• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v3 [SOLVED] ADE does not compile GP with specular textures. (or bump)

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
So the manual says include appropriately named textures as _bump, _detail and _spec in your textures folder of ADE and the P3D compiler will automatically include them in the material settings of your compiled GP BGL, but I have tested this on 2 different material templates and 2 different textures and each time the bump and detail are included, but the specular is left out.
I am using ADE v0.1.75.6372 Beta and ADE-GP v 2.2.05.

specular 1.JPG

specular 3.JPG

specular 2.JPG

The user manual is "wrong". The code is expecting the suffix "_specular", rather than just "_spec".

Since it's a lot easier to change the user manual than to re-issue the code, the former will be changed

Don

Jon, the updated user manual is attached. Please use it in future releases.

Don

Attachments

• ADE-GP - User Manual.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 840
Thank you for the quick reply Don. I don't know why I never thought to try that.

Regards,
Zev.

Instead of opening a new thread, I've edited the title, as this is a similar issue.

This time the material settings for a bump map are included in the object (they are visible in MCXs texture editor as seen above), but the bump effect does not show up in the simulator unless the GP BGL is opened and recompiled with MCX.
On the left is the GP directly out of ADE with detail, spec and (missing) bump effects. On the right is the same GP simply opened and re-exported.

bump map.jpg
It's not a major problem, as there is a work-around, but I just wanted to point it out in case anyone comes across this issue.

You reported above that the bump map was being properly processed. What's the difference between that and this report?

Don

The difference is the material setting is present but the effect is not. Weird I know.

In picture #2 you can see that the bump map is present in the bump texture slot of MCXs Material Editor. But on opening the simulator, the effect does not show up. If I recompile the GP with MCX, the effect then appears.

P.S: This is unrelated to the specular problem I had earlier, as this now works correctly, with and without the bump map.

Please send me the objects, one compiled only by ADE the other recompiled with MCX. (don at stuff4fs dot com)

Don

The only relevant difference between the two objects is that the specular power in the ADE version is 0, while in the MCX version, specular power is non-zero (4842h) - which may be a default value. Please confirm whether or not the specular power in your ADE material settings is non-zero. If it is zero, try setting it to, say 50, and try again.

Don

That is the only difference in the MATE section of the .bgl file related to the bump map. The bump map texture index is OK. There are some other differences regarding diffuse alpha which I didn't comment on before. In the ADE version, alpha_test_function, alpha_test_threshold and final_alpha_multiply are all 0 whereas in the MCX version, they are all 1s. Perhaps these are necessary default values for the bump map to work. Please set them to 1 with the material editor and try again.

Don

I set those too Don. No difference. All the settings are now identical between the 2 BGLs when compared via the material editor. Yet still, one of them does not show a bump effect in sim.

I'm stumped for the moment, but not yet ready to give up. Please send me the final version with all those parameters set, so I can compare the .bgls.

Don

Got it. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Don

PS: I notice the guids differ between the original and latest ADE versions.

Last edited:
There is a, perhaps significant, difference between the original ADE version and the latest - other than the issues we have discussed. That is, the specular alpha value is now 0; it used to be non-0. The screenshot above shows that alpha as 255. and that's what was recorded in the original version.

If the alpha in the specular RGBA field in the Material Editor is now 0, please set it to 255 and try again. If it is not 0, then please send the .ad4 file.

Don

I can confirm that the specular alpha is 255 within the ADE material editor. I have sent the AD4 file.

Back