• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

YEIP - Yet another island problem

Messages
227
Country
germany
It seems to me that creating islands has a lot of aspects and approaches.
For my Solomon project I have designed around 420 (!!) islands so far, from the numerous very small ones to large like Guadalcanal. I have two approaches:

- in a larger water poly, set a hole, surrounded by a water exclusion
- set a contured water poly at the new coastline, using water exclusions only where needed (used on existing larger islands)

Most (I dare say 90 %) of the islands show up all right with these methods. However, there are some anomalies that I can not explain or remedy with what I know. Let's have a look at the Florida islands, Central Solomon Privince, for example. On the FSX screens, note the existing shorelines with the landmass missing.
These islands (29 here on the Solomon Folrida Islands) are drawn with Google Earth, imported into Ringpiece as KML, exportetd to SBuilderX as SBX. Here I import the SBX, set a large hydro poly, set a general water and shoreline exclusion, make polys out of the island lines (and define the new shorelines), and associate the new island polys as holes of the large hydro. That's my workflow. See pics.

Now, as in this example, there is the phenomenon of parts of islands or the whole of them not showing up. See pictures, note the SBX pic is set to QMID11.
What is odd is that part of it shows, and part not. I also find that cut through the existing island strange, because this line is nowhere (I checked TMFviewer) to be seen and I can not relate this to QMID 11 boundaries. And also note the few small ones in the upper part that are missing, outside of any rectangular boundary.
I have tried everything to no avail. Creating polys with Landclasses on the missing land, etc. I know that I probably have a misconception about the logic of creating the islands (or better making the land show), but have no clue what this could be.

Any hint is really appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark
 

Attachments

  • solo-prop-sbx.jpg
    solo-prop-sbx.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 532
  • sol-prop3.jpg
    sol-prop3.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 488
  • sol-prop.jpg
    sol-prop.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
I usually clip the polygons and deal with each rectangle separatey:

 
You would need to export an SBX file of the waterpolys and their holes, as well as the exclusion polys, zip it up and attach it to a post.

Then others could look at the problem instead of guessing.

Dick
 
Dick, sorry, you're right of course. I have attached the Florida group to this mail.
It seems to me that I have not understood the principle of the QMID grid and the exclusions to the whole extend.

Thanks for your help,
Mark
 

Attachments

It looks ok to me :confused:





There are a couple of features which are defined only as shore-lines:



 
Last edited:
Hi Mark.

I imported the SBX file into SBX313. I made the 2 polys for the missing islands, and set them as holes in the water. ( I also trimmed the large water poly by making it "sliced" to QMID11, and then deleted the small excess water polys that overlaped QMID borders. ) I put the BGL into FSX' "Addon Scenery/scenery" folder.

It looks OK in my sim, with no parts missing. So the SBX file is OK... the QMID slicing/trimming should have no effect on how it looks.

If parts are missing, I wonder if there is another file that is interfering with your file setup?

The process you use is right. Exclude polys, add shorelines, make polys from the lines, set the polys as holes in the water, and apply a landclass if needed.

I very familiar with this area due to my terrain work in CFS2.

Dick
 

Attachments

Solved!

Thanks for your help, guys. And sorry about these two little islands in the top, I thought they were part of the problem (it was late in the evening...).
It indeed was a another bgl file that disturbed the scenery. The offending BGL sat with a cryptic name in the addon\scenery folder and I almost pulled my hair out before I found out what gives. I hate it when you feel that everything you seem (or think) to know is suddenly put into question.

Work is progressing nicely and without such annoyances now, see

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=32269&page=4


Cheers,
Mark
 
Last edited:
Back
Top