• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Texture problem what's wrong help

My hometown terminal has a long 300 meters wavy roof bent 30 deg. I made a flat box with right dimensions and used nurbs path to shape and bent it. I used albedo color to texture the object. The problem the object doesn't show up smooth in the simulator. If I use an image texture with same result. Before shaping I subdivided in 100 loop cuts (I try 200 with same result)
Any clue what is going wrong with this Thanks for your attention

ScreenShot229.jpg

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Is this done in Blender or 3DSMax? In either case, is the auto smooth clicked on and the faces and or edge lines been made smooth?

As Doug says, if this is in Blender then it looks like you will need to smooth the roof otherwise it will appear as a faceted object unless you do thousands of subdivisions. In Object mode select Object - Shade Smooth. This will make everything smooth (including the edges) so the next thing you do is go to Modifier Properties and Add the Edge Split modifier. Adjust the Split Angle until it looks right and then Apply to make it permanent. Alternatively you can select the edges that need a sharp edge in edit mode and select Mesh - Split - Faces by Edges.

After smoothing the mesh in Blender and re-exporting here is the result

Attachments

• ScreenShot207.jpg
    ScreenShot207.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
As Doug says, if this is in Blender then it looks like you will need to smooth the roof otherwise it will appear as a faceted object unless you do thousands of subdivisions. In Object mode select Object - Shade Smooth. This will make everything smooth (including the edges) so the next thing you do is go to Modifier Properties and Add the Edge Split modifier. Adjust the Split Angle until it looks right and then Apply to make it permanent. Alternatively you can select the edges that need a sharp edge in edit mode and select Mesh - Split - Faces by Edges.
I will try and come back

after playing with the split angle and applying the modifier it doesn't produce a good result

Attachments

• ScreenShot209.jpg
    ScreenShot209.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
I will try to increase the loop cut or build the roof in several section I attached the blender file to my post if someone want to look at it

Attachments

• roof.zip
    409.7 KB · Views: 10
roof.jpg

Looks OK after a few edits. I reset the scale so it's 1,1,1 and not 320 by whatever. Selected all vertices then merged by distance to weld any loose vertices together. Smoothed the part. Then the split edges. I also REMAPPED the UVs for the texture. Ensure when you export make sure that you have set the exporter to Include only the selected objects, Custom Properties is ticked and Geometry - apply modifiers is ticked. Attached is the file with the edits.

Attachments

• roof2.zip
    422 KB · Views: 12
I can't thank you enough Anthony31 I have been searching for so long. Before your post I did another test by increasing the amplitude of the shape also the subdivision to 500 same result the shading change abruptly at the point where the curve change direction.
You got it right and I appreciate your contribution I can now proceed to finish my project while I keep learning

I can't thank you enough Anthony31 I have been searching for so long. Before your post I did another test by increasing the amplitude of the shape also the subdivision to 500 same result the shading change abruptly at the point where the curve change direction.
You got it right and I appreciate your contribution I can now proceed to finish my project while I keep learning
I think there were a couple of problems with your model. Firstly, it wasn't completely joined, about where it curves there were some loose edges. Secondly, it may have been the UV mapping causing your graphics issues. When you start editing a part you can get the UV mapping to do some weird things such as having a very narrow or zero width UV map on some parts. Depending on the sim this can cause issues. I don't know exactly which issue was the cause as I did all the edits together before loading it into MSFS only once.