• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Start Flight Freeze with ADE Modified Airport

I have been modifying an airport with ADE alpha 19 (no two-way editing) for a few weeks. Yesterday, I started MSFS to view some recent changes and was presented with update 1.16.2.0 after which MSFS started as if I never used it before asking for acknowledgement of controllers connected and ease of use settings. When I finally got to loading a flight from the world map, the loading screen never went away and the flight didn't start. If I let it go long enough, the attached error message was displayed. I assumed that the update messed things up until I found that flights from other airports, including those modified by ADE, loaded fine. After restarting the computer and making a project backup, I started deleting things added to the airport (can't restore those deleted) since last successfully viewing it in MSFS. None of this was successful except building from a backup made shortly after starting the project. Any idea on what went wrong?

Attachments

• error_msfs.JPG
    error_msfs.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Florida-KBKV_Backup.zip
    572.7 KB · Views: 19
Also corrupts flying from other airports in the vicinity when this generated file is in the community folder. CTD

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I wish I could help. That error is coming from MSFS obviously. Breakpoints are things that are generally used to trap errors. I will try and replicate your issue

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
The problem resides in the ApronEdgeLights. Delete them and the project is fine. I don't know if it is one or more of the light designations, but it causes the memory crash of the sim. I do see you have the spacing of the lights at "0", and that may be the problem. In fact, I changed them to "4" and the package is fine.

The problem resides in the ApronEdgeLights. Delete them and the project is fine. I don't know if it is one or more of the light designations, but it causes the memory crash of the sim. I do see you have the spacing of the lights at "0", and that may be the problem. In fact, I changed them to "4" and the package is fine.
Thank you. The apron lights was the first thing I suspected, but deleting them didn't work for me. Perhaps I failed to delete one although I was very careful to try and get them all. How did you delete all of them? I couldn't find any listing in ADE to allow me to easily do it.

It appears that ADE alpha 19 added spacing to the xml for apron lights of which I was not aware. Unfortunately, it defaults to 0 and has to be set for each string. I thought I had tried building the package with alpha 18 when troubleshooting and it didn't work, but it certainly does now.

EDIT: Okay, found them in the project tree. Still can't change them globally.

Last edited:
Once I noticed that the light spacing was in meters rather than feet, the spacing works great. It might be wise to have a default of 30 or something besides 0 in order to avoid what happened to me.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Once I noticed that the light spacing was in meters rather than feet, the spacing works great. It might be wise to have a default of 30 or something besides 0 in order to avoid what happened to me.

I will add that to my list. There are several other cases where the default goes to zero - programmer error :(

I learned my lesson that apron lights with zero spacing will result in a program crash when flying in the general area of an airport with that feature. Now I find that two overlapping scenery polygons can get an unwanted result. I placed polygon to flatten a small area which was within an area with a building exclude polygon. While the flatten worked fine, it also resulted in all photogrammetry being eliminated in a wide area. Whenever you fly near enough (within say 60 miles?) for the scenery to be loaded into memory, it affects photogrammetry everywhere. So, I eliminated the building exclude polygon and added the building exclude to the flatten polygon and it worked fine without the loss of photogrammetry.

My bad. The loss of photogrammetry was not due to overlapping scenery polygons but rather setting a positive distance in meters for falloff in attributes for the flattening polygon. Instead, using -1 for the falloff resulted in no problems and made the flattening undetectable.