• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Collision meshes for aircraft [Blender2MSFS]

Country
germany
Hello everyone,

According to the docs, the MSFS engine is able to deal with collision meshes. The description is for 3DsMax and it somewhat reads as if this was for scenery.
I am using the Blender2MSFS Plugin (0.4.0) and want to apply it to the aircraft.

My experiments showed, that adding a box to the aircraft, giving it "invisible" material and setting "Collision" to checked does not lead to the desired effect.

1623184308236.png

For testing purposes, I added the box (1), gave it invisible material (2) and checked collision material (3).

I also did a couple of variations regarding hierarchy and naming. Naming that structure above "Mesh_Collider" as in the docs and putting it under a *_LOD0 named root object did not help.

Any hints?

Country
canada
collision mesh issues for aircraft. possible fix?

Country
germany
Hi, what are your steps to create a working "collidable" surface for scenery with blender? Which setting do we need to appy?

Country
canada
Make a collision mesh - a box say use MSFS invisible, and set the material as collision. Normals face in. This is for aircraft and VR.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Thanks! And for buildings we need to use something different?
Buildings are the same. I just make an invisible box slightly inside the building and tick it as collision. I only do this on LOD0. Seems to work.

I have some wildlife moving around in a script, and they jump on top of the collision box. Without a collision, they pass through the building.

Country
germany
Buildings are the same. I just make an invisible box slightly inside the building and tick it as collision. I only do this on LOD0. Seems to work.

I have some wildlife moving around in a script, and they jump on top of the collision box. Without a collision, they pass through the building.
Hi! It does not work for me... I tried a simple cube but I can just taxi with my plane right through it.
Could you attach an example like a simple cube that works?
And what kind of exporter do you use?

Country
unitedkingdom
is this collision stuff the same thing you'd use to exclude the airfield long grass coming into a glider cockpit? And after export is the collision/exclusion definition entirely in the gltf file referencing the model parts (so at least I, the non-modeller, can check it). We're having a tough time between having the long grass come up inside the cockpit or having a massive performance problem on grass airfields.

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
To avoid long grass in the cockpit, it is MSFS Environment Occluder material that you shoud use no MSFS Collision.
I remark that on this last opus: SU5, that MSFS Environment Occluder seems not to work anymore (in SU4 it was working).

Country
unitedkingdom
thanks Didier - your advice is much appreciated. Is it correct I should be able to see the "MSFS Environment Occluder" as a material EnvironmentOccluder in the gltf file of a stock aircraft? My idea is to compare that entry with what we're getting out of Blender2MSFS. (I understand your SU5 comment).

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
When you import a gLTF model in MCX, the green box is the element on which the material MSFS EnvironmentOccluder is applied. It appear in the "Material Windows" (MCX menu) as EnvironmentOccluder but you don't have more informations about this material, just is name :(
So this material is also present in the gLTF file if you open it with Notepad program (gLTF files are ascii files but not the bin part ... of course :cool:).

SU5 release has destroy some functionnalities (Occluder and Visual Effects Editor among others), I hope this will correct with SU6 ... wait and see ;)