• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Vertex Painting and data export

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I have the modification of the OBJ reader and writer implemented now. The reader will read the vertex colors and the old writer will now also save them. These changes will be part of the next development release.

1678995496715.png

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
The new build is online now.

Country
germany
Hi Arno
I checked the new release, but had no success to import the obj with coloured vertecis. But I think the problem is not your App, but mine. Please let me do some further investigations and I´ll come back to you. Thank you very much for your efforts!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Do you have a sample of a OBJ file that you can import correctly and that shows the colors? Maybe if I compare it with my output I can spot a difference.

Country
germany
HI. I will provide as soon as I´m back. Thank you for your effort.
Just another question. Does the installation of the new build influence the setting of the old installation? I got a strange effect lately, that the exported objects are transparent!? Strange to me, but did not jet do enough research on that item. I only know that I did´nt do anything different as before and the exported objects are transparent. I also reused old objects and they are transparent. I just wanted to point this fact out, in case you have any immediate idea. Do not invest any time on this, because I only did some exports up to now.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
No, new builds do not change your settings. These are kept from your previous Installation.

Country
germany
I just rechecked my problem and sorry the problem was on my side. Very sorry for bothering you.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
No problem, glad to hear you figured it out.

Country
germany
Hi Arno
Thank you for waiting.
Here is an object in obj format, specially for my application with coloured vertices.
Maybe you have a time for a look at any time and maybe you find a way for MCX to export corresponding.
Thank you very much.

Attachments

• YyyyVCol.zip
    1 KB · Views: 75

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

That OBJ file from your tool is not a Wavefront OBJ format, it seems to be some other binary format. Probably it is specific to your application.

Country
germany
Hi
So there is no chance to implement the exporter to MCX :-((
But anyway thank you very much for your effort and the time you spent on this subject.
Is there a way to make a little donation to the developers?

Country
germany
Hi Arno
Just a question. Does the .x format have the possibility to have coloured vertices? If so, can you implement this to MCX?
Thank you for your support.

Country
us-illinois
Hi again:

...According to this info:

http://www.inivis.com/custspot5.html

...EEP ("Eisenbahn.exe Professional") train simulation software may be able to import 1 of the 3D file types output by the "AC3D" 3D modeling application:

http://www.inivis.com/features.html

http://www.inivis.com/resources.html

https://sites.google.com/view/ac3dfileformat/home

http://www.inivis.com/supercoldmilk/ac3dplug/index.html

BTW: The above author's linked video page in English:

https://trendverlag-com.translate.g...tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

Overview of the files belonging to an EEP system​

https://hilfe-eepshopping-de.transl...tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

"My EEP Forum"​

https://www-eepforum-de.translate.goog/?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

PS: Based on what I see, EEP is like "Second Life for Train Simulation", and is a proprietary platform geared aggressively to retail of add-on content.

Considering how few 3rd party developers there are, and how stringent the EEP forums are about copyright on posted forum images, it is likely that "someone" is going to object to conversion of their 3D content after de-compiled / derived from within the original EEP proprietary format.

I recommend the OP study how to use main-stream 3D modeling applications (including AC3D, Blender, Sketchup etc.) for creation of 'original' MSFS scenery content. :alert:

God help the MSFS Store if flightsim.to starts selling / licensing scenery 'components' to build "original" scenery that is then sold as packages. :stirthepo

GaryGB

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Just a question. Does the .x format have the possibility to have coloured vertices? If so, can you implement this to MCX?
I had a quick look and i think the X format does support this. I'll see if this can be implemented.

Country
germany
Hi GaryGB
I`m a creator for EEP models and nobody is thinking to break the law by decompiling any proprietary format.
I´m only looking for a tool that can handle coloured vertices to use it for my EEP models. EEP in general is working with standard textured models.
So please don´t try to imply that I try to do some illegal stuff.

Country
us-illinois
Considering how few 3rd party developers there are, and how stringent the EEP forums are about copyright on posted forum images, it is likely that "someone" is going to object to conversion of their 3D content after de-compiled / derived from within the original EEP proprietary format.

I recommend the OP study how to use main-stream 3D modeling applications (including AC3D, Blender, Sketchup etc.) for creation of 'original' MSFS scenery content. :alert:

Hi GaryGB
I`m a creator for EEP models and nobody is thinking to break the law by decompiling any proprietary format.
I´m only looking for a tool that can handle coloured vertices to use it for my EEP models. EEP in general is working with standard textured models.
So please don´t try to imply that I try to do some illegal stuff.

OK, I agree not to try to imply (in the future) that you "try to do some illegal stuff".

I shall also point out that I have (in the past) not tried- nor implied- that you "try to do some illegal stuff".

Please read and interpret precisely what I actually said, and don't imply that I accused you of trying "to do some illegal stuff".

Oh, and as a creator for EEP models, be prepared for the possibility that, if MCX adds the ability to process EEP 3D output, "someone" is going to object to conversion of their 3D content after de-compiled / derived from within the original EEP proprietary format ...for use in MSFS, or any one of a number of other sims and venues where 3D models are used.

GaryGB

Country
germany
Ok GaryGB
thank you for your additional explanation. Maybe it was my lack of understanding the English language, that lead to the missunderstanding.
Best regards
Stefka

Country
germany
I had a quick look and i think the X format does support this. I'll see if this can be implemented.
Hi Arno
Thank you for your effort. But it was my mistake. .x format can´t be used by my software to import the painted vertices. This can only be imported by the proprietary obj format.
Best regards
Stefka

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thank you for your effort. But it was my mistake. .x format can´t be used by my software to import the painted vertices. This can only be imported by the proprietary obj format.
OK. Guess you are out of luck then, unless the proprietary OBJ format that EEP uses is documented somewhere.