• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Windows XP Issue; Folder Icons

Country
us-arizona
Hey all,

I know some of us are extremely knowledgeable on OS systems. I thought I would ask this here.

Has anyone heard of icons disappearing for things in Windows, such as the folder icons?

Even my icons for other programs in my Start list are gone now, not appearing.

I looked at my registered amount of RAM showing, and all three are there, (actually 4, but its WinXP 32, so only 3 are read).

All I did was return to Phoenix, hooked it back up to my large screen monitor (big TV) and now the icons for the Start menu, and anything with 'folder' icons are now gone. The names and a generic icon show.

Any thoughts on what is wrong would be helpful.

Bill

Country
unitedstates
Right click on the task bar then properties. Poke around in everything. I think there is a reset default button. You can select the number of icons to save in the start list. Could be under "customize". See if anything is amiss. Might look in folder options in explorer, also.

How has the computer been running lately?

Good luck.

Bob

Country
us-arizona
Hey Bob,

It runs awesome. Smoothly, fast, etc. I brought it up north with me to work on while on vacation, then brought it back. It has a built in display and sometimes it has issues when I link it into the huge TV.

Sometimes when I have had it on all day, bouncing into Gmax, FS, Photoshop, she will start to show generic icons, and I reboot and its fine, as though a memory leak. This time is the first that it has just started doing 'this', with only a hand full of icons showing up at all, and cold start.

Country
unitedstates
Ah well, there's the problem; vacation.

What kind of computer is this? Kind of sounds like a hardware problem rather than an OS problem.

Bob

Country
us-arizona
Hey Bob,

Its an Apple iMac 2008 with Intel chips. I ran it in Mac mode last night (usually every night) and all is well there. I had thought maybe the VRam was going out, but in Mac OSX mode, all is perfect. That leads me to believe that perhaps something in Windows is going.

At first, I thought perhaps the icon bitmap was missing, but alot of icons arent showing up in the Start menu, none of the folders (yellow icons) show up in any of the Microsoft Explorer lists, which makes it hard to discern anything from folders.

In the attached screenshot, you can see that specialty folders show up, but not the generic folder icons.

Really odd.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
I had that problem once when I went from three monitors to two. It would generally shift the unplugged monitors' icons to the #1 screen, but sometimes XP would "Lose" them. Have you shifted the number of monitors lately?

Jim

Re-read the post...nevermind.