• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Where to Host Team Development

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Just looking around at places where co-operative development is hosted. Couple of places - Codeplex.com or the workspaces on gotdotnet. Both are run by Microsoft I think, and I'm sure that there are others.

Just wondered how we manage AFCADX? Here on FSDeveloper or on one of these sites?

Country
netherlands
I am using Codeplex and is very happy with it (I think it is going to replace gotdotnet anyway). It is based on Microsoft Team Server. They provide defect tracking and forum as well (optionally). The source control understand things like moving and renaming files (it tracks it is moved, not a simple "stop using old file, see - there is a new file now" approach typically used). Checkins can be associated with the defects/features logged in the system, code can be "shelved" etc.

It also integrates in VS2005 Developer edition and above. I think you need to run the client seperately for VS Prof and Express edditions (I have not tried it though).

Notice they list it might take time to get your project approved... turnaround time when the project I worked on was created was a few hours max though. The main problem is that you have to select a license BEFORE creating the project and you can't easily change it. I am in for any typical opensource license (Microsofts or GPL).

We can keep the forum here if preferred, but we can as well take advantage of the source control and defect tracking they provide.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I think we can use this site for the discussion. Once we really get started, I think it is best to create a special subforum for this project.

What we need is a place to store the source code, probably in a CVS or SVN system (so that we have version control as well). I don't have experience with the sites you mention, but any one offering these functions is fine to me.

Maybe we should try to find a good name for this tool? I don't really like the name AFCADX. It is too close to the current AFCAD, so that people might think it is just a new version of that tool. Also the tool should become much more than AFCAD is in the end.

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
How about "The FS Developer ultimate design tool for flight simulator"

or...

"tfsdudtffs" for short.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
How about "The FS Developer ultimate design tool for flight simulator"

or...

"tfsdudtffs" for short.

Errrr...............maybe not.....especially since the word 'DUD' appears in the middle :D

I agree Arno - I just needed to call it something - we should find something more suitable, in the meantime maybe we can follow MS and give it a code name? or an acronym - say USD for Ultimate Scenery Designer? Maybe not as that is the symbol for US Dollars :) :)

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Or something like SDSX (Scenery Design Suite X)