• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

gauge position on the polygon in VC

Hi,
in P3dv5 I try to place a XML gauge on a VC gauge polygon (texture specified by $xy), however it doesn't work, so my question is the position of the gauge that Reads like the coordinates x,y,w,h does it refer to the position on the specific polygon, or is it the position on the overall panel?

I cannot center the gauge on the polygon, no matter what coordinates I am using.

What panel design software do you use? Panelstudio seems very old, are there some other tools to place gauges in a panel?

Thanks for your help.

EDDM

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
You can't. The gauges are baked in to the VC and it's impossible to change them without the source code to the VC and a copy of 3D Studio or Blender.

Country
australia
Hi,
in P3dv5 I try to place a XML gauge on a VC gauge polygon (texture specified by $xy), however it doesn't work, so my question is the position of the gauge that Reads like the coordinates x,y,w,h does it refer to the position on the specific polygon, or is it the position on the overall panel?

I cannot center the gauge on the polygon, no matter what coordinates I am using.

What panel design software do you use? Panelstudio seems very old, are there some other tools to place gauges in a panel?

Thanks for your help.

EDDM
It refers to the mapping of the $xy texture.

In other words, if you have a vc texture that is nominally 1024x1024 pixels you would then map the polygon to either part or all of that texture. This way you can have multiple gauges uses the same vc texture. Or you could have just one gauge using the whole (or part of) the texture.

In the panel.cfg if you specify the VCockpit pixel_size as 1024x1024 then if the coordinates are 0,0,1024,1024 the gauge will cover the whole of the texture. But, you may not see the whole of the gauge if the whole of the texture isn't mapped to a polygon in the VC.

For another example, if only the top half of the vc texture is mapped to a polygon and you specify that the gauge appears at 0,0,1024,512 then you will not see the gauge because the bottom half of the texture isn't mapped to any polygons.

I'd recommend making a checkerboard pattern gauge (with numbering) and then in the panel.cfg set the coordinates so it covers the whole $vc texture area. You can then see how the texture is mapped to the gauges in the polygon.

Hi, thank you.

In attachement you see an overall VC texture of which I have separated one texture and given it a unique name, however how can I map it, to set a single specific gauge there? So far I failed with that (its the round texture).

Attachments

• VCtexture.jpg
    VCtexture.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 24
Country
australia
Is this in Model Converter X? As far as I know you cannot remap textures in MCX. What format are you loading this in? What are you exporting as? It is most likely that you will need to load the model in a 3D modeling program to make changes to the texture mapping.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I tend to take a brute force approach to this, much as the post above. But I use a handy gauge that has a rectangular or square background image and specify it to cover the entire area (0,0,1024,1024). Then find out what part of that gauge is occupying that bit you are interested in. Then I work out where that is on the VC polygon by looking at the pixel location on the gauge bitmap and scaling up.

Is this in Model Converter X? As far as I know you cannot remap textures in MCX. What format are you loading this in? What are you exporting as? It is most likely that you will need to load the model in a 3D modeling program to make changes to the texture mapping.
Yes, I extracted this vc texture from the VC model, then I exported it as wavefront object and loaded in blender. There I separated the round gauge and renamed the material in $rwr. Then I merged it as p3dv4.4 mdl in mcx again with the other VC texture, to have this texture separately. No I am stuck to get the gauge in the right position and scale there...

Country
unitedkingdom
Then I merged it as p3dv4.4 mdl in mcx again with the other VC texture, to have this texture separately. No I am stuck to get the gauge in the right position and scale there...

Perhaps it is possible to use the platform wizard in MCX to deduce the required coordinates of the required $vc material.
Then merge in a new $vc material pre-edited with these coordinates.
I never did try this, but it should work I think.
Also, as it's now a separate part, potentially you could add a mouse rectangle.

Country
australia
Yes, I extracted this vc texture from the VC model, then I exported it as wavefront object and loaded in blender. There I separated the round gauge and renamed the material in $rwr. Then I merged it as p3dv4.4 mdl in mcx again with the other VC texture, to have this texture separately. No I am stuck to get the gauge in the right position and scale there...
If you have the part in Blender then simply in edit mode go to UV - Unwrap and it will remap the texture to take up the whole texture. Ensure the texture is lined up straight though as Blender likes to rotate round things and I think you may need to flip it vertically as well. That's just the way FSX/P3D works if I recall correctly, you need to vertically flip the mapping for vc textures. It's the same as DDS textures, they need to be flipped vertically. At that point 0,0,1024,1024 should work to cover the whole gauge.

See attached screenshot for example. The screen of the GPS is a VC texture and mapped to cover the whole texture space.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    803.4 KB · Views: 19
I never did try this, but it should work I think.
Also, as it's now a separate part, potentially you could add a mouse rectangle.
Hello, yould you please explain, how to get these coordinates out of the vc material in MCX?

Country
unitedkingdom
Hello, yould you please explain, how to get these coordinates out of the vc material in MCX?
Hi, best to practice first with a single rectangular part in MCX.
In MCX, Attached object editor, Auto platform;
Filter normal upwards = 0.001
select desired material;
run
Export as MDL
Import this new MDL into MCX.
Make sure "Display attached objects" is on,
In Attached object editor, remove unwanted platforms,
Export as a .X file
open this .X file with notepad and scroll or search for the platform section, hopefully these coordinates are what you need.

For a circle, I think it would be best to have a square VC texture using the min and max x.y,z ?