• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Vgds .mdl How Do I Convert It?!

Country
us-alaska
OK i downloaded the VGDS tweeker tool.

and it thus creates a >MDL file.
other that useing it for aircraft directly, i have never touched such a file.

WHAT... do i use to convert the >MDL file into .xml file so i can place the location data into the xml file?

sorry for the "noob" question.:confused:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

You can use this MDL file like any other that GMax (Fs2004 gamepack) creates for you. Just write the XML code to place it at the location you want and then compile the XML with BGLComp to a BGL file.

Another option would be to use a tool for the placement. You could for example try my ObPlacer XML tool for that. You can load your MDL objects in there.

Country
us-alaska
ok again im terribly sorry im a totally daft on this writing my own xml file.
all i know is editing the lat/lon/alt/heading/scale.
were do i come up with the quirky GUID number for it when it ask for an xml in the first place that is not even made yet?

would you be willing to create a generic xml for me of the VGDS?
then i could alway reuse that and jst edit the location.
OR what does make the xml like gmax from the model file?:confused:

Hi,

You can use this MDL file like any other that GMax (Fs2004 gamepack) creates for you. Just write the XML code to place it at the location you want and then compile the XML with BGLComp to a BGL file.

Another option would be to use a tool for the placement. You could for example try my ObPlacer XML tool for that. You can load your MDL objects in there.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

You can use a template like this:

Code:
<FSData version="9.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

<SceneryObject lat="40" lon="-40" alt="0M" pitch="0.0" bank="0.0" heading="0" altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" imageComplexity="NORMAL">
		<LibraryObject name="6C436E5AF63F49C48D46B8C99449B2F7" scale="1.0"/>
	</SceneryObject>

<ModelData name="6C436E5AF63F49C48D46B8C99449B2F7" sourceFile="C:\Documents and Settings\arno\Desktop\poplar.mdl"/>
</FSData>

Of course you need to enter your own MDL file. And most important the GUID needs to be unique. You you can best create a new one (GUIDGen is a tool that can be used for this). But you could also use a tool like ObPlacer XML, as it does all that for your automatically.

Country
us-alaska
your object placer program ALSO ASKS for an >> .xml file that is not included.

from all the program i have worked with, they always started with an .xml file.

could you PLEASE just make the standard xml file to be included with your

VGDS tweeker tool.

Edit: after turning my brain inside out and into a few knots on how to process an XML out of thinair i managed to get one to show up,
based on your requirements to produce one.

but i still strongly believe that the process should be made more simple. trying to use too many tools for just one item can easily discourage the basic scenery artist.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

The ObPlacer XML does not require any XML file to start. If you use the File -> New XML menu option it will create a new XML file for you completely from scratch. There is no need to have one already.