• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Substance Painter help...

Country
unitedstates
Maybe what I am trying to do is not possible....but.... I have my building here with a corrugated metal material applied. I added a fill layer to adjust the color of the material. Now I have some details that I want to paint. I need to paint brown metal vertical edges on the corners of the building and also a thin brown strip around the door frame. When I have tried to do this the brown paints on top of my corrugated metal surface but what I want is a painted edge or line that covers the metal giving the appearance of a frame overlaid on the metal. I have not done it yet but I know people paint windows and doors on these materials in Substance Painter correct? So I would assume this would be similar to what I am trying to do? I've been searching for the answer to this for days. I have attached photos below. I am trying to add the brown edge on the building corner and the brown frame around the doorway. I didn't want to have to adjust my mesh to extrude additional faces to paint on. I was trying to keep this a simple mesh.

Substance Painter - License_ 23 days remaining - kpso_ramp_t1_hgr1_substance 10_2_2020 2_47_20...png

kpso-pagosasprings.pur - PureRef 10_2_2020 2_53_55 PM.png

Country
southafrica
Simplest way of doing this is to paint your frames.
Right click on the frame layer mask, select copy mask.
Copy the mask into your corigated metal layer. Then swith the mask to subtract.

This works under normal circumstances, but your layer stack is set up is a little strange.

Country
unitedstates
Simplest way of doing this is to paint your frames.
Right click on the frame layer mask, select copy mask.
Copy the mask into your corigated metal layer. Then swith the mask to subtract.

This works under normal circumstances, but your layer stack is set up is a little strange.

My layer stack is likely set up strange because I don't know what I'm doing yet. My brain is currently full... :confused:

Country
unitedstates
I have a layer with the corrugated metal material applied. I added a fill layer set to "color" to correct the color of the corrugated metal material. I don't have a mask and didn't think I needed one because I want to paint over the metal so that the seams in the metal don't show. I'm just painting that door frame so it's basically going to be thin straight lines of paint that would cover up the metal. I don't understand how to make this work. When I add another fill layer or a paint layer the only effect I ever see is painting the underlying metal but it does not cover the seams. It just paints the metal brown.

Country
unitedstates
I think I figured it out. I adjusted the blending modes on my layers and found that both the height and normal channels needed to be set differently. Once I set them to Normal my material was able to be painted over the corrugated metal. That got me the effect I was looking for.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Actually, if you are using the corrugated metal that I use... it has a color option within it (right-click I believe).

Country
unitedstates
Actually, if you are using the corrugated metal that I use... it has a color option within it (right-click I believe).

I downloaded this material from a website online. I don't see a color option. Are you using a default substance painter corrugated metal? If so I couldn't find that one before I found this one online...

Brandon

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
I downloaded this material from a website online. I don't see a color option. Are you using a default substance painter corrugated metal? If so I couldn't find that one before I found this one online...

Brandon
What color does it start as? Was this material a smart material?

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Here is a photo showing the original color. It is not a smart material. Just a material. I found a corrugated metal smart material in the default Substance Painter Smart Materials however it does not have the vertical lines and height built into the material like this one did.

Brandon

Substance Painter - License_ 22 days remaining - kpso_ramp_t1_hgr1_substance 10_3_2020 3_15_24...png

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
That material doesn't look like the one that I have. The one I have starts out as a blueish color... it even has rust options also... let me see if I can find the .zip file containing the material that I have and I can send it to you, if you like me to?

Country
unitedstates
Sure that would be great. The project I’m working on has several different buildings with that material so the more variety the better!

Country
unitedstates
Ok, here is a new problem. I noticed what appeared to be Z-fighting on my model in Substance Painter and it appears there is something going on with my Color ID Map. The map looks fine however in Blender and the only place it looks weird is in Substance Painter. Any idea what's going on here and how to fix it? The problem I am seeing is on those 3 doors where there is blue bleeding into my red on the color map. I did notice in blender that if I have no materials assigned at all that as soon as I click one of the hangar doors and assign a color it colors the entire model in that color. I don't know why. It is a single face and I can't figure out how it would make the entire model turn that color. If I select the small doors for example and assign the only color to them it does not select the whole model and color it in that color. Any ideas?

Blender_ [G__MSFS Projects_kpso_airport_Custom Models_KPSO Main Ramp_kpso_ramp_hangars.blend] ...png
Substance Painter - License_ 20 days remaining - kpso_ramp_t1_hgr1_substance 10_5_2020 3_49_58...png
Substance Painter - License_ 20 days remaining - kpso_ramp_t1_hgr1_substance 10_5_2020 3_50_14...png

Country
austria
Your mesh has not enough geometry. Make additional loop cuts. Substancepainter may insert some triangles, and that cause shading errors.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Looks like you have 2 faces or polygons there. Only way to comfirm this is to see the blend file or click within Blender on the face and press the 'H' key. This will hide the selected face(s).

To unhide Alt-h.

Also, make sure you only have 1 vertex at the corners of. Hiding the face or vertices can help if you have more than one also.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Here is my UV map for this model... I had previously checked for duplicate faces. I will try the loop cuts and see if that fixes the issue. However that seems strange since the other doors are the same size and are fine.

KPSO_Ramp_T1_UV.png

Country
unitedstates
Here is the blend file also. I don't see any duplicate faces and I still click on what is to be my hangar doors and when I assign a color it assigns it to the entire model. Clicking on the other faces on the model (small doors, roof edges, sides, etc.) does not do that. It's like my hangar door faces are connected as one giant face over the entire model but obviously that is not the case or I am doing something wrong.

Attachments

• kpso_ramp_hangars.zip
    159.1 KB · Views: 235

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Did you happen to get any warning from SP about polygons? The notication will appear at the bottom

Country
unitedstates
I loaded just the mesh into substance painter and I do see this warning that I don't remember seeing before:

Substance Painter - License_ 20 days remaining - PBR - Metallic Roughness (Read only) 10_5_202...png

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Located seams that were doubled and also vertices. See image. There is also a polygon missing where a seam is. Yes, that warning basically means the polygons are not in tris but ngons.

Double_up.png