• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Validating Traffic Files

Don,

I was messing around with AIFP a few moments ago when I decided to validate my traffic files (don't ask me why) Anyway after the validation was finished I noticed, with alarm, that several of my traffic files had been removed from the appropriate scenery folder.
Having now read the instructions I see that a warning should be given before these files are removed, I don't remember seeing the warning. Can you please check, at your leisure, that such a warning is programmed into AIFP and is given.

Dave Butler

PS I have restored the removed files from my recycle bin.

gadgets

Resource contributor
David, I see no opportunity in the Validate Traffic Files logic for files to be deleted. If you have checked Eliminate unused airports and aircraft, then the file may be recompiled and replaced - and I suppose it's possible something is going wrong there.

Its not clear to which "instructions" you are referring. Section 8.2 of the user manual "Validating Traffic Files", makes no reference to files being deleted.

Would you please try to validate one of the files that disappeared (and you have restored). If the same think happens again, please send the file to me.

Don

Don

I do not know what I was reading about the deletion of files - must have had a senior moment. However I have tested the attached file and when using validate files AIFP does move the file to my recycle bin. I am using the latest version of AIFP in Win 10. BGL file resides in my FSX/Scenery/World/Scenery folder
Action I took was as follows:
Start AIFP
Select Bulk Traffic
Select Validate Traffic Files
Drill down the file (attached)
Press OK (or something similar)
bgl moved from my scenery folder to recycle folder after completion of validation(which took about 2 seconds)

Dave

Attachments

• Traffic_MAIW_randolph_T-38_FSX.bgl
    120.9 KB · Views: 242

gadgets

Resource contributor
Don't know why (yet), but it gets deleted on my system as wel.. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Thanks for reporting
Don

Don

I've done a little further investigation and found that three files are transferred to the recycle bin the bgl file, a copy of AIFP.ini file and a copy of Airport_Temp.dat. I notice that my AIFP.ini file contains 2 references to the Recycle bin

File Backup -1/0/1 = Recycle Bin/No Backup/Folder=-1
and
All Deletions to Recycle Bin=False

Dave

gadgets

Resource contributor
Thanks, Dave. I've found and fixed the problem. However, I've found another slightly troubling issue along the way. I want to address that before re-releasing - later tooday.

Don

Don

The validation now seems to be working ok. However AIFP still produces a copy of Airport_Temp.dat, in the recycle bin, for each traffic bgl it looks at.

Dave

gadgets

Resource contributor
Did you check "Eliminate unused ai4ports and aircraft"? If so, the file is recompiled and backed up whether or not there are any changes.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
David, I can validate that file with no problem (except for a lot of validation issues reported). If Eliminate unused aircraft and airports is not checked, nothing gets added to my Recycle Bin. If that box is checked, then I get one entry in my Recycle Bin as expected.

Are you sure 3.1.21(d) got installed? If so, please send me your aifp.ini file so I can see if there are any options selected that are creating difficulty.

Don

Don

I am not checking anything when I run the validation.
I emailed a file to you yesterday titled Traffic_AK_Water_FSX.bgl at Don@stuff4FS.com - did you receive this file. Whilst I am aware that there are many issues with this file I get 200 airport_temp.dat in my recycle box when I try to validate. I cannot send you my AIFP.ini file via this forum. Can you confirm your email address please so that I can send you the necessary file.

Dave

gadgets

Resource contributor
I received the file you sent yesterday and tested it with results as noted in the earlier post. As fare aas I can see, airport_temp_dat is not even accessed during the validation process. Please note my other questions in the post above.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Mystery solved. The traffic file of concern contains a large number of airports (probably about 200) not previously known to AIFP, So, AIFP saves them to airport_temp.dat - one at a time as they are encountered. Since you have directed backups to your Recycle Bin, each time airport_list.dat is updated (~200 times in your case), it is re-saved and a backup made. So, in that respect, all is normal.

BUT, the reason I had difficulty in nailing this down is because, if airport_temp.dat doesn't exist when the validation is started, no updates are made. I didn't have a file named airport_temp.dat until I manually created one this morning. Then, presto, I was able to duplicate the issue.

In my case, airport_temp.dat should have been created automatically. But it wasn't. SO now, I've got to figure out why before releasing a couple critical update generally. (Those critical updates are included in the current development release.). Also, I'll take a look at consolidating the updates and make them all at once. If it's not a "big deal", Ill fix that as well.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Please install Development Release 3.1.21(e), now available from http://stuff4fs.com. It now updates airport_temp.dat only once, no matter how many airports are added. As well, the file will be created if it did not previously exist.

Have a great weekend.

Don