• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS tutorial for pbr texture in fs2020

Maybe a misunderstanding, I did not question the necessity of the _COMP, but would like to know, what the greyscale and the silhouette like rims do; do they influence shadows for example, or the amount of reflection at such gray or light or dark texture areas ...No
Now what is this greyscale your talking about? Usually it controls the transparency, but im not sure what it is doing in your COMP. Do you always get them? (the grayscale i mean)

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
The term "greyscale" is technically incorrect. Each channel of a "_Comp" file consist of 3 individual maps. Each of the 3 maps are black and white or have gray shading.(greyscale). This doesn't mean that any of the 3 should or are in greyscale color mode. They should be in RGB color mode, but only contain black, white and or gray.

As mentioned before the 3 individual maps are AO (ambient occlusion), Roughness, and Metallic. The AO goes into the Red channel. The Roughness goes into the Green channel and last, the metallic goes into the Blue channel.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
As to further explain...

As to a simple tutorial to process non-PBR textures (such as the diffuse, specular, normal/ bump maps) into PBRs, that can be difficult. The reasons are this: It would depend on how the diffuse and specular textures were created, such as were layers used, can light information be removed from the diffuse texture, and or are the specular maps correct for the given material of the object, can the specular be broken down easily to create the metallic and roughness?

The difference between diffuse and albedo maps/ textures is the directional light information. An albedo map doesn't have or shouldn't have any light information. So, if the light information from the diffuse can be removed or placed into its own file. You would have an ambient occlusion (AO) map. The specular map could be broken down into the different forms necessary to make up the roughness and metallic maps, but again, that can be difficult. I can suggest a few reading materials that can help with this.

Basic Theory of Physically-Based Rendering (PBR): https://marmoset.co/posts/basic-theory-of-physically-based-rendering/
Physically-Based-Rendering (PBR), And You Can Too!: https://marmoset.co/posts/physically-based-rendering-and-you-can-too/

The last one goes into more detail on what needs to be done. But I caution, if you don't know the basics and the many names of the different maps or textures, this can be over-whelming at first.

PBR Texture Conversion: https://marmoset.co/posts/pbr-texture-conversion/#changes

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
I get the 3 grey scale channels concept (to a point). But, I have yet to figure out how to successfully export a _comp dds file from Gimp. Is it possible. What format should I choose? (there are lots of DDS formats).

I tried 8bit alpha, but, it's looking like the Occlussion (red) channel isn't working properly because the surfaces look black when the plane is in shadow. But looks fine when the sun is shining on it.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
You need to save them in png format and let the SDK Package tool do the rest.

Country
unitedstates
So, I'm just repainting liveries. So I haven't been using the SDK for this at all. But I found my answer.

First, I had to follow this tutorial for painting the three RGB layers separately

Then I exported from GIMP using the DDS RGB10A2 format.

That was my main question, what format to save DDS in from GIMP. I don't know if that's correct, but, it worked.

I needed to lose the burnt metal look from the exhaust covers so I could paint them white. People keep thinking they are exhaust pipes, but their ejector ports, the exhaust pipes are inside the ports. I'm actually contemplating purchasing this plane if nobody beats me to it... (edit: somebody beat me to it, well, the engine needed a $70K overhaul, and, being the plane was in Cali and I'm not, I let it go :'( )

And because I keep forgetting which is which, I got this map from v_legion's tutorial (and for some reason people keep saying blue layer should be black for chrome??)
ORM (RGB) = Occlusion (Red) Roughness (Green) Metallic (Blue)
BLUE layer : no reflection (black) - full reclection (white)
GREEN layer : mirror (dark color) - no mirror (light color)

Attachments

• ScreenShot-210214-132126001.jpg
    ScreenShot-210214-132126001.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Country
angola
Greetings to you all.
I am painting the ASOBO ATR 42 (My company's paint scheme has a very similar base to the JetsGo's metallic grey), editing the COMP file, making the blue channel all white (expecting a metallic look) and the green channel 70% white. (as I saw it done in a tutorial).
However, although I can see that the brightness and reflection levels change, the truth is that it doesn't get the metallic look: Either it's a dull gray or default glow (which takes away the metallic look).
And this occurs even when changing channels, to full white, full black or midtones.
Also I thought that, by making the blue channel completely white, I would have a raw metal look, and it never happens.

If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated
A good day everyone

Country
unitedkingdom
Roughness is ROUGHNESS, as opposed to smoothness, where WHITE is rough and Black is smooth right?
Edit I just read:
GREEN layer : mirror (dark color) - no mirror (light color)

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Just remember "ARM" anisotropic, roughness and metallic. In all cases white is maximum. If you are using numerical values, any two decimal place number between zero and one works. For a mirror, you want white metal (1.0 numerical value) and black roughness (0.0 numerical value).

Country
unitedstates
I have been working on an airport modification for MSFS and have created several hangars in Blender. In trying to streamline my texturing workflow I have been experimenting with Materialize for creating the Normal, Roughness and Metallic maps. I bake the AO in Blender and make the Comp in Gimp. Materialize creates a Smoothness map so I figured it would be great if Materialize had a way to invert the Smoothness map and make it a Roughness map. Well guess what. finepointcgi had already thought of it and made it. He also modified it to use the native Windows file management windows. I have tested it and it works well.
The build is here:
Materialize with Invert Smoothness Button
2023-10-05.png

Screenshot 2023-10-05 092814.png