are both working fine.
1) The animation is with SODE opening/closing hanger doors.
2) The effect is a light effect on a pedestal lamp. Don't know of any cotrol.x file but have read that a model part with an effect attached (via Empties) will not display in P3D. To display correctly, first create the model part - say lamp_effect and, before attaching effect, make copy of of the model part and call it lamp_model. Next, go back to the lamp_effect and add the Empties. P3D will now display model part with effect correctly. This is verified in the attached 2 night pictures.
So, I can create animations and effects - BUT in separate files! I have 3 issues with Blender2P3D/FSX Tool:
a) Exporting a model with animation: Animation in the .mdl file but not the .x file
b) Exporting a model with an effect: Efffect(s) in the .x file but not in the .mdl file
c) If "Exporting only current selection" is ticked when exporting a model the export fails. See the uploaded Blender Error pic.
Blender_Errorjpg.jpg
Day1.jpg
Day2.jpg
Night1.jpg
Night2.jpg

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

This is not a Toolset error. This is an SDK error, specifically an error with XToMdl.exe. What is the full path where the Blend file is? and the Blend filename?

2022-03-31 08_00_39-Window.png

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Doug. From yor comments re SDK problem, I uninstalled the SDK from a data drive and reinstalled the SDK in C:\Program Files. This made no difference - I thought it might have!.
I have attached .rar file (not password protected) and contains 2 Blender files, a texture folder (for the sub-folder) and an effects file for the Effects folder of P3D.
It would be great, on your system, if you could:
1) Export the LightPathway blender file to see if the .mdl file contains the effects - on my system it does not.
2) Hide the LightPathway model part which has also been appended to New_Doors6 blender file and then export the New_Door6 with the "Exporting only current selection" ticked. On my system the export fails with the above error message.
3) Repeat (2) again but with the "Exporting only current selection" unticked. If its like my system, the .mdl file will only contain the animations, the .x file will be unusable as although the effects are present, only part of the animation is included.
Again, only help if you have the time! I can workaround these issues.
Thanks for your support todate.

Attachments

• Blender_Files.rar
    1.6 MB · Views: 21

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Actually, what I said was that the XToMdl was coming back with an error. I never suggested that it required you to uninstall and reinstall the SDK.

What I asked you was: "What is the full Pathname where the blend file is and what is the filename of the blend file? The reason for asking this is: The XToMdl.exe (part of the SDK) which the toolset calls on doesn't allow special characters within folder names or the filename of the blend file. Next, I was going to ask you: Are you running Blender with admin rights (see image)? One of the errors that is being returned was an OS Error. Could this be caused by trying to save it on a network drive?

2022-03-31 19_38_09-Window.png

Please answer questions. Saying that it "didn't make a difference" doesn't help me or you. Was it the same exact error returned as before?
I will take a look at the rar file tomorrow.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Doug. The error report when "Exporting only current selection" is ticked is exactly the same as the one I have sent you - only the "line 344" is different (because a different model as being exported). Regardless of model being exported the same error report is generated. See attached jpg of latest report.
The full path and name of the Blend file is M:\Johns_Scenery\JFMaster_Models\JF_Object_LIB\New_Door6.blend. The M: is a partition on a 0.5TB Samsung 970 EVO n-vme drive. Blender 2.83, the SDK V5.3HF1 is in the Program Files of the C: drive which is a 1TB Samsung 980 PRO n-vme drive.
Path of Blender 2.83 is C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.83and the SDK is C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 SDK 5.3.17.28160
Finally, Blender 2.83 was not running as an Administrator. This has been changed but errors still as before.
I appreciate your patience in this!
John

Attachments

• Export_Error.jpg
    Export_Error.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 26

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Well...

In exporting the blend files this is what I have found:

First the Light_Pathway.blend file: No errors. Compiled with effects in the x.file.

Second, the New_Door6 with both the "Exporting only current selection" ticked and unticked (and includes the "Light_Pathway" being hidden or not) I'm getting a totally different error than you are. Though the error is the same for all options (ticked, unticked, hidden, and not hidden) (see image).

2022-04-01 09_46_01-Window.png

I have included the x.file, log file, and the mdl file of the Light_Pathway in the zip file here.

Make sure you initialize the SDK within Blender each time you load and save the blend file before exporting. Expecially since you have uninstalled/ re-installed the SDK. There appears to be a problem within your setup but I'm sure what the actual problem is exactly (especially concerning the OS error). Something within the animation is not set correctly.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Doug and thanks for your help again.
1) How did you manage to find my OneDrive? My son is in Australia and this would be useful to exchange files. I assume you have to be on OneDrive too??

2) To my Blender issues, Your Light_Pathway exports are the SAME as mine - effects are in the .x file BUT if you import the .mdl file to MCX you will see the effects are not present! I have to import to MCX the .x file and then export to .mdl file which then has the effects.
Just did a quick test - added an effect to a cube and exported. Same as Light_Pathway - .x file contains the effect, .mdl file does not.

3) Re the New_Door6 Blender file - it contains EFFECTS (Light_Pathway model part) and an ANIMATION (the hanger doors). Like you, I cannot achieve an export with this combination.
However, if you now delete the entire Light_Pathway model part and then export (with the "Exporting only current selection" unticked) the remaining New_Door6 (which now only has an animation) you will get an export of this - BUT - the .x file has an error and incorrect animation AND the .mdl file has a correct animation (again, load them into MCX and you will see the differences.

Happy if you wish to call it a day with this - I do have work arounds for all of this, and Blender is still a great FREE program (much better than some/most paid sofrtware!)

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Sorry for the very long delay,... 1) yes, you do have to be on OneDrive.

2) I didn't have a lot of time before in looking at the model, LIght_Pathway, but it appears that there are a number of faces or normals that aren't facing outward. If you placed an effect on one of those wrong-facing normals or face, the effect will be wrong too. 3) Concerning the New_Door6 Blend file: It may have to do with 2); wrong-facing normals as well.

If you are still getting the OS Error, I would fix that first, if possible. That could become a major problem in the future.