• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Transparent windows a bit too transparent

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make the glass windscreens and windows in an aircraft I'm modeling and I'm using the recipe for glass provided by Bill in this thread: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/fsx-glass-material-realistic-glass.21116/

It seems however that if I apply the exact setting used by Bill the objects that I should see through the glass (the interior in this case) simply disappears... Am I doing something wrong here?

{9989c2e6-e9be-4146-59cb-d66c46e4f23b}.jpg

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Just curious:
Does that also happen in the sim? Maybe it's a difference between the sim and MCX? :scratchch

Country
us-ohio
Your Interior has Not Disappeared, You Haven't created an interior Yet ! You are looking through the Windows, and out the backside of Your Exterior Polygons. do a copy of Your Fuselage, Re scale it to slightly smaller than Your Fuselage, Then Invert the Interior Polygon Normal's, call it Interior ! this way When You look through Windows, You will see the Interior Polygons Properly ! You will be looking at them from their Front Side ! Johnman

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Your Interior has Not Disappeared, You Haven't created an interior Yet ! You are looking through the Windows, and out the backside of Your Exterior Polygons. do a copy of Your Fuselage, Re scale it to slightly smaller than Your Fuselage, Then Invert the Interior Polygon Normal's, call it Interior ! this way When You look through Windows, You will see the Interior Polygons Properly ! You will be looking at them from their Front Side ! Johnman
Have a closer look. Actually there is an interior visible through that open door. I'm sure that's at least a seat ;)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
If there are specific material settings that don't render correct in MCX let me know, might be a bug. Are you using the latest development release?

Country
us-ohio
Yes I see the seat, and I am not exactly sure of the Structure of Your Geometry ! However if You look at the upper RH Windshield, You will See The RH Engine Cowl ! With the Door thing We are Not Looking through Glass ! I Assume We are Looking at the display from a Modeling Program ? If We are, Go in and Delete The Polygons for the Right Windshield, and See if Your Interior Polygons Return ?? Is this a Model that You are Creating in a Modeling Program ?? Or is it a Model in a Converter Program, that You are trying to Modify ?? My Poor Little Pea Brain is Whirling, With Very few Gears Enmesh !! - Johnman :cool:

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
No I obviously understand that in order for FSX to display something there actually has to be something to display. The model, which I'm making myself in Blender (it's an Embraer EMB-120) has a cut through as such:

int.png

And yes I'm still working on it, there's no real gear yet as I'm trying to figure all of it out... But it has mesh, I'm pretty proud of it so don't judge it negativelly please....

@arno I'm not sure what setting is causing this MCX render to be so transparent, I can give you the material settings if that help. I have the latest development release installed...

2017-1-21_19-44-22-405.png

Capture_Trans.JPG

Country
us-ohio
Your Model Really Looks Terrific, I'm just trying to figure out Where We are at , and Where We need to go ! Stupid Question Please . If the Model Displays Correctly in Blender, and the Model displays Correctly in Fsx, What is the Point of MCX ?? Sorry I'm more in Tune with Gmax, Fsds, and 3dsmax. and the Process in Between . tried Blender, But it Didn't work for Me ! I was under the Understanding that Blender was a Complete Program, with Modeling, Texturing, and Animation ?? - Johnman

Last edited:

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Stupid Question Please . If the Model Displays Correctly in Blender, and the Model displays Correctly in Fsx, What is the Point of MCX ?? Sorry I'm more in Tune with Gmax, Fsds, and 3dsmax. and the Process in Between . I was under the Understanding that Blender was a Complete Program, with Modeling, Texturing, and Animation ?? - Johnman

That's not actually a stupid question. What it boils down to is first of all I normally do not have access to my sim but I do have access to my installation of MCX. Secondly I have experienced minor problems with texture assignments in Blender, so my suspicious child in side of me always tries MCX to see if all is well.

Sorry if I came across a bit harsh

Last edited:
Country
us-ohio
Gottcha ! However I don't think I would become too Concerned with the Middle Man, as long as what You stuff in the Front side, comes out the Back side, in good shape ! Keep the WIPs coming, Letting Us know how You are doing ! Don't be too concerned with Tutorials, or Videos that Refer to a Different Modeling Programs, Remember that all these Programs do the same thing, its the Method that is different ! - Johnman

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
well, I got these images, but there's still a whole lot of stuff missing. Two things that I am pretty proud of those are the windscreens and the engine-flaps (a feature I had never seen before but the EMB-120 has them).

R1.png

R2.png

R3.png

Country
us-ohio
I Love it !! Been a Licensed Aircraft Mechanic Since 1961, But You Got Me !! What's an Engine Flap ??, on a Turbine Engine ?? Hint - Try Adding a Basic Texture, Like Plain Grey, to Your Model, It'll give the model better Resolution and Definition, Not so Flat ! Lookingoodsofar !! - Johnman

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I think the technical term is "nacelle flaps", maybe that sounds familiar (it didnt to me until i read some manuals). I call them engine flaps because as far as I understand they are part of the flaps system and integrated in what I'd call the engine. Here you see it:

R4.jpg

R5.jpg

You can tell me what they are exactly, after all you have the expertise that I simply lack. But I'm only aware of such a system on this aircraft...

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
You'll find flaps like that on other aircraft, one being the Westland Whirlwind fighter. I'm not familiar with the Embraer, but that's a promising looking model!

Country
us-ohio
That Makes Sense, I thought You might have been Referring to something like Cowl Flaps or Reverser Buckets (Clam Shells) - Johnman

Country
spain
Are you rendering with Blender ?, try to diminish the lights or something so, the airlane look a Little flat as said before. too brilliant or something so

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Are you rendering with Blender ?, try to diminish the lights or something so, the airlane look a Little flat as said before. too brilliant or something so

Sorry I was really tired (and lazy I guess) so I used the simple Ambient Occlusion settings as my render light. Here are some better renders:

R6.png

R7.png

R8.png

Sorry for the blending with the sky color

That Makes Sense, I thought You might have been Referring to something like Cowl Flaps or Reverser Buckets (Clam Shells) - Johnman

I know, don't ever listen to my terminology, it will be wrong 99% of the time

You'll find flaps like that on other aircraft, one being the Westland Whirlwind fighter. I'm not familiar with the Embraer, but that's a promising looking model!

Interesting. See I didn't know of any aircraft having such a system up until now. I already guessed that there were bound to be more aircraft with such a system out there, but my knowledge seems to lack here. I only know "enough" about the mainstream commercial airliners and barely enough about modern day jet fighters to win an argument (occasionally), so I'll take it from you that it is not that special? I had never seen it before anyways. BTW that Whirlwind (had to google it because I just did not know) is a really cool aircraft, thank you for extending my knowledge just a bit! :)

Country
spain
much better I understand it's a tiring work to adjust renders etc after some hours of modelling work. but as can be seen a good rendering enhance your work even more. and you can detect better any fault in the mesh.Looking good
A question those engine flaps would be the same that cowl flaps.?

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I don't think it's quite the same as a cowl flap, it is not meant to cool the engine so.
Another thing that I'm quite proud of, though it's very little effort if you think about it, is the multi-stage rudder (again terminology is completely wrong):

R9.png

R10.png