• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Starting Out, Curious About Working in Python or With a Light Game Engine

Country
unitedstates
Hi, everyone - I’m new to this and am hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I’m interested in making a narrative companion app for MSFS, something that would tell a story and utilize Simconnect to read data from MSFS and possibly trigger things in-game like audio events based on proximity to a location. I have some experience with front-end web development (HTML, CSS and a little TypeScript), but am lacking any back-end or C/C++ experience.

I would love to create the game in something like Ren’py, since the narrative part of the game doesn’t need to be complicated. I even came across this GitHub repo which is a python interface for Simconnect, but I’m at a loss as to how to implement it (or if it’s even possible to). Does this strike anyone as a feasible path forward or have any experience with it? If so, I would love some guidance. If not, are there any other lightweight game engines that would play nicely with Simconnect, or is necessary to build from the ground up in C/C++?

Sorry if this sounds like me looking for an easy way out. If there is none feel free to tell me so. I’d be willing to start down the C/C++ road if that’s the best way. Thanks!

Country
unitedstates
Thanks for the reply! I was leaning towards Python because of Ren'Py, but the more I looked into it, the more I thought it would become restrictive eventually (and I don't know Python). Since I posed the above I've been learning C# and thinking about trying to work within Unity. Seems like the biggest hurdle is still the SDK and getting comfortable with the .NET framework. Lots to learn...

I'll look through the examples - good to see what other people have been able to build.