• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Help with Substance Painter Exporting

Country
unitedstates
My brain is about fried with Substance Painter today. I finally got the textures exported but I see that it's exported Roughness and Metal as separate files. The MSFS plugin expects those to be combined into different colors of the same bitmap, right? I'm using an MSFS Export Template I got here on the forum. So.......help?

Also, I'm wondering if I should be able to see them in Blender with Material Preview. Right now I'm seeing no change after I load them.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
You will need to look at the preset for MSFS within SP.

Country
unitedstates
You will need to look at the preset for MSFS within SP.
Thanks, yes. Done and fixed. Now I have the right set of images. Next step is to get the images to display in Blender. Here's the images...a simple sign.
images.png

They look right. Next, here's what the sign looks like in Substance Painter...
SubstancePainter.png

That looks pretty good. Lastly, though, here's what it looks like in Blender after loading the textures. I'm getting close but still looking for the cigar.

blender.png

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
The UV section and the graphic node - its hard to read. Need to see those 2 sections. The UV should be pointing to the Albedo map.

Country
unitedstates
The UV section and the graphic node - its hard to read. Need to see those 2 sections. The UV should be pointing to the Albedo map.
Do you mean select the albedo in the drop down in the UV Editor?

I got it working...with a caveat....(I deleted the contents of the Shader Editor for both materials, then set the MSFS plugin to "disabled" and back to "MSFS Standard". Then, at the top of the material, I clicked Use Nodes and there it was. Not sure what Use Nodes does.)

Here's the UV Editor with the sign albedo (and looks right)...

sign_albedo.png

But here's the albedo for other parts of the sign (what I call White_Metal material). That doesn't look as right since it seems to cover the "Sign" part too, but, maybe that's because it's a smart material??

white_metal_albedo.png

In Substance Painter, here's the Metal view for White Metal...
SP_White_Metal_metal.png

And, finally, here's what the sign now looks like:...so I can't really complain.
blenderright.png

Country
unitedstates
Finally, this is what I get in the XML file when I export (everything in the dialog is checked and filled out):
<?xml version="1.0" ?> <ModelInfo guid="{c256552b-c0a6-4254-2cc4-34a483d69132}" version="1.1"/>
Looks pretty blank and it doesn't Open as a Project in MSFS. I am wondering if I should copy an XML from one of the samples and try to use it.

EDIT: Hmmm. So, studying the sample projects, I see that the XML above looks correct...it's just that I don't have the rest of a real project. This makes sense, I guess. This sign is only an object that belongs on an airport and needs to be put into the larger context of an airport project. So, I guess I have to get busy on that.

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
It appears you have 2 albedo maps. One with the smart material and the other the with the stylish 'S'.

The 1 with just the smart material is not seen since you covered it up with the other. Basically, wasting memory.

If you are trying to have the material like metal of some kind then you need to adjust the material with the 'S' on it. Keep in mind that painted metal isn't classified as metal. So, it will have the shine from the paint not the metal.

Country
unitedstates
It appears you have 2 albedo maps. One with the smart material and the other the with the stylish 'S'.

The 1 with just the smart material is not seen since you covered it up with the other. Basically, wasting memory.

If you are trying to have the material like metal of some kind then you need to adjust the material with the 'S' on it. Keep in mind that painted metal isn't classified as metal. So, it will have the shine from the paint not the metal.
I'll have to learn how to adjust those bitmaps at some point. The 'S' is a bitmap itself. It's imported as a 'texture' and then I assigned it to 'Base Color' of the SP texture. I was about to just export everything and then use Photoshop to paint it on and I read the trick on a forum and, somehow, it worked. SP doesn't seem to have a formal way to do it.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
What I suggest is learn how to place decals or using stencils in Substance Painter. There is a great tutorial, unfortunately, I don't have the link for it at this present time. I will get it to you sometime later this evening.

Country
unitedstates
What I suggest is learn how to place decals or using stencils in Substance Painter. There is a great tutorial, unfortunately, I don't have the link for it at this present time. I will get it to you sometime later this evening.
Thanks.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Here is the tutorial on decals, stencils, and material stamps! Have used all of them depending on the circumstances. The tutorial explains when and where as well. :)

Country
unitedstates
Here is the tutorial on decals, stencils, and material stamps! Have used all of them depending on the circumstances. The tutorial explains when and where as well. :)

Interesting video. It's tempting to think about using decals for things like windows and doors. Normally, I'd make some cuts on a wall to show where to put them but that might make a building more complex than it needs to be. Using decals I could put it all on textures. The problem is getting them all to line up. I'm curious what others think about this.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
I've been using material stamps. From the tutorial, you can use albedo, metallic, and normal maps accordingly. In placing them, I assign them as materials. So within Substance, you would place them in the correct location and height, etc.

Country
unitedstates
I've been using material stamps. From the tutorial, you can use albedo, metallic, and normal maps accordingly. In placing them, I assign them as materials. So within Substance, you would place them in the correct location and height, etc.
So, do you mark out faces (polygons) where the stamps go in blender to make them more accurate? I was thinking the scenery would be drawn more efficiently with fewer polygons.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
There are 2-ways in handling the material stamps or decals. The material created is just a placeholder - adding material or placing the material stamp on a polygon that is already there. Windows as you have suggested could be handled, either way, loop-cuts could help in the aligning of.

Keep in mind, where the decal, stencil, or material stamp is placed, the polygon, in most cases, is usually already there. For example, a door with a material stamp of a door handle. The door is already there (polygon). You would only be adding the material stamp from within Substance Painter.

Last edited: