• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS ADE2020 Steam

Country
norway
I have tried everything (some of you know me to do this as I am a more or less "relic" or "long time" ADE user).

I have MSFS Steam version. Been rocking and rolling, tried to open as BGL, ADE4, XML P3D related or FSX related, ADE crashes anyhow. Opening a stock airport though, swell, works well. Thing is I want to open my old ADE4 projects in order to not start everything anew, but this seems to not be working at all with the Steam version, even if I set all paths correctly. This being only a feedback while I continue to fight in the internal MS editor.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I have tried everything (some of you know me to do this as I am a more or less "relic" or "long time" ADE user).

I have MSFS Steam version. Been rocking and rolling, tried to open as BGL, ADE4, XML P3D related or FSX related, ADE crashes anyhow. Opening a stock airport though, swell, works well. Thing is I want to open my old ADE4 projects in order to not start everything anew, but this seems to not be working at all with the Steam version, even if I set all paths correctly. This being only a feedback while I continue to fight in the internal MS editor.
Some screen shots of the error messages would be helpful. I don't think it has anything to do with the Steam edition.

Country
norway
I just sent an error message with a short explanation directly from ADE when it crashed. This was trying to open the airport (engm_apx.bgl) file from my FSX version Airports of Norway. Here's a pic of my paths btw:

ade01.JPG

Last edited:

GHD

Country
england
You need to use "File -> Open Project from Bgl" and browse to your old airport bgl.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK - please post the bgl file you are trying to load.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK - I need to check to see what is going on but I can replicate an error

Country
norway
Just spinning my mind here. If I remember correctly using the Steam version, Steam (or MSFS) suggested "FS2020" as a path for the content, and I took my habit from P3D and renamed FS2020 to FS2020 Content when doing the Steam install. I also noted ADE suggested FS2020. I had to rename that path to FS2020 Content. Anyway thing is I have both the basic sim files and the content on my D partition, while the cfg's and such resides in my C:\Appdata. Don't know if this is helpful or not but what I got:wave:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks Andrew - it seems there are still problems in setting paths for the Steam edition automatically

Country
australia
Mmm the path for Steam Content seems unusual. Are you sure you installed it under Steam Common? Steam installs its content under Steam folders but asks you for a path to install FS to. Installing it under Steam itself can cause issues. I read somewhere (maybe Steam forums) that placing FS under Steam can cause circular references and also prevent backups of itself to fail.
As someone suggested place the actual FS folder off the root of the drive as FS2020 or Flight Simulator 2020 etc.
Steam just holds its own contents and is “separate”

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I have found an issue with the bgl file when generating apron surface material. I don't know why yet but I am working on it

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK I found an issue reading oil_treated aprons which I have fixed. I needed to delete all the exclusion rectangles, scenery objects and jetways. At that point I was able to build this in a project

Country
england
Should the latest Alpha_13 get the paths right? Mine doesn't find the correct path for the application. Comes up with a directory called Chucky in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ which is the right path just the wrong final directory. (Not sure what Chucky is.)

Country
norway
OK I found an issue reading oil_treated aprons which I have fixed. I needed to delete all the exclusion rectangles, scenery objects and jetways. At that point I was able to build this in a project
That I can easily live with. As long as my afcad including twy signs and approaches are read from the bgl when I open it, that's all I need. I have nightmares about making all the parkings and twy signs from start. I know how to read a xml and could try to manually remove stuff from there before trying to open it. Already tried a few times btw, and ADE crashed.

Country
norway
Mmm the path for Steam Content seems unusual. Are you sure you installed it under Steam Common? Steam installs its content under Steam folders but asks you for a path to install FS to. Installing it under Steam itself can cause issues. I read somewhere (maybe Steam forums) that placing FS under Steam can cause circular references and also prevent backups of itself to fail.
As someone suggested place the actual FS folder off the root of the drive as FS2020 or Flight Simulator 2020 etc.
Steam just holds its own contents and is “separate”
Windows explorer shows my FS2020 Content folder have the path Steam\Steamapps\Common\FS2020 Content. Now wait a minute... did I forget to point to the subfolder \Community?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Windows explorer shows my FS2020 Content folder have the path Steam\Steamapps\Common\FS2020 Content. Now wait a minute... did I forget to point to the subfolder \Community?
What does ADE Show when you use find to get paths. The Content folder contains two others Official and Community. The Community folder is where your addons go

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
That I can easily live with. As long as my afcad including twy signs and approaches are read from the bgl when I open it, that's all I need. I have nightmares about making all the parkings and twy signs from start. I know how to read a xml and could try to manually remove stuff from there before trying to open it. Already tried a few times btw, and ADE crashed.

The project still contains the taxi signs and approach code but whether the approach code would work is some thing else. I attach the ADE project that I generated with the fix etc. There may still be some issues but it does display in ADE

Attachments

• engm_andrew_Backup.zip
    257.9 KB · Views: 176
Country
norway
What does ADE Show when you use find to get paths. The Content folder contains two others Official and Community. The Community folder is where your addons go
Here's a shot. As you can see ADE "finds" the FS2020, but my content folder is named "FS2020 Content". It does not find the Application. My old project opens fine now, but I get problems when trying to build, so I'll have a peek at the xml code myself.

ade02.JPG

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Here's a shot. As you can see ADE "finds" the FS2020, but my content folder is named "FS2020 Content". It does not find the Application. My old project opens fine now, but I get problems when trying to build, so I'll have a peek at the xml code myself.

View attachment 67610
Did you update alpha 13 with the small patch I released? It should fix the problem with the content folder giving up when it finds a space