• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Stops immediately with message

Country
netherlands
Hello,
I just installed version 3.2.09 for P3D V4.
After opening the program the choice-button is active for FSX. As soon as I check Prepar3D V4 I get an Exception-message, as in the uploaded screenshot.
Clicking it away, the program does not work properly,
What can be wrong?
Piet de Geus
Netherlands

Attachments

• Prepar3D 0333.jpg
    Prepar3D 0333.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 335
  • Prepar3D 0333.jpg
    Prepar3D 0333.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 244
  • Prepar3D 0333.jpg
    Prepar3D 0333.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 295
  • Prepar3D 0333.jpg
    Prepar3D 0333.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 314

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Piet, the four screenshots appear to show the same thing. Perhaps you could translate to English for me. (I suspect t is concerning a Windows deficiency but need an English translation to know for sure.

Dom

Country
netherlands
Hello Dom, Sorry for the multiple upload, at first after clicking on attachment, I thought nothing happened, then I tried agsain and again until a saw another function that might do the job, and it did.
Here is the translation:
A non-executed exception occurred in the application. If you click on "Go on" this error will be ignored and the application continues. If you click on "Close" then the application will be closed immediately.
..hexadecimal value 0x0 is an invalid sign, line 2, position 1.

Indeed, when I click on "go-on" the AIPF continues but as soon as I click on P3Dv4 the same message appears. When I click on FSX then I can load an existing plan, but all aircraft are marked red as not existent.
I hope thisd helps.
reg.,
Piet

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Piet, that message appears to relate to WIndows, not AIFP. Lots of people are using AIFP with P3Dv4 without such difficulty. SO, it would seem the cause lies within your system. Do you have Net/Framework 4.5? Are you running AIFP "as administrator" (Being the administrator is not sufficient.) Does AIF have the necessary permissions?

It's not surprising that you can't continue after the error. That message is issued by Windows, not AIFP, and continue seldom works.

That AIFP can open a FP with FSX as the Target version also suggests it might be P3Dv4 related, such as an unusual condition with the storage of Pv4 aircraft. I'm away from my development system at the moment so can't offer much in the way of detailed support. But, I will be home early next week if you haven't discovered the cause.

BTW, I trust you are using the latest release. In fact please install the latest development release from http://stuff4fs.com.

Don

Country
netherlands
Hello Don,
Running as administrator makes no difference, I also specified in Properties that it always shoud be run as administrator, also no difference. My AIFP version is 3.2.09.
I have W10 and Net/framework 4.7
Maybe, as you make a remark in this direction: I have my AI aircraft in a separate folder on another disk, P3D is on SSD C:\Prepar3D V3 and my AI's are somewhere else on HDD, but properly defined in the simobjects.cfg. Existing flightplans execute well.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I need to think about this with the source code in front of me. I'll be home tomorrow and will get to it ASAP.

Don

Country
us-newyork
Here's my version in English with a clean install of AIFP developmental release 3.2.09 (i) in Win 10. It occurs when parsing the components installed via the add-on.xml method. It's not even necessary to open a flight plan. Open AIFP in P3d V3 mode then switch to V4 mode.
Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Xml.XmlException: '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 2, position 1.
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowInvalidChar(Char[] data, Int32 length, Int32 invCharPos)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseRootLevelWhitespace()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename)
   at AIFP_3.FSVersion.GetAddonSimobjectFolder(String sPath_AddonXML, List`1& listAddTo)
   at AIFP_3.FSVersion.GetAircraftTopFolders(Int32 fFSVer, List`1& listACTopFolders)
   at AIFP_3.AircraftCfg.GetAllAircraftFolders(List`1& listFolders, Boolean bAllFolders, Boolean bFolderName, Int32 fFSVer)
   at AIFP_3.listAC.FindPathsToACs(List`1 listAC, Int32 fFSVer, List`1& listReport)
   at AIFP_3.MainPanel.chkFS_CheckedChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.RadioButton.OnCheckedChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.RadioButton.set_Checked(Boolean value)
   at System.Windows.Forms.RadioButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.RadioButton.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.7.2102.0 built by: NET47REL1LAST
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
AIFP3
    Assembly Version: 3.2.0.6
    Win32 Version: 3.2.0.6
    CodeBase: file:///E:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AI%20Flight%20Planner/AIFP3.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 14.7.2046.0 built by: NET47REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.7.2103.2 built by: NET47REL1LAST
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.7.2104.0 built by: NET47REL1LAST
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.7.2046.0 built by: NET47REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Jay, the only thing in an add-on.xml file of interest to AIFP are the simobjects. Please send me the simobjects component so I can duplicate the issue.

Don

Country
us-newyork
Don,

Somehow, my simobjects.cfg is using UTF-16LE as the character set. That has to be what's causing the problem, since UTF-16LE packs each character with an additional hex 00 byte. Changing the simobjects.cfg encoding back to ANSI gets rid of the error in AFP. I don't have any SimObjects components added with the add-on.xml method. In any case, the add-on.xml files are supposed to be in UTF-16LE

Jay

Attachments

• simobjects.zip
    736 bytes · Views: 150

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Glad you've sorted it out.

Not sure about the implications of what you are saying about encoding of add-on .xml files. Frankly, I've never worried about the encoding of text files. I let Windows look after any conversions when I read text files - on the assumption that Windows will do whatever conversion is necessary.

I've just (quickly) reviewed the SDK but didn't find any such requirement.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Jay, please download Development Release 3.2.09(j) and report back. It appears that my method of loading .xml files in other than ASCII format "hicupped".

Don

Country
us-newyork
Thanks. Will do. I'm baffled how my SimObjects.cfg ended up as UTF-16LE or maybe it is that way by default.. I know that the add-on.xml and prepar3d.cfg files both have to have a BOM , but I didn't realize that all cfg files need to be in UTF. Here's a thread on the LM forum about it:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6314&t=124997&p=159401&hilit=utf+16#p159401

In this thread, LM staff says the add-on.xml files should be in UTF-8.

EDIT: The latest DR on your website is still 3.2.09(i).

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Jay, I don't know how I've gotten away with it for almost 10 years, but AIFP has never "been concerned" with file encoding on read - until now. I think I've sorted out file encoding for XML processing, but now I have to work back through all my text file read routines to assess and correct the impact there.

Don

Country
us-newyork
Up until P3d V4 this was never an issue. LM decided that Prepar3d.cfg needed to be in Unicode to accommodate multiple languages in its cfg files. I thought that was the extent of the changes.

Country
netherlands
I still see no solution for my problem in the above replies.. I installed 3.2.09 in the traditional way (in its own folder) and it starts via the Menu Start Icon.
All of my aircraft are in "traditional" folders, correctly defined in the simobjects.cfg. In Version 3 I used the same method and that worked perfectly. I have no aircraft defined in add-on.xml's or so.
Why can AIFP not find my sim in the openingswindow?
Hoping for a solution,
Piet

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Piet, have you tried 3.2.09(k) or (l)?

If you've been following the forum, you know by now that your issue has nothing to do with aircraft folders or specification, but is almost certainly due to the encoding of certain Pv4 files, namely Prepar3d.cfg and add-on.xml files. Indeed, in your screenshots above, it would seem that AIFP has indeed found Pv4 on your system and has "stumbled" over some subsequent task.

Don

Country
netherlands
Hello Ron,
Yes, I have 3.2.09 installed, but what do you mean by (k) or (l)?
Indeed, I saw that discussion on ANSI etc, but could not make any conclusion for me. I have no aircraft in add-ons.xml’s, only scenery.
Please indicate what coding the Prepar3D.cfg should have.
Thanks in advance.
reg.,
Piet

Country
netherlands
Don,
I now discovered the folowing:
I saved the P3D.cfg in different ways, a.o. Ansi and Unicode, but that made no difference.

As FSX was always in the selection-fields of the start-menu and it always was ticked automatically, I renamed the FSX-folder to make it unretrievable. Then only P3D v3 and P3D v4 both appeared. Then I clicked on V4 and that was accepted. However, when trying to open a trafficfile (bgl) that had been working well in v3, that same message appeared.
Then I ticked V3 as active sim, that was accepted as well and I could open a file and there was no message, so that selection was working.
Then I also renamed my P3D v3 folder and only V4 was visible and automatically ticked. Again, the moment I selected a bgl-file to open, the well known message appeared again. No luck or succes though.
So it seems that when working in V3-mode things go well.
Does this help?
reg.,
Piet