• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Texture templates...

Messages
361
Country
us-indiana
Ok, so I'm getting somewhere with the textures, now I have this question. Here is my template for the fuselage:

MS-Template-optimized.jpg


Now, I have the extra space in the corner of this that is going to go totally unused. If I put another part's paint job here (say, the wheel nacelle) and use the same template when texturing that part, will that work? If it does, is that going to save me a texture or cost me because I am only using a small portion of such a large texture?

For instance, here I have the nacelles, prop, and elevator textures added.

MS-Template-optimized-2.jpg


Or is that how it's supposed to be done in the first place?

I hope this makes sense, it's 2:30 am and I'm a little fuzzy...

Kevin
 
Use every stinking pixel you can on that one texture, Ryan... :D
 
Ryan/KEVIN,

This is why your wings arent high resolution in pixels.. Same with your fusealge.

Make the wings a seperate texture, expand them to full width. Same with the fuselage.

If you really want better quality mapping, you need to increase the pixel area of each part.

Another point. You have your panel on one little postage stamp of wood. I put my panels on one full sheet so I can see hair like scratches, scuffs, etc. Extreme realism and high detail can then be achieved with no fuzziness. That would only increase your textures from 1 to 3; panel, fuselage, wings.


Also, you might learn to incorporate shading on your parts, such as your panel. Learn to see how things (in real world) handle light and shade. For instance, on the panel, you will have a shadow zone along the top curved edge where it meets the inner fuselage surface. That surface also on the cockpit area will have a shade zone where the panel is against it. Do that to all parts in the VC and you will recreate texture baking and shadow high realism without having to use 3DS Max.


Bill
 
Here is an example of my own mapping on the Kodiak, WIP.

RH Wing texture, and LH panel side. (Panel is split into two sections, mainly because I wanted the small font on the panels to be readable clearly as possible).

Also, I make my textures at 2048 size, then burn a BMP off of the PSD stack files, take the BMP and compress to 1024, and compile to FS format.


Bill
 
Last edited:
Here is an example of my own mapping on the Kodiak, WIP.

RH Wing texture, and LH panel side. (Panel is split into two sections, mainly because I wanted the small font on the panels to be readable clearly as possible).

Also, I make my textures at 2048 size, then burn a BMP off of the PSD stack files, take the BMP and compress to 1024, and compile to FS format.


Bill


Thanks, I did increase my size to 2048, and that helped quite a bit. The panel is not on here. The wood you see is for the prop, but has been replaced by a metal texture. I was hoping to keep the exterior on one bmp, and the interior on another. I'll get to the bumpmapping as soon as I figure out my current exporting problems and I can see the thing in FS. Here's the final map. I had to reduce it in size and compression killed the quality...
 

Attachments

  • Test-2a.jpg
    Test-2a.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 624
Back
Top