• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

X-File with 2002 sdk

Hi all,

First of all, thank you guys for the great knowledge you are sharing with us!

Now, I have a question to the "x-file?"

When I tried to export my first ground polygon to fs9, makeMDL wants me to choose a "x-file?" as input file. Where can I find this x-file?

I think I have installed the fs2002 sdk properly...

Here's an arial image of my first project btw, Mainz Finthen Airfield EDFZ, my hometowns local airport:

Thank you!

Kiwi

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

If you are using a tool like GMax it will create the X file for you. You will only be asked to provide it if you start MakeMDL directly without using a gamepack.

Can you maybe describe the tools you are using and the steps you are trying to take in a little more detail?

wow what a fast reply :D

I've just added the fs2002 sdk to my fs9 gmax gamepack as its discribed in the "Installing the FS2004 GMax SDK over the FS2002 GMax SDK" documentary in the fs9 gamepack folder (After an tutorial here on fsdeveloper: "Installing FS2002 GMax gamepack").
So the only plugin im using is MakeMDL till now, but I know I have to use others in the next steps...

When I try to export the arial-plane gmax gives me this mesage:

MakeMDL was not found, or failed to convert the model specified in 'C:\Users\Dominik\Desktop\finthen\finthen\scenery\arial' to a .MDL file. check your system path to ensure MakeMDL is on it.

And the log gives me this message:

Running model

Start! (C:\Users\Dominik\Desktop\finthen\finthen\scenery\arial)
Loading X C:\Users\Dominik\Desktop\finthen\finthen\scenery\arial...
Error in exporter: Mismatch between # vertices (84) and # normals (1) in part arial.
Error!
Error!

Any tips?

Thanks

Kiwi

Last edited:
Just that I understood you right:

The x-file is a file that gmax creates automaticly when I'm starting MakeMDL through exporting a model as .bgl in gmax?

This is my Gamepacks\FS2002 Folder:

In the plugins folder there are 2 files: FSModelExp.dle and MakeMDL, both copied from the first fs2002 pro disc.

Kiwi

Maybe I've done something wrong at the gmax model?

Error in exporter: Mismatch between # vertices (84) and # normals (1) in part arial.

Maybe I have to edit the model (convertions etc...) in anyway before I can start
exporting it as .bgl?

Help please :(

Thank you!

Kiwi

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I have never seen that error before, but it seems indeed that the X file has some problems and therefore GMax can not compile the BGL file for you.

Did you also install the FSModelExp.dle file from the FS2002 Pro disks? Without that I am not sure if the FS2002 gamepack can function correctly.

I recently re-installed my setup and got the same error. Mine was resolved when I altered the Path to the plugin from within gmax. Try it...go to configure/paths and choose the plugin tab....click on fs2002, and "modify" what's shown to include the entire path (including the drive letter). That did it for me.

again, no succes :(

I just reinstallled gmax 1.2 from the fs9 disc... (After I checked the plugin-path like bob5568 described)
Now, could you guys give me a describtion on how to istall the 2002sdk?
I haven't installed the 2004sdk now, so is there any installer for the 2002sdk?
I also already tried to just copie the "Flightsim" folder out of the gmax.cab on fs2002 pro disc 1 to the gamepacks folder in gmax, and added the modelMDL plugin in normal gmax as bob5568 it described but again, same faliture.

Thanks again...

Kiwi

Last edited:
I recommend you install the fs9 gmax gamepack sdk after your gmax 1.2 install. Then you'll have somewhere else your extracted files from the fs2002 folder as per the wiki article, right?

Ok...in the fs2004 gamepack folder, after installation will be a word file telling you how to install a fs2002 gamepack alongside the fs2004 gamepack. Follow that to the letter.

ONce its all done, THEN I had to edit the path in the fs2002 plugins page, but it was ONLY in the version of gmax that comes up by using the fs2002 shortcut you'll have AFTER the installs noted here.

Starting from the different shortcuts employs different gmax.ini's....thus changing the path statements is ineffective unless done after starting with the fs2002 shortcut.

so, still the same :(

what I did:

1. installing gmax 1.2 from fs9 disc
2. installing fs9 gmax sdk
3. created FS2002 folder in C:\gmax\gamepacks\
4. copied gmax.ini, plugin.ini and FS2002 shortcut from C:\gmax\gamepacks\fs2004\docs\ to my FS2002 folder
5. Created plugins folder in C:\gmax\gamepacks\FS2002\
6. Copied MSModelExp.dle and makemdl to my FS2002 plugins folder

The Path to the plugins folder was right...

did I forget sth?

Thanks

Kiwi

Last edited:
When you say the "path to the plugin was right", did that path include the drive letter? Mine didn't, and when I added the drive letter, it worked. Before I added the drive letter, it didn't work. Did you read the document, installing fs2002 gamepack over fs2004 gamepack? There was specific instructions on how to populate the .ini files. If you skipped that, read that doc and do what it says.

The path included the drive letter...
And in the "installing fs2002 gamepack over fs2004 gamepack" documentary is said:

Note: When you installed the FS2004 gmax SDK, the setup program placed copies of gmax.ini, plugin.ini, and FS2002.lnk as described above in steps 5, 6, and 7 in the c:\gmax\gamepacks\fs2004\docs directory.

I also compared the .ini's content with the one of the documentary...they are the same....but I gave it a try and copied the documentary's content to the two .ini's, so gmax resetted and than (I think that was the way you installed your 2002sdk) I had to correct the path to MakeMDL.
But as result their was no difference...

I dont get it :D

Thanks

PS: maybe there's any problem with MakeMDL and Vista?

Kiwi

Last edited:
I'm sorry the install is still not working for you. I use Win 7 pro, and I would have guessed vista would behave similarly, but at this point I'm out of ideas. There was an upgrade to makemdl after the sdk was released. I forget where I found it, I think its available on this site somewhere. Seems like a long shot, but at this point, who knows?

Ok, a long shot, lol :D

Thanks for your help bob!

I will search for it, so please let the thread open till I've found a download link which I can post here to help others with the same problem! ;)

Greetings

Kiwi

updated it, still not working -.-

I don't know whats wrong....
I'll try on another pc now.

If anybody got a hint or same problems, pls tell me!

Kiwi

OMG, got it now!

I had changed my system language to english,
but there was also a tab where to change formats, where I had to change the format to english too -.-

lol, damn vista :D

Thanks to everbody,

Kiwi