• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Traffic BGL file Help

Messages
25
Country
belgium
Hello All,

I would like to learn how to read the Traffic.BGL file structure with VB2008, has somebody already done this? I needs this for my program that is actually is reading the traffic files and recreates them in a datagridview.

Hope somebody will be able to send of the info.

kind regards,
jcop
 
Hi,

I have never seen data on the structure of that BGL file type. So it might be hard.

Are you interested in all traffic data? Using SimConnect you can get the traffic around you when FSX is running.
 
Hello Arno,

No I'm thinking of just getting the data from each traffic BGL file, something like the tool that ACA2005 can do, just doubleclick on a BGL file wich is loaded in a datagridview, this would then need to open a new datagridview showing AC and LEGS that are flown. Since it's a VB2008 written tool, also FS2004 (for the moment) I'm curious how to actual read the binary data. Since tomas molitor could do this with his flightplanner util and also ACA1.2 can do this not mentioning the payware programs I assume that there must be a way. Opening the BGL in HEX only show the airport identifiers, but hence there must be a solution.

regards,
jcop
 
There may well be but, as Arno says, it seems that no one has published the file format for the community as a whole.
 
The FS8 traffic file formats are explained very well by Lee Swordy in the TTools source code he released several years ago and presumably still available on Avsim. The format for FS9 was identical save for the addition of the TNG flag, I think. For FSX, the storage format of the DOW/time parameter was expanded to 24 bits and a flag to indicate this was added.

What is it you plan to do with the data once it's displayed. Have you checked out the capabilities of the existing traffic file decompilers, in particular, AI Flight Planner with its numerous display options.

Don
 
Hello Don,

I will definitly lookup this source code for ttools, I just want to create a tool like there once was (creator vanderlei martinelli and combine this with the tool created by garfield (Pvande veen, I tried to contact them but for Vanderlei mails didn't went very well, also Pvandeveen seems to be gone from the FS scene, my latest mail to him bounced back)

thanks for the support.

PS in the mean time I'm able to read the AC info from the BGL but still getting exceptions on the flightplan part.
 
Back
Top