• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

What does it take to get some AA in Gmax?

On my old XP machine with a GEForce 7800 I had the most beautiful display in Gmax you've ever seen (well, for Gmax anyway), now I've got the fire breathing i7 monster here with the $500 graphics card and I can't get rid of these horrendous jaggies no matter what I do. It looks so awful I can hardly force myself to model anything. I turn on edged faces and instantly I'm overcome with nausea. I also have issues with trying to use a 24 bit .bmp as a texture, it works fine but the colors look like they're inverted, or at least no where near what they're supposed to be. If I use a .psd the colors are OK, but the jaggies perservere. This is cruel and unusual punishment when the whole idea is to make things that look nice :) .

I've tried the HEIDI drivers, tried OpenGL, and am using Direct 3D but nothing changes anything or else it goes from bad to worse. I fired up the old machine and duplicated all known settings that could possibly have anything to do with the display (obviously the correct one is unknown to me). I've got the texture sizes at "match bmp sizes as closely as possible". I've been through Nvidia Inspector and changed the global profile from 'application controlled' to 'override application setting' and then I tried nearly every AA setting available. I made a new 'Gmax profile' in NvI and set that to 'Override any application setting' and then tried all the D3D options for AA, nothing works. Gmax is installed in C:\MSFS\Gmax so it shouldn't be a permissions issue (I've got UAC off). EDIT: FSX Gamepack SP2 and all that

What the h*ll am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:
A

Aviasim

Have you checked the "Match bitmap as closely as possible" in the Customize > Preferences > Viewports > configure driver ? there are 2 options that say "Match bitmap as closely as possible", tick them both, and on the res choose the top one at 1024 and the bottom one at 1024 aswell

Hopw this helps

Regards

Yep, did all that Darren, thanks. There's gotta be some stupid little checkbox of something I'm missing. It's probably in the card drivers somewhere. Does 3ds max have any better display than Gmax? This is so bad I can't even make out the smaller details of an intricate model part. It's like a bargain bin Win95 3D game or something, actually not quite that nice. I love computers :) .

Jim

hcornea

Resource contributor
Hmm interesting Jim.

I am about to embark on reinstalling Max and Gmax on a brand new laptop (old one started making horrible clicking noises, and overheats :eek: )

So we'll see. I seem to recall there was an anti-aliasing setting for wireframes ... which I always leave off (because I find it easier to see when things are straight)

We'll see if I end up with a mess too!

A

Aviasim

Yep, did all that Darren, thanks. There's gotta be some stupid little checkbox of something I'm missing. It's probably in the card drivers somewhere. Does 3ds max have any better display than Gmax? This is so bad I can't even make out the smaller details of an intricate model part. It's like a bargain bin Win95 3D game or something, actually not quite that nice. I love computers :) .

Jim

I remember having the same issues with GMax but my fix was what I just suggested to you. 3DS Max does have a better quality in its viewport textures, there is also the "Render" tool aswell and many very useful modifiers.

Darren

I dunno guys, maybe it's just because the new monitor is so much larger than the old? I got a fresh copy of gmax.ini out of the SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\FSX_GmaxGamePack folder and it may be a placebo effect, but I think it does look better now after setting the graphics up a 2nd time. Also once an object is textured it does look better, so maybe that'll be an incentive to get textures on things quicker!

Interested to hear how you make out with the laptop Ian.

Jim

I don't understand too much about this things, but I think a not have an old Pc, the monitor 22", windows 7 etc. and I have not problem with gmax, only minor issues, like some windows freeze a little but click again it's solved, and I "guess" many people here could say the same :confused::)

hcornea

Resource contributor
Well ... firstly, this new laptop is awesome! Gmax starts in under 3 seconds. Max 2012 starts in (cough) 20 seconds. SSDs were made for laptops!

I have taken the opportunity to do a clean install ... so Gmax, a new SDK SP2

Apart from ramping the texture download resolution up, and using the DirectX driver, and tagging the shortcut to kill Aero when it runs, it seems to look ok here.

The screen is 1920 x 1080

The nitrous DX drivers on Max look nicer, but hey it also takes a lot longer to load!

Sweet, what did you buy for a laptop, BTW? I was looking at them the other day in fact I sent money with a friend who had found a good deal at Staples, but by the time he got to the store there was only one left and of course he got it :)

Jim

hcornea

Resource contributor
Its a Dell XPS 15z.

It had some "issues" out of the box, but it has an i7-2640 Sandy Bridge, 8Gb, 256 Gb SSD, Nvidia GT525M, 64bit W7 Pro

It is not as small as I'd hoped ... but it is faster than the old heap.

Sadly, even though I am growing to like it ... its metal chasis is a bit plastic, and I would have liked smaller. (After travelling with a Macbook air, I nearly bought a Macbook Pro)

The new Acer Ultrportables look good. (ULV processor, though)

Last edited: