• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

XML vs C Guages

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
XML vs C

Guys, I am hearing a lot of feedback about C vs XML guages. What is the difference to you as developers? Why would you prefer one over the other?

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
XML vs C

Guys, I am hearing a lot of feedback about C vs XML guages. What is the difference to you as developers? Why would you prefer one over the other?

C/C++/GDI+ - a winning combination in terms of fluidity, flexibility, extensibility and most of all security!

XML is perfectly fine for "freeware" and "simple" gauges, but is an absolute horror for anything more complex than a simple glass display.

Some folks cite the GPS as a terrific example of just how "complex" XML gauges can be, but what they don't realize is that the XML "GPS" gauge is just a shell...

...all the real work is done by a C++/GDI+ .dll in the background... :eek:

ddawson

Resource contributor
Country
canada
XML vs C

I have to agree with Bill on this. There is still too much that XML (as implemented in FS) can't do.

Doug Dawson

Country
france
Hello,
Thanks for your answers Bill and Doug.

What do you think about new XML features of FSX ? They have included some new features, like TCAS capabilities (which were only available in C before). The control tower displays (which are all XML) are very impressive. Also the language seems to have changed.

n4gix can you explain what do you hear by "security" in C gauges ?

--

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Hello,
Thanks for your answers Bill and Doug.

n4gix can you explain what do you hear by "security" in C gauges ?

--

It's quite simple, actually. C gauges are compiled and cannot be 'de-compiled' into any form of usable, human readable format. Hence, they are fully protected from anyone "borrowing" anthing other than perhaps the bitmaps (which may also be protected should one wish to take the extra effort).

XML gauges, on the other hand, are completely unprotected, meaning that anyone can - with no real effort whatever - "uncab" a gauge file and copy-paste your hard work. Even a basic level of "protection" such as the ability to password lock the compressed .CAB file, such as may be done with a .ZIP compressed file would be a huge step forward! :eek:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

XML gauges cannot create sounds (without Doug's C++ helper gauge), and they are not secure in any way. Of course, that's great for me, since I can learn the XML coding from the default gauges... :)

Take care,

Country
france
Ah, OK. I did not look at security under this angle. But in any case, you are protected by copyright laws, so someone borrowing your code is a theft. I didn't realize that opensourceness could be a threat to creativity :(

Maybe someone can go through obfuscation of XML code in order to distribute them safely.

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
This seems like a MS "boo boo" to me. XML is the way they are pushing developers, but they have not given protection to same developers.

This should be discussed and made a case for submission to be changed in the next version. As a large community, we are in a position to do that I hope.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
This seems like a MS "boo boo" to me. XML is the way they are pushing developers, but they have not given protection to same developers.

This should be discussed and made a case for submission to be changed in the next version. As a large community, we are in a position to do that I hope.

I have to agree with that Nick

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
I think the best bet will be for a pae to be created on the new WIKI (when we release it soon) that allows developers to add developer only issues to a list.

I will do my bit in making sure the ACES team review it.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I think the best bet will be for a pae to be created on the new WIKI (when we release it soon) that allows developers to add developer only issues to a list.

I will do my bit in making sure the ACES team review it.

That sounds like a great way to do it

Country
us-kentucky
Hence, they are fully protected from anyone "borrowing" anthing other than perhaps the bitmaps (which may also be protected should one wish to take the extra effort).

Hey all, just found this board... great job.

Bill, there is an easy way to "protect" the resources?

Patrick

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Hey all, just found this board... great job.

Bill, there is an easy way to "protect" the resources?

Patrick

I wouldn't call it "easy," but the method (so far as I understand it!) involves storing the bitmaps in an encoded format that effectively masks them from being decoded. The major drawback being that such gauges will choke FS Panel Studio from finding/displaying the bitmaps also, which in turn makes gauge placement a problem... ;)

I suspect that those who go this route only convert the bitmaps after the beta testing is complete and they are ready for RTM... ;)

Country
us-kentucky
Ok. Just thought maybe I had missed something.

Yeah, could dynamically decode them from some form of encyption, but then I'm not sure it is really worth the trouble. If someone "borrows" them, it's likely for their own use anyway, or to learn.

Patrick