• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 EGT Question

Country
italy
When starting the RR Conway in real life the EGT starts to climb between 11-13%n2 but the fuel is not admitted into the engine until 24%n2. In the sim model EGT doesn't move until fuel is entered so I presume it is linked to fuel flow. Is that the case? If so is there any way I can get the EGT to start rising as described before fuel is entered? Many thanks.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Add an offset that increases from 11% N2, reaches its peak at 24% N2 and then decreases again?

Country
italy
Add an offset that increases from 11% N2, reaches its peak at 24% N2 and then decreases again?
Do you mean a second variable in the gauge?

This the current code and as you can see it is already quite complex. As it also incorporates ambient cooling.
Code:
Gauge Name="TGT 1" Version="1.0">
   <Image Name="EGT_back.bmp" Luminous="1"/>
   <Element>
      <Position X="448" Y="452"/>
      <Image Name="Needle_EGT.bmp" PointsTo="North" Luminous="1">
         <Axis X="145" Y="365"/>
      </Image>
      <Rotate>
         <Value Minimum="0" Maximum="800">(A:General eng1 exhaust gas temperature, celsius) (L:LastEGT1,enum) &gt; if{ (A:ENG1 EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE, celsius) (L:temp adj1,number) - (L:E1_hotstart, number) - }
els{ (L:LastEGT1,enum) } </Value>

<Nonlinearity>
            <Item Value="0" X="111" Y="622"/>
            <Item Value="50" X="90" Y="570"/>
            <Item Value="200" X="98" Y="290"/>
            <Item Value="400" X="402" Y="87"/>
            <Item Value="600" X="754" Y="257"/>
            <Item Value="800" X="774" Y="629"/>
         </Nonlinearity>
<Delay DegreesPerSecond="60"/>
      </Rotate>
   </Element>

<Element>
      <Select>
         <Value Minimum="0" Maximum="800">(A:General eng1 exhaust gas temperature, celsius) (L:LastEGT1,enum) &gt; if{ (A:ENG1 EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE, celsius) (L:temp adj1,number) - (L:E1_hotstart, number) - (>L:EGT1_read_out,number) }
els{ (L:LastEGT1,enum) (>L:EGT1_read_out,number) } </Value>
      </Select>
   </Element>

<Mouse>
<Tooltip>Engine1 EGT: %((L:EGT1_read_out,number))%!03d!&#176;%c %</Tooltip>
   </Mouse>
</Gauge>

Last edited:

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
Volo,
Remember that all the various engine temps and EPR are generated for display separately and after the sim calculates engine performance.
So A: anything to do with engine temp,garbage is just that and you need to do as Grumpy suggested.
But, how can EGT rise if no combustion is taking place, no fuel flow till later?
Roy

Country
italy
Volo,
Remember that all the various engine temps and EPR are generated for display separately and after the sim calculates engine performance.
So A: anything to do with engine temp,garbage is just that and you need to do as Grumpy suggested.
But, how can EGT rise if no combustion is taking place, no fuel flow till later?
Roy
Hi Roy,
egt.jpg

In this image you can see the needle is pointing to below 50 celsius. And two painted green lines that must be in-line. This is the at-rest engine off position and in real life the engines cannot/should not be restarted until this position is achieved. The first position on the scale is 50 celsius. What happens in real life is that as the air is compressed during the start-up it gets hot just like a bicycle pump. But that doesn't register on the gauge until after 11%n2. To precisely what temperature I don't know as yet. But I would say more than 50 if not 100. So what I want to model is the needle moving off mark after 11%n2 and then the actual EGT to continue as seen in my code above once the engine has started. All this to be in a smooth operation as it were. (L:LastEGT1,enum) is the ambient cooling variable after shut down.

So I am trying to think of how I can add a variable to what I already have to start the needle in motion and then the existing code take over once that initial temperature has been passed. Ideas welcome. :idea:

Last edited:

taguilo

Resource contributor
Country
argentina
What happens in real life is that as the air is compressed during the start-up it gets hot just like a bicycle pump. But that doesn't register on the gauge until after 11%n2. To precisely what temperature I don't know as yet. But I would say more than 50 if not 100.

Have you checked that personally in a real VC10 cockpit? Do you have any document about this behavior?
EGT rise is the primary indication for light up, which obviously needs fuel injection. It sounds very weird to me that EGT would rise 50-100 ºC without fuel being burnt, just because of "hot compressed air".

Tom

Country
italy
Have you checked that personally in a real VC10 cockpit? Do you have any document about this behavior?
EGT rise is the primary indication for light up, which obviously needs fuel injection. It sounds very weird to me that EGT would rise 50-100 ºC without fuel being burnt, just because of "hot compressed air".

Tom
I have it on good authority from a Flight Engineer who was in the RAF and worked on the engines for 8 years. And he currently maintains ZD241 at Bruntingthorpe in ground running order. I have asked him by how much the temperature rises and am awaiting his reply. I was surprised myself when he mentioned it. But seeing as it was/is his job one has to believe. My suspicion is that the needle comes off its park and up to no more than 50c.
Here is the aircraft in question ZD241.
and this one
from 2:20. You need to turn your sound up to maximum. :)

Country
indonesia
I've just had a look at some old datalogs I have from a CF6-6 cranking at 2350rpm before ignition.
Ambient temperature 93.5'F
T3 temperature 122.6'F.
(T3 is the temperature exiting the compressor section.)

Country
italy
What seems to be happening in real life is that the starter switch is thrown and at 11%n2 the HP cock is partially opened and around 22-24%n2 the HP cock is set to "run" ie. fully open. From what I can tell the EGT rises to about 300c from 11%n2, stays at 300c for some seconds and then from 22-24%n2 rises more rapidly to its max before falling back. So I need to introduce a fake variable to count up to 300 and stay there until the real EGT catches up and passes it. I have tried starting from 11%n2 but the sim rolls back and won't ignite the engine.

Country
us-ohio
At 300 C, that's over 570 F... I don't think the laws of physics would allow for simple compression to achieve that temperature in the engine. There would have to be fuel burning. Also, EGT is measured at the rear of the engine and thus would be where the exhausted air is decompressing which would actually cause a drop in temperature, not a rise.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Maybe the burner cans need to be preheated or cleared of residual fuel before actual startup? :D

Country
italy
It seems that the burners light-up much earlier ie. at 11%n2. There are three settings to the HP cock. Closed, Start and Run. So I think that's the key.

taguilo

Resource contributor
Country
argentina
Now it makes sense. At 11% a first line of fuel is added when the HP cock is partially open. Then a second line of fuel is enabled when the HP cock is full open, at 22-24%.

Tom

Country
italy
Now it makes sense. At 11% a first line of fuel is added when the HP cock is partially open. Then a second line of fuel is enabled when the HP cock is full open, at 22-24%.

Tom
It didn't realy make sense to me either. I found a video with the EGT gauge for engine 4 showing. Not the best resolution but it seemed clear as to what was happening.

Country
italy
I have done an overlay code to start the needle moving at around 12%n2. The main code kicks off at 22%n2 and catches up. It then moves the needle further to max EGT. The problem is that there is too long a delay. The overlay code takes the needle to 300c and then it waits until the main code catches up. That wait is too long. Yes, I can slow down the overlay code but then the needle movement is too slow. Is it possible to speed up the main code at least until it gets to EGT300c?
Code:
<Element>
<Select>
<Value>
(A:General eng1 starter, bool) 1 == (A:Eng1 N2 RPM, percent) 12.3 &gt; and
if{ (L:E1_light_up, number) 1 &lt; if{ 1 (>L:E1_light_up, number) }
1 300 (L:E1_light_up, number) rng if{ (L:E1_light_up, number) 1.000065 * ++ (>L:E1_light_up, number) } }</Value>
</Select>
</Element>
This is the code that starts the needle off.

And this is the main code
Code:
<Value Minimum="0" Maximum="800">(A:General eng1 exhaust gas temperature, celsius) (L:LastEGT1,enum) &gt;
if{ (L:E1_light_up, number) (A:ENG1 EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE, celsius) (L:temp adj1,number) - (L:E1_hotstart, number) - (L:E1_light_up, number) &gt;
if{ (A:ENG1 EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE, celsius) (L:temp adj1,number) - (L:E1_hotstart, number) - } }
els{ (L:LastEGT1,enum) } </Value>
The main code basically hinges on (A:ENG1 EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE, celsius).

Country
italy
I can kick off the starter etc., at 11% but the EGT behaves strangely going up and down. And it too doesn't start to rise at the same time. So I presume I am missing something. I've tried fiddling with this and that but to no avail.
Code:
<Value Minimum="0" Maximum="800">(A:General eng3 exhaust gas temperature, celsius) (L:LastEGT3,enum) &gt; if{ (A:ENG3 EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE, celsius) (L:temp adj3,number) - (L:E3_hotstart, number) - }
els{ (L:LastEGT3,enum) } </Value>
(L:LastEGT3,enum) is the ambient cooling down parameter. The rest besides (A:ENG3 EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE, celsius) are other adjustments related to cooling air etc.

Starter code. The n2 start value is (L:ign,number)
Code:
<Value>(G:Var1) if{ (A:Circuit general panel on, bool) (A:Eng3 N2 RPM, percent) (L:ign,number) &lt; &amp;&amp; if{ 0 (&gt;K:TOGGLE_STARTER3) 0 (&gt;K:THROTTLE3_SET) } els{ (G:Var1) -- (&gt;G:Var1) 0 (&gt;K:MIXTURE3_INCR) } } (G:Var1) 0 != (A:General eng3 starter, bool) ||</Value>
Whatever I do the n2 needle gets to 11%, stops and returns to zero.

Last edited: