• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Texture / material export issues

Country
unitedstates
Hi;
It's been years since I have worked on anything to do with Flight sims. A while back I got into Blender and immediatly thought about my past plane projects hoping for a way to import them from Gmax. Long story short I took some time to get familiar with Blender and now that I have with help from the Flight Sim community I have successfully imported my Gmax projects into blender.
I've been doing some preliminary testing on exporting to FSX. There are a number of issues but I will cover one at a time.
This is how my export test file looks in blender.

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

Looks good and ready for an update.

Now how it looks in the Flight Sim.

Image5.jpg

Image6.jpg

Image7.jpg

I'm using Blender 3.6. Can't figure it out. The textures are the same ones the Gmax version of this plane uses in FSX with no issues. I've tried creating the MDL with Diffuse map only with the same results.
I look forward to any suggestions and will provide whatever more info is needed.

Thanks
Aquilla

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...
It doesn't appear to be the textures. It looks like the troubled areas are pulling or being stretched. It is hard to tell but are the areas in quads?

Country
unitedstates
I have converted the polys to quads so yes, but there are some triangles left.
Image8.jpg

I have also tried isolating the faces.

Image9.jpg

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
The light blue lines need to be removed. They sharpen the edge lines. They most likely occurred from importing. Clear/ Remove them and smooth the faces that only need to be smooth while in edit mode.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
You are correct that sharp edge lines happen during import. However I applied the ones in the pic above cause I want those edges to be sharp. It didn't work.
I tried your suggestion to smooth the appropriate polys in edit mode but that was ignored on export as well. Ultimately what worked was splitting the parts based on
"smooth groups" then rejoining them without merging the vertices. Not the method I prefer but it worked. My next challenge is going to be the bump map. Looks
great in Blender but creates bad shadows in FSX. I'm working on a theory.

Country
unitedkingdom
I've also found that in some instances I still get left with aileron corners that look exactly like that. Using autosmooth fixes that but causes other problems with the object. Got round it by bursting the corner vertex into three separate vertices and placing them all back in the same location. Can then have a smoothed aileron or flap object.