• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Where are handcrafted airports stored in MSFS

Hi All,

I'm on a question to add parking codes to some of the handcrafted airports. Thanks to some assistance from @Ryanosaurus13 (https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...20-bgl-files-to-xml.450677/page-4#post-903645) I've been able to modify the occasional 3rd party .BGL and add codes to their airport however some other 3rd party BGL's won't convert to .XML.

In any event, I'm now trying to add parking codes to Asobos handcrafted EGLL. Using ADE I can load the STOCK airport, add codes to it and then build/compile it as a new package. Note, I'm not adding any models etc. The problem however is that dropping it into the community folder gives me duplicate jetways. Presumably I'm getting the jetways from the handcrafted version and those that I've just added as part of my new package.

So I guess I have two options. I can

1. Modify the handcrafted BGL to remove the jetways; or
2. As I did with the other 3rd party scenery, put my new .BGL into the handcrafted scenery location; or
3. Somehow disable the handcrafted BGL and use the one that exists in my new package.

Problem is I don't know where the handcrafted airport BGLs are stored. The textures etc are under \Official\Steam\asobo-airport-egll-heathrow but there's no BGL to modify in there. There is a large gttpfiti.fsarchive ... maybe the file is encrypted?

Anybody able to provide any advice or insight?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
The software checks the integrity of the Official folder with each start and modified elements are purged. You'd want to set up and install your hacked airport, just like you were providing a 3rd party improvement to the default one.
1. Modify the handcrafted BGL to remove the jetways
Not possible.
2. As I did with the other 3rd party scenery, put my new .BGL into the handcrafted scenery location
Not possible.
3. Somehow disable the handcrafted BGL and use the one that exists in my new package.

The how is to use the normal DevMode tools to create a project that excludes the default airport and adds yours in it's place, with everything in the Community folder.

Country
canada
Contrary to popular belief, it is possible. However only with non-locked airports. I've done it myself with various airports just recently. @Airbumps just do what you've been doing and replace the bgl in the official folder location with the modified bgl. No need to create a new bgl in the community folder. As you have found, it does end up making duplicate jetways. The only way to ensure that this does not happen is to replace the file itself in the official folder. Also, from what I've seen FS2020 only checks integrity as far as "is the file there."

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Hacking software to avoid learning the MSFS package build process, or worse, to circumvent intellectual copyright is not development, it is devolvement.
The only way to ensure that this does not happen is to replace the file itself in the official folder.
This is not a true statement. The only correct way to do this, is to exclude the default airport, then build a package of a modified duplicate and Asobo actually has a process, specifically intended to accomplish exactly that.
from what I've seen FS2020 only checks integrity as far as "is the file there."
Despite your assurances that file presence is adequate for one's hacked work to persist through integrity checks, software updates will restore default status in the Official folder and beyond that, you've not made any case why hacking and abandoning support is superior, to the MSFS SDK defined development process, beyond an appearance of convenience.

Country
canada
It ain't hacked. If it is then you might as well call the whole ADE software a hack. It's a simple use of bglxml to convert a built ADE back to an XML such that you can edit it by opening via XML in ADE (which is something that's been done since FSX). If that is hacking and circumventing copyright then you might as well call many, many mods on flightsim.to hacks and circumventions.

Call it whatever you want but replacing the bgl in the official folder 100% works, it's one of the reasons why AIG can "trick" FS2020 into not rebuilding the "traffic.bgl" Here's an edited KMCO which very much bypassed the FS2020 checks...
(and also look, the jetways aren't duplicated)
1.png
2.png

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Saying a hack, is not a hack, is denial, the functionality of ADE is NOTHING like what you advocate, ADE is decades in development and it works in synergy with the SDK, not despite it. You're squandering your opportunity to demonstrate how this improves on the Asobo process.
replacing the bgl in the official folder 100% works
It does not, it has worked, for you, thus far and it can not possibly survive an update and that has to be worth at least half a percentage point. Quoting the fact that AIG also hacks the Official folder in order to replace one traffic .bgl, is not making a case for learning hacking, as opposed to development.

Country
canada
Dude, I'm not saying ADE is a hack. This is all I am saying: This process of taking a built bgl and converting it into an xml to make it a readable format for ADE is the same thing as going to ADE and clicking "open bgl." Does that make this process a hack then?

The reason why this improves the Asobo process is that you simply cannot use the Asobo SDK to add parking codes to the xml (Which is an integral part in airport immersion when dealing with AI traffic). This process is a way of a workaround to convert a file to a readable format such that you can use ADE to add the parking codes because FS2020's SDK does not allow for such functionality, even though the simulator recognizes it.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I'm not your dude! And, I'm not going to argue what constitutes hacking. I will reply to statements that appear false, with more accurate information, on behalf of others who may be enticed to abandon development, based on comments here.
The reason why this improves the Asobo process is that you simply cannot use the Asobo SDK to add parking codes to the xml (Which is an integral part in airport immersion when dealing with AI traffic). This process is a way of a workaround to convert a file to a readable format such that you can use ADE to add the parking codes because FS2020's SDK does not allow for such functionality, even though the simulator recognizes it.
Asobo does not intend developers to use DevMode to add parking codes to the XML. Asobo instructs developers to exclude the default airport, make a duplicate, then do all the XML editing, duplicating/deleting, etc, parking codes, whatever, then build that Package and add it to the Community folder. It's actually more efficient to follow the SDK, than it is to defy it.

Country
canada
Okay feel free, if that constitutes hacking, so be it, I'm not a software developer, I'm a pilot who just does this stuff on the side to help other people, especially in the AI community. But with your definition, you've just called many other well-known "mods" out there hacks.

I'll leave it to the viewers to decide what to do with this information. But this sort of behaviour, accusing honest workarounds as "hacks" certainly deters people like me who don't do this on a full-time basis and are just helping the community find ways to do certain things that the current FS2020 SDK cannot do because let's face it, Asobo has shown they have much better things to do than cater to the very niche population of part time airport scenery/AI developers.

And just to be clear, here's a bunch of other airports, some being the bespoke FS2020 version that I've successfully edited in the more than 1 year I've been editing airports.

1.png

I think I've spent enough time arguing my point, I'll be back to studying a PPC for real aircraft now. @Airbumps if you ever have any questions, feel free to reach out via discord as I won't be checking in here.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
with your definition, you've just called many other well-known "mods" out there hacks.
No, I have not. "Many other well known mods," do not require users to modify the Official folder contents, in order to function. "Hacking," is not the process of editing XML, it's not even clear what could cause such an assumption.
this sort of behaviour, accusing honest workarounds as "hacks" certainly deters people like me who don't do this on a full-time basis and are just helping the community find ways to do certain things that the current FS2020 SDK cannot do because let's face it, Asobo has shown they have much better things to do than cater to the very niche population of part time airport scenery/AI developers.
This passage is wrong on so many points, we can leave it to the viewers to decide what sort of behavior is detrimental. You openly admit that you only "dabble" in this and one might draw the conclusion, that as soon as the excitement fades, you abandon it. If you truly want to face anything, you would have to admit that Asobo has performed summersaults, as compared to other software developers, to support the developer community. In support of this assertion of support, I draw attention to the numerous softwares and tools that apply specifically to the DevMode experience, the responsive and productive feedback of the official Asobo developer forums and the constantly updated user experience, that again, applies specifically to the DevMode functionality.
No one accused "honest work arounds to be hacks," no one does this on any more of a "full time basis" than anyone else together with the slight against Asobo, for the crime of not having a functioning AI traffic system, imply a claim of "victimhood."
And just to be clear, here's a bunch of other airports, some being the bespoke FS2020 version that I've successfully edited in the more than 1 year I've been editing airports.
I think I've spent enough time arguing my point, I'll be back to studying a PPC for real aircraft now. @Airbumps if you ever have any questions, feel free to reach out via discord as I won't be checking in here.
Congratulations on your productive year. A very big, substantial list of Asobo's edited work. I did notice that rather than continue the discussion on the thread with you, Airbumps started this thread, instead. Hopefully he'll have learned all he needs and won't have to distract you from studying your PPC for real aircraft.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Guys - this is becoming personal and I think it is done.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi All,

I'm on a question to add parking codes to some of the handcrafted airports. Thanks to some assistance from @Ryanosaurus13 (https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...20-bgl-files-to-xml.450677/page-4#post-903645) I've been able to modify the occasional 3rd party .BGL and add codes to their airport however some other 3rd party BGL's won't convert to .XML.

In any event, I'm now trying to add parking codes to Asobos handcrafted EGLL. Using ADE I can load the STOCK airport, add codes to it and then build/compile it as a new package. Note, I'm not adding any models etc. The problem however is that dropping it into the community folder gives me duplicate jetways. Presumably I'm getting the jetways from the handcrafted version and those that I've just added as part of my new package.

So I guess I have two options. I can

1. Modify the handcrafted BGL to remove the jetways; or
2. As I did with the other 3rd party scenery, put my new .BGL into the handcrafted scenery location; or

Problem is I don't know where the handcrafted airport BGLs are stored. The textures etc are under \Official\Steam\asobo-airport-egll-heathrow but there's no BGL to modify in there. There is a large gttpfiti.fsarchive ... maybe the file is encrypted?

Anybody able to provide any advice or insight?
If you just want to leave the stock jetways, then set the DeleteAirport | deleteAllJetways="FALSE", and make sure all the jetways in the ADE are deleted. Then you get no duplicates.
If you want to replace the jetways with new models or placement, then set the DeleteAirport | deleteAllJetways="TRUE", and make sure all the jetways are replaced in ADE.