• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v5 Weird normal map issue from substance painter to P3D V5

Md Alavi

Resource contributor
Hi guys anyone knows why the normal map is blurry in between?

2020-11-3_13-4-54-792.png

Pyscen

Resource contributor
That normal map doesn't look right to begin with. Could you go through the steps on how it was created, please? You should be able to have mipmaps without problems.

Md Alavi

Resource contributor
That normal map doesn't look right to begin with. Could you go through the steps on how it was created, please? You should be able to have mipmaps without problems.
1604421677515.png

I exported the texture as TARGA from substance painter using above setup
Then I converted the normal using nvidia dds plugin using DXT 5 interpolated format and mip map as following

Pyscen

Resource contributor
The material used might have the option to adjust the sharpness or anti aliasing use, etc. Also, you might change the bit value to 16 when in SP then when you convert using the Nvidia Tool, you can drop it to 8-bit.

According to the screenshot, you have it exported as png.

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Out of curiosity, what does look like if you have SP export the normal map without the moving of Red Channel to the Alpha Channel? You can do that after exporting.

Md Alavi

Resource contributor
Out of curiosity, what does look like if you have SP export the normal map without the moving of Red Channel to the Alpha Channel? You can do that after exporting.
1604502239226.png

Just like how DX normal map look like
Doing it separately shows the same result

Pyscen

Resource contributor
The only other thing I can think that would cause it to be blurry is the material used within SP. Have you tried a different material for this area, another corrugated material perhaps? If you have, are the same areas being affected by it? If so, could it be the polygons or faces, causing it to distort some?

What options do you have within SP concerning this material?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
I have used this material a lot myself. I have found if you are going to have a lot of raised areas on this material, it's best to use the "Waves" option instead of the "Scale" function (the "Scale" function is at the top, appears just above the Material section). At least, don't rely on the "Scale" so much as the number of Waves. Also, in conjunction with the number of waves (being so many), you might want to turn "Off" the "Screws" option. They will be hard to see anyways with this many raised areas.

I've noticed also that you adjusted the "Normal Intensity" pretty high (you might have raised that after having these problems). It would probably be best to leave that at default, which is 3. One other thing, the "Warping Scale" could help in the distortion too, dropping it to 5 or 4 might help.

Last edited:

Md Alavi

Resource contributor
I have used this material a lot myself. I have found if you are going to have a lot of raised areas on this material, it's best to use the "Waves" option instead of the "Scale" function (the "Scale" function is at the top, appears just above the Material section). At least, don't rely on the "Scale" so much as the number of Waves. Also, in conjunction with the number of waves (being so many), you might want to turn "Off" the "Screws" option. They will be hard to see anyways with this many raised areas.

I've noticed also that you adjusted the "Normal Intensity" pretty high (you might have raised that after having these problems). It would probably be best to leave that at default, which is 3. One other thing, the "Warping Scale" could help in the distortion too, dropping it to 5 or 4 might help.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will try this out today :)

Md Alavi

Resource contributor

Btw what do you mean by "Raised areas" ?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
As in the corrugated pattern, the up and down. The "up" or raised areas compared to the "down" or lower areas.