• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v5 Using ADE to Fix Runway Marking Flickering?

Hello, everyone.

I'm a super novice with ADE, occasionally using it to update some taxiways on default or freeware airports, but I'm trying to solve an (annoying) issue with a few default airports and hoping ADE could help. In P3Dv5, at PHJR and KMIC for instance, I get flickering runway marking textures (the material itself, taxiways, and buildings are still visible - and only at a few default airports) when I pan the camera around. I've tried to make a flatten but have run out of ideas otherwise. Is there a chance any experts may have some other suggestions to fix this? I don't have any meshes, scenery, or otherwise in the area; essentially as default as it gets that I know of.

Thank you!

E575l0K.png

Fe62lWC.png

gadgets

Resource contributor
Have you checked that you don't have a second copy if the base airport (runways,taxiways, aprons) on your system, either in Scenery/World/scenery or as add-on scenery (but using a different ICAO code). Perhaps an old AFCAD file?

Have you checked that you don't have a second copy if the base airport (runways,taxiways, aprons) on your system, either in Scenery/World/scenery or as add-on scenery (but using a different ICAO code). Perhaps an old AFCAD file?
Correct, verified no duplicate AFCADs in my scans - both at KMIC and PHJR, occasionally KCOS it appears too I’ve now seen.

gadgets

Resource contributor
(but using a different ICAO code).
If it's there, it won't appear as a duplicate. If there were a duplicate, the P3D would have eliminated (and perhaps told you about) it.

Flickering is the result of Fs/P3D attempting to display two images in the same 3D position.

If it's there, it won't appear as a duplicate. If there were a duplicate, the P3D would have eliminated (and perhaps told you about) it.

Flickering is the result of Fs/P3D attempting to display two images in the same 3D position.
OK; I still can’t find any AFCAD files that overlap these random airports in question.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Can't think of what else might cause "flickering" (which is the term you used). But if it were "flickering" in the way the term is most often used, you would have had trouble taking the screenshots you posted.

I don't know how P3D draws the markings on runways, but if we use a descriptor like "on and off" (or just "on then off") rather than "flickering", custom GPs act similarly where terrain elevation is slightly below ARP elevation. This is usually fixed with flatten at ARP elevation. You've said you've "tried to make a flatten", but you didn't give any details. So, if your attempt at a flatten was not flattening the entire airport to ARP elevation, you might give that a try.

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

Can't think of what else might cause "flickering" (which is the term you used). But if it were "flickering" in the way the term is most often used, you would have had trouble taking the screenshots you posted
Correct, it was difficult to get an angle and timing down when I took the screenshots; needed multiple attempts. Panning the camera around, or simply waiting a second or two, the markings would come back momentarily then disappear again.

Should I change the airport elevation itself, or use a flatten polygon(or some combination of flatten options)?

gadgets

Resource contributor
Either way would work though, unless you have reason to change the ARP elevation, I'd suggest creating a flatten at ARP elevation.

gadgets

Resource contributor
It's time to eliminate something on your system as the cause. If you post your AD4 file, I (and perhaps others) will test it.

I think your right Don, he needs to check and let us know if there are any other addons running like Orbx,
or any other scenery mesh or landclass running for those areas, anything that is an addon

I use Orbx Global and OpenLC NA, disabling those doesn't really result in any difference - same with FSDT PHNL. Airports so far with this:

KMIC
KCOS
PHJR
KOFK
Just discovered HI01 does this as well

AD4 file attached I've tried at PHJR. Not seeing any other files conflicting in the File Priority Analyzer. Thanks.

Attachments

• PHJR_ADEP5_KW.ad4
    47.4 KB · Views: 4

gadgets

Resource contributor
The runway markings at PHJR are rock-solid on my system under PV5 - which suggests the underlying problem is in your system. This is not surprising since multiple airports (but not all or, I gather, even a majority) exhibit these symptoms.

However, I have no other ideas what the cause might be. (However, I remain convinced your system is trying to execute two different copies of the problem airports at slightly-different elevations.)

Be aware that simply disabling those two add-ons does not totally remove their effects. For example, ORBX Global makes major changes to (mostly by way of supplementing) stock data. Disabling it will stop the app from processing, but does not undo the changes to stock data. I'm not familiar with Open LC NA. The only way to fully eliminate their effects is to uninstall them. I doubt File Priority Analyse will be useful in analysing this issue. You're going to have to get "down in the weeds". One thing you might try is finding the ORBX files related to PHJR (the names of the files of interest will include "PHJR") and disable them individually. Also, if you have ORBX at the highest priority - which is how the installer will leave it unless you explicitly direct otherwise - move it well down, even to the lowest priority of your add-ons.

The runway markings at PHJR are rock-solid on my system under PV5 - which suggests the underlying problem is in your system. This is not surprising since multiple airports (but not all or, I gather, even a majority) exhibit these symptoms.

However, I have no other ideas what the cause might be. (However, I remain convinced your system is trying to execute two different copies of the problem airports at slightly-different elevations.)

Be aware that simply disabling those two add-ons does not totally remove their effects. For example, ORBX Global makes major changes to (mostly by way of supplementing) stock data. Disabling it will stop the app from processing, but does not undo the changes to stock data. I'm not familiar with Open LC NA. The only way to fully eliminate their effects is to uninstall them. I doubt File Priority Analyse will be useful in analysing this issue. You're going to have to get "down in the weeds". One thing you might try is finding the ORBX files related to PHJR (the names of the files of interest will include "PHJR") and disable them individually. Also, if you have ORBX at the highest priority - which is how the installer will leave it unless you explicitly direct otherwise - move it well down, even to the lowest priority of your add-ons.

Poor choice of words....yes Orbx Global and OpenLC NA were disabled for this previous test and deleted remaining folders. I had previously uninstalled them during my earlier testing.