• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v5 [SOLVED] Need help getting CVX BGL airport background exclusion poly to work in P3D v5

Country
us-illinois
Hi Mark:

I agree with Christopher's recommendation to try a new installation of SBuilderX v3.15. :)

Richard Ludowise (aka "rhumbaflappy", aka "Dick") has made a full install of SBuilderX v3.15 inside a ZIP file that can be un-ZIPped to your chosen location.

This will be totally independent from any other installation of SBuilderX 3.14 or 3.15.

If necessary, rename your old folder chain from any prior SBuilderX installations to avoid a conflict with the one inside Dick's ZIP file.

Here is a couple of excerpts from my older posts with some pertinent info:

First, I would recommend that you use the newest SBuilderX version 3.15:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/sbuilderx-v315.441705/

NOTE: For use of SBuilderX with Windows-10, it is now recommended that you perform a new install of SBuilderX version 3.15 which is kept entirely separate from any existing SBuilderX version 3.13 or 3.14 installation:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/sbuilderx-v315.441705/

1.) If desired, ZIP any existing *.SBP project and/or *.SBX exchange format data files and save to a different 'backup' folder

2.) Place the SBX315.zip file (cited above) within the root of ex: drive D:\

3.) Use ex: WinRAR free demo version to extract (de-archive) that ZIP file with all its nested sub-folder intact

https://www.win-rar.com/download.html?&L=0

NOTE: Be certain that WinRAR is set to "Extract Relative Paths" to preserve folder structure when un-ZIP-ing. :pushpin:

You should end up with a ready-to-use install of SBuilderX version 3.15 containing all required folders and files.

4.) Browse to ex: D:\SBX315\SBuilderX.exe

a.) Right-click > choose Create Shortcut

b.) Within the D:\SBX315\SBuilderX folder, Right-click the new 'Shortcut' to SBuilderX.exe (the one with a small arrow on it)

(1) From the Right-click pop-up context menu, choose 'Properties'

(2) In the 'Properties' dialog, choose the {Compatibility} tab

(3) On the 'Properties' dialog {Compatibility} tab, Left-click [Change settings for all users] button

(4) In 'Properties' {Compatibility} tab [Change settings for all users] dialog, check 'Run this program as an administrator'

(5) Left-click [OK] button]

(6) Back on the 'Properties' dialog {Compatibility} tab, Left-click [OK] button]

c.) Within the D:\SBX315\SBuilderX folder, double-Left-click the new 'Shortcut' to SBuilderX.exe (it has a small 'arrow' on it)

d.) You should now be able to run SBuilderX version 3.15 as an Administrator without file / folder path permission errors.

SBuilderX version 3.15 is compatible with P3Dv4.4 (and P3Dv5.x; this example work-flow is for P3Dv4.x). :pushpin:

Be certain a 'current' version of FSUIPC compatible with P3Dv4.4 is installed (...also required for ADE and other FS utilities). ;)

As with prior versions of FSX and/or P3D, decide which version of FS you wish to output for when compiling scenery in SBuilderX, and be certain that the SDK "Tools" specific to that version of FS are the only ones located within:

[SBuilderX315 install path]\Tools sub-folder

NOTE: The above cited required FS SDK "Tools" include these SDK compilers and SDK compilation-related configuration files:

Included with "Full SBuilderX" version 3.15 ZIP package:

EXX.xml XML Document
FLX.xml XML Document
FWX.xml XML Document
HGX.xml XML Document
HLX.xml XML Document
HPX.xml XML Document
PKX.xml XML Document
RDX.xml XML Document
RRX.xml XML Document
STX.xml XML Document
UTX.xml XML Document

bglcomp.exe Application (FS2004)
bglcomp.xsd XSD File (FS2004)

FSX or P3D files NOT included with "full" SBuilderX" version 3.15 ZIP package::

bglcomp.exe Application
bglcomp.xsd XSD File

FSX: [FSX SDK install path]\SDK\Environment Kit\BGL Compiler SDK\

P3Dv4.4: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.4.16.27106\World\Scenery\

Managed_CrashTree.dll DLL File
Managed_Lookup_Keyword.dll DLL File

FSX: [FSX SDK install path]\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\FSX_GmaxGamePack\Plugins\

P3Dv4.4: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.4.16.27106\Modeling\3ds Max\Common\Plugins\

ImageTool.exe Application

FSX: [FSX SDK install path]\SDK\Environment Kit\Terrain SDK\ImageTool.exe

P3Dv4.4: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.4.16.27106\ImageTool.exe

Resample.exe Application
Shp2Vec.exe Application

FSX: [FSX SDK install path]\SDK\Environment Kit\Terrain SDK\

P3Dv4.4: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.4.16.27106\World\Terrain\

Terrain.cfg CFG File

FSX: [FSX install path]\ (...main root folder)

P3Dv4.4: < ? >

XToMdl.exe Application

FSX: [FSX SDK install path]\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\FSX_GmaxGamePack\Plugins\XToMdl.exe

P3Dv4.4: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.4.16.27106\Modeling\3ds Max\Common\Plugins\XToMdl.exe

FYI: These 'could' be swapped in and out of ZIP archives kept in that same sub-folder using a batch file, PowerBuilder etc.

PS: You may find these SDK files easier by looking at file / folder path info in Arno's ModelConverterX (aka "MCX") > Options

AFAIK, the following 'should' work to use P3D SDK's with SBuilderX; if not let me know. ;)

1.) After having installed P3Dv4.4 SDK to its default location, run:

C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.4.16.27106\ConfigSDK.exe

2.) In Arno's ModelConverterX (aka "MCX"):

a.) MCX Menu > Options > {Left Pane} > Exporter Settings > {Right Pane}: Note the info for all Exporter files required by SBuilderX :

P3Dv4_[SDK Compiler or other file name]_Path

b.) MCX Menu > Options > {Left Pane} > FS Related Settings > {Right Pane} > P3Dv4_Path (...to modeldef.xml) > Browse / select:

C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.4.16.27106\Modeling\3ds Max\bin\modeldef.xml

c.) Note the info for:

P3Dv4_Path (...to modeldef.xml)

3.) In SBuilderX version 3.15 (...opened concurrently with an instance of MCX running as cited above)

a.) SBuilderX Menu > Edit > FSX Settings > Name of the simulator: P3Dv4.4

b.) SBuilderX Menu > Edit > FSX Settings > {FSX\Tools folder required files} > [Copy From...] > Browse paths in MCX 'Options' cited above

PS: I added path info in my post above, for FSX / P3Dv4.4 SDK files required to be in: SBuilderX install path\Tools sub-folder:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/sbuilderx-v315-p3dv4-4-compatibility.444429/post-813659

Hope this helps ! :)

PS: It has been a while since you first began working on this project; ...remember this thread ? ;)

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/ideas-for-terrain-textures-for-historic-airport.426230/

GaryGB

Gary -

Thank you again for your exhaustive research on this. I wondered if my SBX315 was not pointing toward the proper P3Dv5.1 SDK tools, so using your list of what's NOT included in the SBX315 download (which I had originally downloaded through the link you included in your response), I copied the individual tools from the P3Dv5.1 SDK to the SBX315 Tools folder. I'm happy to report I am now able to successfully compile a working BGL for the airport boundary exclusion polygon! Also, running the resulting BGL file through CVX Extractor produces the expected .dbf, .shp, .shx and xml files.

I thought I had done the setup of tool links in the SBX > Edit > FSX Settings GUI correctly, but evidently not. They did not show as red (meaning they were found in the SBX > Tools folder), but didn't realize they were probably the supplied FSX versions and not the correct versions for P3D.

Thank you so much for your help with this!

Mark

Last edited:

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
I thought I had done the setup of tool links in the SBX > Edit > FSX Settings GUI correctly, but evidently not. They did not show as red (meaning they were found in the SBX > Tools folder), but didn't realize they were probably the supplied FSX versions and not the correct versions for P3D.
Just a side note, I used the standard FSX versions that come with SBX to generate the BGL I posted above.

Either way, glad to see that you got it working!

Country
us-illinois
Gary -

Thank you again for your exhaustive research on this. I wondered if my SBX315 was not pointing toward the proper P3Dv5.1 SDK tools, so using your list of what's NOT included in the SBX315 download (which I had originally downloaded through the link you included in your response), I copied the individual tools from the P3Dv5.1 SDK to the SBX315 Tools folder. I'm happy to report I am now able to successfully compile a working BGL for the airport boundary exclusion polygon! Also, running the resulting BGL file through CVX Extractor produces the expected .dbf, .shp, .shx and xml files.

Thank you so much for your help with this!

Mark

Hi Mark:

Glad that helped; sorry about the "info buffet" format I served up due to limited time availability today. :laughing:

GaryGB