• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Experiences with FS2004 aircraft import/export

Country
unitedkingdom
I downloaded them had took a quick look.
I quickly found what I think might be the problem. The parts have custom anim and vis parts that seem to be containing global parms that may or may not be found in FS9. Therefore I am assuming that MCX would not export those conditions.

Have a look at those. Check to see if those parms are compatible with FS9 and if not modify the xml with ones that are and then export that.

UPDATE
Well that is my theory blown out of the water as I then compiled the -10-GE, which I think is the one you were playing with, and the blades appear fine and animate.
Try one thing. Load and export again but this time make sure that in the Modeldef editor you untick the 'only show used' option first.
Sometimes I found that if you don't then some attributes do not get made available to the FS9 mdl.

That is the only thing I could have done differently to you, except that I did not bother with the wing bones for my test.

Last edited:
Country
us-michigan
Well I couldn't wait..
I tried just now and unticked what you suggested but got the same result. Am I supposed to do something else in there? So there must be another setting we have different maybe??

Thanks

Greg

Country
unitedkingdom
It does sound like a settings issue then, unless you don't have the P3D SDK installed.
I apologise for taking up a lot of space but this is in the name of helping.
I have left out Renderer and Texture settings as I don't believe that they would have an impact.

See if there is anything that is at odds with your settings. Now obviously a lot of these are going to be default but some I have definitely altered.

MAIW_0864.jpg
MAIW_0865.jpg

MAIW_0867.jpg

MAIW_0868.jpg

MAIW_0869.jpg
MAIW_0870.jpg
MAIW_0871.jpg

MAIW_0872.jpg

Country
us-michigan
Bingo. Something in there fixed it. I saw a few that made sense but I changed most to what you are working with and now it exported correctly!

Thanks for the help Steve.. Now I just created more work for myself..lol

Greg

Country
unitedkingdom
Gents,
I have been struggling with an issue for a couple of weeks and I have got nowhere in solving it. I wonder if anybody can shine some light on it.

I should start by saying that the package of models is for FSX one but the same error occurs with the P3D versions. The obvious conclusion here is that I am converting to FS9.

Now, I don't believe that MCX creating the issue, but it maybe that it doesn't know about something or doesn't deal with it properly.

The conversion works fine. The mdls compile and the results can be loaded into MCX and AIAE and can be seen.
The issue is that when I introduce the model into FS9 for testing. FS9 loads no problem.
I select the airfield that I am using for testing and hit the Fly Now! button.
it crashes to Desktop with no warning. It occurs at 94% during the loading traffic sequence.

The event viewer shows :-
Faulting application name: fs9.exe, version: 9.1.0.40901, time stamp: 0x4135a208
Faulting module name: SIM1.dll, version: 9.1.0.40901, time stamp: 0x4135a88e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0004fdee
Faulting process ID: 0x0x70B8
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DA9480289D18D7
Faulting application path: F:\Flight Simulator 9\fs9.exe
Faulting module path: F:\Flight Simulator 9\MODULES\SIM1.dll
Report ID: 4d6f35fc-7fcd-4baf-8fbe-779a0a7b2a39
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Now what more I can add is that this airfield and this flightplan I have used for years, I just mod it for whatever I need.
No the flightplan is not corrupt as I commented out the plane being tested, re-compiled and it loads fine.

One final piece of info, I think, is that I have another set from the same author and this has the same issue. All mdls both sets.

The logical thought is that there is something that the author does that MCX doesn't cope with or complain about.

Does anybody have any ideas? I can supply the original zip and my conversion if it helps anybody.
Bottom line conversion seems to work but FS9 silently crashes when loading the model.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I have the same issue with two aircraft, the Electra and the Awesome DC-3. They were reported in the other thread on FS9 conversions. I found a workaround was to load the default Cessna (or whatever) first, then load the plane. This usually works. It cannot be the plane that loads right after FS start.

I don’t know if Arno is looking into this, I haven’t heard from him about this and my other issues in a while.

There were a few early FS9 aircraft that suffered from this problem, but I haven’t seen it in years.

Country
us-michigan
I have had issues Steve with the FDE not playing nice with a few specific modelers as well. Try swapping the .air file with something close and just see if it will display to rule that out. Just an idea.

Greg

Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks guys.
Tom, that sounds like a good idea but this is an AI aircraft not a flyable so it doesn't quite gel on this occassion. I will however, store that info for future reference.

Greg, I will try to see if it is an air file thing. I haven't heard of this before but it does sound like something that should at least be ruled out.

I thought that it might be an effect issue so I made sure that the generated light effects were replaced with working FS9 ones but alas that did not make any difference.

Any more thoughts please make them known and I will let you know if I get anywhere.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Yeah, some air files are FSX only and you need to swap an FS9 version.

Country
unitedkingdom
You guys were correct. Looking at the .air file the modeller had removed all parms below 341 except for 1, the name. This obviously works for FSX and P3D but FS9 obviously has at least some compulsory fields below 341.
I just added the default fields from the B737 and hey presto the aircraft showed up.

It would be nice to know the compulsory fields but this is beyond the scope of MCX. So I now have Nimrods, next to get the Mirage 2000s on board.

Country
us-michigan
Glad that was figured out! Thanks for digging deeper into the missing fields.. was wondering what was missing for a few of my past attempts at using FSX .air files and them CTD.

Greg

Country
us-virginia
I wanted to post a file format question here... I am trying to make a carrier version of an aircraft; I reached out to the original dev and was provided the parts but in a file format of .FSP... When I tried to open the parts with MCX it seems MCX does not support this format... I have tried to reach out further to the dev but haven't heard anything further... In the meantime I was wondering is there a way to get MCX to open .FSP files? Thanks!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I have never heard of FSP files to be honest. Are you not confusing it with the FSC format from FSDS?

Country
us-virginia
Hey Arno,

I imagine they are from FSDS here they are for you to have a look at... if you don't mind please delete them from the post once you have them. Thanks!

Attachments

• Hook.zip
    29.4 KB · Views: 10
Country
unitedkingdom
Arno,
I found a weird bug that took me a day to work out how to get over it.
I apologize in advance for the long post but I thought that if I explained the whole process it might help you diagnose what is going wrong.

First of the mdl is an FSX one.

MAIW_0885.jpg

So the issue relates to texture switching. The texture involved is hsai_m2000_l which is used for both the canopy reflection and the slime lights.

There are two entries in the Material Editor for the texture. The first or top most is for the slimes :-

MAIW_0886.jpg

The second or bottom of the two is for the reflections :-
MAIW_0887.jpg

One thing to note here is that the Diffuse color has the fourth parm for opacity.

One other piece of setup info is that when searching on the texture you can see that the MP is set to the top definition, for the slimes. The canopy parts were set to the bottom definition for transparency.

MAIW_0888.jpg

After removing a couple of parts that are not working in FS9 and without touching either the Material Editor or the relevant parts. I exported. This was successful.
So I imported the FS9 mdl. What I notice straight away was that there was no reflections on the canopy and the slimes did not show in night render mode.

MAIW_0896.jpg

Now I know that the reflections for FS9 are really unrealistic in MCX but they are very obvious. So I started hunting around. This is what I found :-

MAIW_0898.jpg

For the top definition, slimes, apart from the fact that the Emissive texture had been dropped the Diffuse color had acquired an opacity parm. I could not either add the Emissive texture nor remove the extra parm from Diffuse.

MAIW_0890.jpg

For the bottom definition, reflections, the opacity parm had been dropped from Diffuse. I tried several times to correct the definitions and re-export but to no avail when I re-imported.

I then found another factor :-
MAIW_0891.jpg

The definition used by the slimes no longer used the first definition but the second. When I checked the reflection parts they were now the first parm.

I won't go into all the options I tried because this would make a long drawn out description even more confusing. I thought about it all for a while and decided to try something radical.
The ONLY thing that I found to work was to replace the definitions of the top, slime, texture with the definitions of the bottom, reflection, texture and replace the parms in the bottom def with the ones from the from the top.
However, this changed the MP settings so I then had to swap all of the appropriate materials over. So the ones using the top definition were swapped to the bottom and the ones using the bottom were swapped to the top.

One final hurdle was to get the night slimes back. The answer was to clone the hsai_m2000_l.bmp to hsai_m2000_lm.bmp and add that to the Emissive texture and it would accept that.

The final result:-

MAIW_0897.jpg

The canopy appears as chrome in MCX but in the game it appears fine.

Hopefully I laid this all our well enough to help you find the bug but I will answer any queries if you have any.
It goes without saying that I can supply the original mdl and any conversion or textures that you may find useful recreating the problem.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks, I'll check this later, next week is a bit busy.