• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Trying to understand a scenery issue

Country
us-arizona
Hi All,

I seem to have an issue where a 3rd party scenery has an exclude bgl file in the /scenery folder and when it is active FS9 crashes at 31-33% during startup. When I disable just that bgl the sim starts normally (albeit with extra houses/trees). This happens with two sceneries LFRD2004v1a by Vauchez and the LFRN by Pascal Dumont. They are close to each other geographically so I tried to disable each of them individually to no avail. Since it is happening to them both I assume I have an issue farther down the chain but I'm not sure I know how to troubleshoot it.

Any guidance would be helpful.

Sean

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I would try to create a separate exclude file using a tool like ExcBuilder 2, and see if that doesn't crash it.

Country
jersey
The problem could actually lie in a third scenery which may be adjacent to the two where you're experiencing issues. If you totally disable LFRN does LFRD still cause issues (or vice versa)?
I'm not sure I've used that version of LFRN but I have had that LFRD installed in the past and experienced no issues … edit … just re-installed that LFRD and it's landclass, still no issues, looks very nice!
Even more edit … found that LFRN in my archives and installed it as well, still no problems :)
Looks like you've got "something else" in that area interfering with those two airfields!
Further thoughts … just remembered, I've got a similar scenario in the north of England that is ai traffic related. Turn traffic off and the sceneries works perfectly. Still haven't got around to isolating the problem though ;)
One more detail … the FPLoire\Scenery folder from that LFRD installation does include some traffic files, so disabling those might be a good starting point.

Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
I would try to create a separate exclude file using a tool like ExcBuilder 2, and see if that doesn't crash it.
I tried building a new exclude and I still got the same problem (crash to desktop at 31-33%). its really frustrating sometimes.

Thanks,
Sean

Country
madagascar
It is unclear if FS9 crashes upon starting (from desktop shortcut or programs), or upon loading the scene (scenery + aircraft, after selecting the flight settings)
If you say CTD at 31-33%, that would likely mean the later (upon loading the scene) as this is the starting part where you usually have the percentage telling you the CTD occurs a about 31-33%. Though, when you make change on BGL files outside FS9, there are also one or three percentage-like dialogs right when you start FS (some faster than others, updating the scenery library and Scenery.dat files).

Why it matters ? If the CTD occurs after the flight dialog upon loading the scene, FS9 tells you what part of the scene it is loading along with the percentage (objects, terrain, traffic, aircraft, modules, etc.) That would give you a clue about what probably caused the CTD.
If it's terrain, it's usually a corrupted mesh data.
If it's objects, it may be a corrupted BGL, a bad texture format (corrupted or not supported), corrupted models in libraries, what else ?
If it's aircraft, model ? texture ? gauge ?
If it's traffic, probably an incompatible model (ex: FSX model used in FS9) or a bad texture format (corrupted or not supported)
etc., you get the picture.

Try to pinpoint the kind of scene that causes the CTD.

If the CTD occurs upon updating the scenery library, there is nothing wrong with sceneries, rather something wrong with the simulator components, like user interface (bad bitmap format), modules (corrupted or bugged dlls), missing files, empty scenery directory maybe (causes a CTD ? I don't think so)....

The point is, use logic to identify first what would likely cause the CTD rather than focusing on one possible culprit. Causes may be plural or not where you think it is.

The way to identify the cause is by disabling part of the simulator, like some sceneries (or aircraft or traffic BGLs, etc.), then partially reactivating them until the CTD occurs again. The cause is among the last set of things you activated. Repeat the process until you identify what the actual file, or fileS causing the error. It may be BGL-related, but it may also be texture-related, or time of day or coordinates related.

Last, if you are pretty sure it's a BGL, identify what the BGL actually contains. A name "exclude.bgl" is just a name, it does not tell you what kind of data the BGL actually contains. You have several tools to identify the content of a BGL like BglAnalyze (or the old venerable ScDis), or Bgl2Xml, or TMFViewer, or SBuilder, perhaps MdlConverter, and a few more I don't remember the name. You can also use hex viewers/editors to analyze the BGL if it is small enough (like a simple exclude) and learn about BGL structure to see if there is corrupted data inside the BGL (that's what I did, but since it's copyrighted sceneries, helping you on that particular BGL is a copyright violation).
I'm just saying, there are ways and the tools I mentionned are usually enough, something anyone can do.
Yes, it's very annoying and frustrating, but, be pragmatic : you have to do it if you really want to enjoy the addons. :)