• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS [SOLVED] Help needed with combined textures baked in Blender only outputting in Green.

Country
unitedkingdom
I previously baked my textures in Blender 2.79 and they were the correct colour.

After changing the mesh in my project I am re-baking some of my textures in Blender 2.93 (also tried 2.83) but all the textures are coming out a shade of green as shown in the red boxes below.

I have tried various different selection combinations, but can't see what I'm doing wrong.

Can anyone point me in the right direction and tell me what I am doing wrong to only get green textures please?

I am using the gITF 2.0 format for MSFS Add-on preset.

Old Textures from Blender 2.79
T188CockpitFloorTubes.png

New textures from Blender 2.93
T188CockpitFloorTubesGreen.png

Baking settings.
Blender2.93 Bake.JPG
02Feb22 Blender Nodes.JPG

Attachments

• T188CockpitFloorTubesGreen.png
    T188CockpitFloorTubesGreen.png
    1 MB · Views: 89
This could be due to including the glossy channel. Since the material is set up using the COMP texture into the roughness parameter, and using the green channel, this may contribute the odd result.
If you are using a PBR workflow, I would think the baked texture would be just the diffuse channel and not combined.

Country
unitedkingdom
Thank you sal1800.

I tried combined, with Direct influence selected and no glossy and I got a darker shade of green as the output. With Indirect only as the influence, I got an even darker shade of green.

I tried Diffuse (not combined) and colour only and I did get a washed-out bake in the correct colour, but it was very flat with no depth.

Edit: It occurred to me that maybe the lighting source contains a lot of green light which is causing that tint. Some of the environmental HDRi sources have green foliage. Try changing the HDRi? My first response is below...

That's exactly what the diffuse channel should be. Depth will come from the lighting when the model is displayed in the sim. The sharpness of specular highlights will come from the roughness map when you create that. If you also create an ambient occlusion map, that can contribute deeper shading in the areas you specify. The last map is the metalness that will contribute environmental reflections to the areas you specify.

All of this is the purpose of the PBR technique. Baking the highlights and shadows into a single texture is last generation technology. Most texture artists have moved on to other applications such as Substance Painter to apply materials and texture maps to their models as the workflow is faster than baking multiple textures from Blender.

What is curious to me is that this material apparently already has all of the texture maps as shown in your screenshot. I'm not understanding the purpose of baking a new texture unless you are changing some material parameters.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
I will try a different environmental HDRi source as the one I’m using does include green foliage.

I’m using Substance Painter for PBR textures and have been using baked textures from Blender as a base texture in my Substance materials to give a bit more definition and to use as a guides.

Country
unitedkingdom
Solved.

Embarrassingly it was the green Environment Occluder that I always hid while working in Blender, but did not deselect from the object render list.