• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Spot light shines through geometry

Country
unitedkingdom
For a lighthouse without a 360 degree sweep, you might need to make a keyframe animation that sweeps only as far as you need and attach a spotlight to it.
Yes I thought of that but couldn't work out how to stop it jumping to the start of the sweep directly after finishing the arc. To be true to life it would need an off portion before starting the sweep again.

Appreciate the suggestion

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Country
germany
Has there been any progress on the topic? Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm currently running into the same problem and maybe in the meanwhile somebody got figured something out.

Country
australia
I could never solve this 'problem'. I encountered the problem when adding 'streetlamps' on a road bridge I created and the water directly under the bridge is illuminated by the streetlamps which never happens of course in real life. I would be great if there was a workaround as my scenery looks a bit unrealistic at night.

Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

I do not yet follow Blender's changes in any consistent way, as it seems to impose breaking changes in a consistent way. :banghead:

I wonder if someone who works with Blender "consistently", can determine if recent Blender builds may have "retained, but re-named" the 'light' features I cited in the thread post linked below, from info on earlier builds of Blender, and can explain how to successfully implement those features for lights ...using recent builds of Blender ? :scratchch

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/spot-light-shines-through-geometry.451430/post-874858

I am curious if mamu or one of the other folks in the outsource team that developed the (first ?) "ASOBO" MSFS exporter may know if there is an "Occluder" for light that can be implemented as a Material Functionality when applied to Faces ? :rolleyes:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
australia
I have 'come in late' with this thread and not sure if anyone has viewed the following video tutorial and if so was there any success. As mentioned above I tried to prevent street lamps shining light through the deck of a road bridge I created a year ago and never completely found a method BUT I cannot remember the following video tutorial and frankly I am at present too ill (lung infection) to try it out.
how to stop light from going through objects in blender eevee blender 2.8

Country
australia
For a lighthouse without a 360 degree sweep, you might need to make a keyframe animation that sweeps only as far as you need and attach a spotlight to it.
That is a great suggestion Dick and one I had also thought of as probably the best solution for a lighthouse. The problem is though that there could be loss of 'smoothness' ie the light stops at the end of say a 300 degree sweep and then instantly restarts 60 degrees further for another (say) 300 degree sweep. Anyway who's watching and will notice that? I hope I am 'on the mark' here.

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
That is a great suggestion Dick and one I had also thought of as probably the best solution for a lighthouse. The problem is though that there could be loss of 'smoothness' ie the light stops at the end of say a 300 degree sweep and then instantly restarts 60 degrees further for another (say) 300 degree sweep. Anyway who's watching and will notice that? I hope I am 'on the mark' here.

I have not found a suitable way to create a convincing lighthouse beam, or strobe and by convincing, I mean that it can be seen in time to be navigated around. The attached light effects have a maximum value, both in brightness and range and the default, rotating lighthouse effect, the "light wash," if you will, is only visible in the immediate vicinity of the boat wreck, or lighthouse.
In fact at my island scenery, I can't even see that ghostly thing from the shore and the attached effects are only bright enough for navigation buoys, if they work right.

As to "sweep," nobody watches that for any reason, except us, because we insist it must be there. Lighthouses are defined by frequency. This is either the number of flashes per minute, or the number of times the beam sweeps past the viewer, per minute. I think you can see that this frequency can be regulated by the speed of rotation. Beam lighthouses that sweep less than 360 degrees don't shut off, they just have a blinder to block the cast light. We do not have that option. If you configured an animation to sweep 300 degrees, back and forth, in a circle, whatever and set it so the frequency corresponded to that of the actual lighthouse you are simulating, you will have fulfilled the requirement for a navigable object.

Country
australia
Lighthouses are defined by frequency. Beam lighthouses that sweep less than 360 degrees don't shut off, they just have a blinder to block the cast light. We do not have that option.
100% correct and a pity that a 'blinder' has no effect in Blender/MSFS. FYI, it seems, the reason for the rotating lamp is to focus in a narrow beam to increase intensity along that beam so it can be seen farther. And it rotates 360 degrees so that it can be from all approaching directions.
Did you know that the part of a lighthouse containing the lens and lamp which revolves 'floats' in a 'bath' of mercury to help reduce friction?:cool:

Still it would be great if there was a method to prevent light passing through a 'solid' object. Hopefully someone who uses Blender to create scenery objects used in MSFS will solve it although no one will ever notice light 'bleeding' through the deck of my road bridge (located many miles from the closest airport - thanks again to rhumbaflappy for his assistace in creating a pseudo airport) onto the water beneath unless they land an amphibian on the water and taxi under my bridge to notice - horses for courses eh? It all probably comes down to the fact that Blender was not created for us MSFS fans.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
The problem isn't in Blender. The problem is the display engine of MSFS. I don't think Asobo will ever address it as it would slow MSFS to a crawl keeping track of the light effects on all the sim's objects.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Its been a problem almost from the very beginning which has been discussed here and a 'work-around' has not been found yet too.

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Thanks for the information. Can I assume (without testing) that this problem also occurs when using MSFS lighting effects (within MSFS) ie NOT using the Blender spot and point light?
Yes, it has been tried, I believe, a number of ways

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Its been a problem almost from the very beginning which has been discussed here and a 'work-around' has not been found yet too.
An "open source" work around. Take a look at Aerosoft's CRJ, they definitely solved it, plus the visibility distance issue, you can see that thing to the horizon.

Country
us-illinois
One might also check out the outside rear utility panels on the (A.I. Traffic ?) Security truck patrolling KFHR after dark. :idea:

These outside panels do not illuminate from the rotating security light up on the cab (but the top edges of tires do). :scratchch

kfhr_security_truck_light_occlusion_by_rear_sisde_panels-jpg.84943

GaryGB

Attachments

• KFHR_Security_Truck_Light_Occlusion_By_Rear_Sisde_Panels.jpg
    KFHR_Security_Truck_Light_Occlusion_By_Rear_Sisde_Panels.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Country
australia
I just noticed something interesting but it may not resolve this question originally posed ie. Spot light shines through geometry.

I remembered that I created a water airport scenery using Blender for a building and Airport Design Editor to put everything 'together'. I added a 'light' (but not a spot light) in ADE to light up one side of the building.
When I am in MSFS and move the 'camera' to the other side of the building (from where the light is) there is NO light 'leaking' through the building.
Refer to the screen image taken behind the building (foreground on right of image) where you can see the light lighting up the ground in front of the building but there is NO light at the back of the building.

000_light.jpg

Another screen shot from the side showing the light at the front of the building and nothing bleeding through the building.

000_light_1.jpg

Could it be that lights added in ADE (or SDK) don't show through whereas lights added to the model (in Blender) do shine through? The light I used (added) in ADE is (library object) LIGHT WARM MEDIUM which is a 'flood light' (not spot light).

Country
italy
I have encountered the same problem.
This is my hangar, as you can see the lights (point) pass through the roof
:confused:

So I searched the forum and found this topic...
I will try with SDK lights then!

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    683.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    681.7 KB · Views: 93
Country
norway
Try using spotlights or plane lights instead. Make sure symmetry is unchecked

Sent fra min SM-G996B via Tapatalk

Country
italy
Try using spotlights or plane lights instead. Make sure symmetry is unchecked

Sent fra min SM-G996B via Tapatalk

Thanks, I will try! I will add perhaps a light to illuminate the roof on the inside and look more realistic

Country
us-nevada
ingamecolor20.PNG
I used a 12W 'spot' light and a 1.5W 'point' light per lamp in the hangar for this exact problem. Very low power point lights do not seem to have nearly as much of the light leak issue so I use them to provide ambient illumination and to give emissives a colored light cast.